Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know - I would put him on the list as a non rookie.
I think the club has a policy of keeping players on rookie lists as long as possible....it helps us with managing the salary cap, so we would likely keep at least 1 on the rookie list as the nominated rookie (I anticipate that to be Wood).

Don't forget we will probably go with 38 on the senior list so will have 2 nominated rookies for the whole season. Garlett, Curnow, Bell all had an extra year on the rookie list despite being part of our plans the next year. It enables us to have half of their salary outside the cap.

Oh ok - now I get it. Would have thought with Waite/Garlett/Robinson(?) McLean ( ?) gone - there was room (enough) on salary cap to allow for Sheehan?

At any rate - his performance towards end was great- if Jacksh is better than Sheehan - we are very fortunate.

Oh ok - now I get it. Would have thought with Waite/Garlett/Robinson(?) McLean ( ?) gone - there was room (enough) on salary cap to allow for Sheehan?

At any rate - his performance towards end was great- if Jacksh is better than Sheehan - we are very fortunate.

The only reason to upgrade Sheehan is if we need another nominated rookie spot open for someone else. Not sure Blaine Johnson has done enough to earn one yet so will have to sweat on long term injuries. Then do we allow for the possibility of Byrne or a new rookie coming from nowhere to demand a spot?

Jaksch and Sheehan are different player types. Jaksch will take longer because he is a key tall, just turned 20.

Kane Lucas made his debut in Rd 3 2010, this means that he has been at the club for 5-years yet has managed only 42 senior games. If he had any "upside", I think we would have seen it by now.

The issue with Kane is clearly above the head. We've seen on a number of occasions he has the ability to play at AFL level.
Think he just needs to get a decent run at it early next year (should he stay on the list).

Even Mick says we need a speedy wingmen. And we've pretty much got one in Kane.

The only reason to upgrade Sheehan is if we need another nominated rookie spot open for someone else. Not sure Blaine Johnson has done enough to earn one yet so will have to sweat on long term injuries. Then do we allow for the possibility of Byrne or a new rookie coming from nowhere to demand a spot?

Jaksch and Sheehan are different player types. Jaksch will take longer because he is a key tall, just turned 20.

Byrne will play this year..we have hit the jackpot with these three 'Irish"....haven't said anything about them but watched Byrne and Sheehan play a few times in VFL...strong boys...Tuohey must have been playing inured...had to we had no cover...

The issue with Kane is clearly above the head. We've seen on a number of occasions he has the ability to play at AFL level.
Think he just needs to get a decent run at it early next year (should he stay on the list).

Even Mick says we need a speedy wingmen. And we've pretty much got one in Kane.

I suspect you mean above the shoulders and this may be the case with Lucas. Your choice of "above the head" is probably more apt in his case as for the majority of the games I've seen him play he has certainly appeared to be in over his head.

I don't like this time of the year when we are forced to delist players but we know it has to happen to rejuvenate the list.

Simple fact is that Lucas has now been on the list for 5 years and has managed, as Sheik pointed out, 42 games. The list of players that have gone past him grows every year and at some point we have to face the fact that he is not what we all hoped for and I cannot see anything that indicates that will change.

I think he's been cut enough slack already and does anybody seriously think he would still be on the list had he been a 3rd round draft pick?

Fist point yes
Second point - hope not

With Kreuzer fit - Malthouse will use him appropriately I am sure - center bounce clearances were an issue last year...

I really want to see Murph 'released' into first receiver and not have to do all the grunt work...Gibbs/Curnow/Cripps with Kreuzer a pretty strong extraction capability - Murph and Juddy on the burst would be great..if Whiley is better than Bell all the better- Bell hasn't shown himself to be a great extractor..

in 2014...too often teams were able to get the clearances from set play to easily and get momentum...we didnt have the depth and tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect you mean above the shoulders and this may be the case with Lucas. Your choice of "above the head" is probably more apt in his case as for the majority of the games I've seen him play he has certainly appeared to be in over his head.

I don't like this time of the year when we are forced to delist players but we know it has to happen to rejuvenate the list.

Simple fact is that Lucas has now been on the list for 5 years and has managed, as Sheik pointed out, 42 games. The list of players that have gone past him grows every year and at some point we have to face the fact that he is not what we all hoped for and I cannot see anything that indicates that will change.

I think he's been cut enough slack already and does anybody seriously think he would still be on the list had he been a 3rd round draft pick?

Yeah I did mean above the shoulders....just a typo.
We all saw what he could do when he first got to the club. And prior to him hurting his hamstring it looked like we really did find a player.
But injury and a lack of confidence has really hurt him.

If any coach can get the best out of him it'd be Mick.
Still think he has a role to play at Carlton as a wingmen/small forward or even start with the green vest.
Of the 4 un-contracted players we have currently, he'd be the last one I would delist.

Hope you're right Harks. Love their passion and intensity also.........and they talk kinda cool too.

I'm right..............pretty sure.

Commitment is the key and he comes across as a kid with his head screwed on.................unlike Bootsma.

Strong, courageous, can leap, athletic, has good vision, loves to take the game on and sells candy by the kilo...:)

Yeah I did mean above the shoulders....just a typo.
We all saw what he could do when he first got to the club. And prior to him hurting his hamstring it looked like we really did find a player.
But injury and a lack of confidence has really hurt him.

If any coach can get the best out of him it'd be Mick.
Still think he has a role to play at Carlton as a wingmen/small forward or even start with the green vest.
Of the 4 un-contracted players we have currently, he'd be the last one I would delist.

I reckon its too early to give up on Sugar. Moving on a couple that were ahead of him on the curve might give him the opportunity to get up and about. He's got a bit of silk about him and as a rangy HF, who we saw from his U18 days loves a goal, could be just what we need.

I reckon its too early to give up on Sugar. Moving on a couple that were ahead of him on the curve might give him the opportunity to get up and about. He's got a bit of silk about him and as a rangy HF, who we saw from his U18 days loves a goal, could be just what we need.

I'd play him right through the preseason and if his form holds up play him round one against Richmond.
He'll get next to no attention from most opposition clubs and just let him play.
If he can get his 15-20 touches a game then he is well and truly doing his job.

I'd play him right through the preseason and if his form holds up play him round one against Richmond.
He'll get next to no attention from most opposition clubs and just let him play.
If he can get his 15-20 touches a game then he is well and truly doing his job.
And we need to stop making him the sub. He isnt that "impact player" thats going to come on and damage the oppotision....at leasnt not while his confidence is shot. He will hurt the opposition by grinding away during the game and being that important link player.

I'm right..............pretty sure.

Commitment is the key and he comes across as a kid with his head screwed on.................unlike Bootsma.

Strong, courageous, can leap, athletic, has good vision, loves to take the game on and sells candy by the kilo...:)

Love it, shed that conservatism mate. What a difference a couple of days make. (Get over that long, skinny dick-h...):D:)

Think I'd prefer to see Byrne in than Lucas, has heaps of talent, physical aspects don't phase him, very real chance we'll see three Irish players in the one team next year. Looks a genuine half forward flanker, probably work on teaching him to play other positions a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back