Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

558AC63B-C806-46E6-89EF-B177443B1D92.png

I really want to get into League but every club is thoroughly unlikable.

Seriously I could follow like 17 NFL teams and be happy enough but there isn't a single likable League club.

Maybe the Cowboys.

The Rabbitohs are only unlikable because everyone in South Australia with any interest in League follows them.

I really want to get into League but every club is thoroughly unlikable.

Seriously I could follow like 17 NFL teams and be happy enough but there isn't a single likable League club.

Maybe the Cowboys.

The Rabbitohs are only unlikable because everyone in South Australia with any interest in League follows them.
Just go with what suits you.
Was thinking the same. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it will really take off here anyway.. But we shall see what unfolds.

I have a soft-spot for the Storm anyway. Closest team to Adelaide and them and Carlton used to share Visy Park for a bit.

Adelaide has had some decent crowds for games down there recently, enough for talk about a team to kick off again even if it is only a small few, but there are other areas that are far more likely to get a team first.

What is your reasoning behind not liking the teams? Perhaps those of us more in the know could dispel some of your concerns.

I'd like a reasonably well run, proud and successful club, probably from Sydney

That ideally hasn't been involved in a disgraceful scandal this century.

I don't love the idea of merged clubs but I can be swayed I guess.

Obviously, and probably most importantly, they have to have a decent jumper.

And not the Rabbitohs because they are too widely followed and it would be construed as bandwagoning etc

I've looked, but no club has really jumped out at me.

And not the Rabbitohs because they are too widely followed and it would be construed as bandwagoning etc

Shame I can't get you on the Sharks train then. :p

:(

Well I was actually a regular attendee at Western Reds games back in the 90's. Still have my old jerseys. Couldn't believe it when they dumped us and half our old team went on to win a premiership with the Storm.

One of those weird RL facts: Adelaide Rams had the league's highest amount of season-ticket holders when they were dumped. Honestly, I can see why some people have become disillusioned with the game.

Ok lets break this down:

Reasonably well run, proud and successful club: Each club could argue this (well probably at the moment except for Cronulla), especially in Sydney, as all the clubs have a long history (even the Wests Tigers who are only going into their 16th season have a long history due to the link to clubs that came before), and as such have a great deal of success at some point and have very proud fan bases.

Team in Team in Sydney: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, St George-Illawarra Dragons, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers.

Have not been involved in a disgraceful scandal (I am not including individual player ones as that is something that teams have little say in when they happen, plus there are few clubs in any sport that don't have issues like this): Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - 2002 Salary Cap and 2004 sex scandal, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks - ASADA Drugs.

Not a merged club: St George-Illawarra Dragons, Wests Tigers (will discuss this issue below)

Decent Jumper: Personal choice but will discuss below.

Not the Rabbitohs: South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Ok, if we remove the clubs above we are left with: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, Sydney Roosters.

But

You don't want a merged club. I understand this, but do take into consideration that these mergers were not by choice, the only way these clubs could survive in the competition was to merge. Yes there are some issues with the mergers (St George dominating their merger, and Wests and Balmain fans not 100% coming together under one banner), but both are now mostly harmonious and in the case of the Wests Tigers the new board and structure are now completely under the Wests Tigers banner and are only moving forward with that. They understand and respect the history of the two foundation clubs, but the infighting is now no longer an issue at a corporate level, there will still be fans who are divided, but that is the old brigade who are set in their ways. I personally (and without any bias) suggest you do consider these two clubs as they have histories and great supporter bases and just disregarding them because they merged is not a great reason.

Now to the jerseys, this is truly a personal choice but I can talk a bit about them. Firstly if you are after a team with a consistent look that represents the history of the club, then you have a fair few choices as (especially in recent years) most clubs have begun to recognise these histories and have gone back to classic designs. Parramatta, Sydney Roosters, and St-George-Illawarra are all wearing versions of their historical kits, Manly-Warringah have been but have slightly diverted in the last few years, Penrith are trying to create a brand identity so have slightly moved away from their more popular designs, and the Wests Tigers are now beginning to look at sticking to a primary design (double chevron) for years to come (I can confirm this as the Tigers on Sunday held a members meeting which was also broadcast online and covered the corporate and onfield situation and future direction of the club as well as covering all the issues that people had expressed in recent years).

Club breakdown/team perception:

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles: Northern Beaches, upper middle to upper class, has been described by those living there as "Gods Country". Love or Hate club, with those who support them being the "Love" and everyone else in the "Hate", mostly due to the supporters beliefs on where they live.

Parramatta Eels: Western Suburbs club but not completely seen as one. Not a hated team, perceived as a one player club for a while but generally respected or mocked (jovially) for their poor performances.

Penrith Panthers: True Western Suburbs club. Many fans seen as bogans. Team is certainly not hated and some have a soft spot for them as they have been seen as the Western Suburbs battlers.

St George-Illawarra: Weird mix of supporters due to the merger. Long history on one side, some distaste for the club come from the St George side wanting to claim their old premierships even though it is deemed as being a new club post merger.

Sydney Roosters: Eastern Suburbs club, fans have a sense of we are better than you attitude due to living in the Eastern Suburbs or on the beach. Seen as a club that gets away with lots of potential breaches as their playing squad seems to be filled with a large number of potentially high priced players, as well as seemingly being able to get away with murder on the field.

Wests Tigers: Inner West and Western Suburbs club, which creates a very strange demographic when it comes to fans. Very highly liked club across the board due to playing style.

I am not going to try and sell you on a team *cough*Wests Tigers*cough*, because it is completely your choice. But perhaps have a look through some old footage if you can, or have a good read about each club and maybe something will begin to stick out.

I appreciate your effort mate.

I'll do a bit more research based on what you've given me

Just barrack for Newcastle! Same colours as the Rams!!! :D:p

Newcastle are a good team, they were actually my first team (and still have a soft spot for) before I became a Magpies then due to the merger Tigers fan.

Or Canberra.....they bought the Rams..

That would be good if you want a team that cannot get top players because they don't want to live in Canberra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back