Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wonder if any of those 3 delisted will be given the opportunity to train and be rookie listed.

None of the senior guys cut. I wonder though if there would be the slightest chance that we might re-draft Reynolds onto the rookie list. When he was cut, Mick said that he was very unlucky but we needed the spots.
Maybe he would be considered at our 3rd rookie pick?

None of the senior guys cut. I wonder though if there would be the slightest chance that we might re-draft Reynolds onto the rookie list. When he was cut, Mick said that he was very unlucky but we needed the spots.
Maybe he would be considered at our 3rd rookie pick?

Why would they do this though? We only need to make 3 list changes per AFL rules (rookie listed players aren't included in this btw) which we were always going to cover comfortably. Reynolds had only had one of his 3 years on the rookie list, so had two more years to run if he was good enough to be retained...

The only reason we would re-rookie him would be that if no-one better was available at our last rookie selection IMO,even though Mick said he was unlucky I don't see this happening.

We wanted a hff. So we picked Reynolds, Byrne and Johnson in the same year.

Byrne and Johnson responded better, so bye bye Lukey.

Also the reason we didn't trade for Tim Membrey, when the Swans might have taken almost anything than lose him to St Kilda in the PSD.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-23/pelchen-speaks-out

"Pelchen, who said the caliber of the St Kilda recruiting department stacked up to the Hawthorn group he helped oversee, admitted to having informal discussions with Carlton seven weeks ago about their vacant list management role, but said he declined to consider the position seriously."

I actually haven't minded the direction St. Kilda have been taking list wise during his tenure, but I just hope he isn't coming to us. Has a decent track record but gut just tells me he isn't a good fit with the people we already have in place and could cause a lot of conflict. Maybe we need a cat amongst the pidgeons guy, but I would rather someone else personally...

He declined, ha ha!

The informal chat was him leaving a message on Macca's voicemail and Macca not bothering to return it.

Self promoting flog. I think his true reputation has finally caught up with the perceived one.

Brilliant appraisal right there, Faz. Our lamentable attempts at tempo footy had me hiding under my seat most weeks. It was like watching a baby trying to hide a banana from a gorilla.
Yeah, as soon as the first kick went backwards you could look at your watch and know that in less than 30 seconds the other team would be having a shot on goal. I would literally scream at the TV.

These days we switch up a storm! Still, watching every one of our games I find it so predictable, yet it continues to work for us. I guess MM won a flag going the boundary and every team knew they were doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You bunch of sad sacks. Our side is becoming golden. I am getting a really depressing vibe from the BigFooty crowd at the moment. A few of you are seeing the bigger picture, but wait 4 months when the season kicks off I reckon you are all going to be in for a shock at the transformation.

Even if you start with a fit Kreuzer and Thomas coming into the side, how much better does that look! Then you have Everitt and Buckley to come back in. How much more dangerous did we look with those two guys in the side. Everitt is KP height with a massive engine which is super hard to match up on, and we all know how Buckley's presence energises the side. Curnow missed half the season.

Seriously we have a list with Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Thomas, Simpson... thats serious high end talent. The engine of Curnow, Walker, Everitt, Bell. The spark of Yarran and Buckley. Casboult and Henderson will now be 25 and coming right into their own now. Jones will be 24. Our back 6 is starting to settle and we found a mix this year with Jamison, Rowe, White... hopefully Tuohy is now sleeping better after his baby being born and he will look better next year.

Most importantly we have gotten a year into the kids that werent ready to come in to the seniors last year. They will start to come into the side when required and give us a level of depth that wasnt there this year.

We arent top 4, but we will see a return to the 8.

Last edited:
MileHigh you had me at Buckley
What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
HF Walker Casboult Thomas
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Foll Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Int Bell Carrazzo White Byrne

Geez we are playing the tall forward line for the first time in 10 years it feels! Good feeling. How things change so quickly for the 3 amigos from 2013.

What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Geez we are playing the tall forward line for the first time in 10 years it feels! Good feeling. How things change so quickly for the 3 amigos from 2013.

Add Cripps and Graham, 2 guns missing

What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Curnow, Cripps and Jaksch in for Byrne, bell and white and you have my best 22.

You bunch of sad sacks. Our side is becoming golden. I am getting a really depressing vibe from the BigFooty crowd at the moment. A few of you are seeing the bigger picture, but wait 4 months when the season kicks off I reckon you are all going to be in for a shock at the transformation.

Even if you start with a fit Kreuzer and Thomas coming into the side, how much better does that look! Then you have Everitt and Buckley to come back in. How much more dangerous did we look with those two guys in the side. Everitt is KP height with a massive engine which is super hard to match up on, and we all know how Buckley's presence energises the side. Curnow missed half the season.

Seriously we have a list with Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Thomas, Simpson... thats serious high end talent. The engine of Curnow, Walker, Everitt, Bell. The spark of Yarran and Buckley. Casboult and Henderson will now be 25 and coming right into their own now. Jones will be 24. Our back 6 is starting to settle and we found a mix this year with Jamison, Rowe, White... hopefully Tuohy is now sleeping better after his baby being born and he will look better next year.

Most importantly we have gotten a year into the kids that werent ready to come in to the seniors last year. They will start to come into the side when required and give us a level of depth that wasnt there this year.

We arent top 4, but we will see a return to the 8.
you sound just like me at this time lat year MH. It didn't turn out so well and I am keeping the lid on this year. Not a sad sack, a burned sack.

I think Ratts was a bit seduced by our best players' strengths. Ie. Judd, Murphy, Simpson, the quick small forwards. That led to us playing a very run and gun style, a swarming attacking brand of footy that at its best WAS excellent. It was definitely exciting, and well-suited to the bigger grounds. I think it worked in no small part because, at the time, Judd was THAT DAMN GOOD. It gave us a punchers' chance against anyone, but did not consistently deliver wins.

Alas, it could be picked apart by better teams. It could be halted, was susceptible to well-structured defences and the dreaded "loose man in defence" which derailed us about 800 times (*actual figures may vary). It wasn't versatile enough to play a slower game, and we were always weak at executing/playing against tempo footy. Ultimately the brand of footy wasn't good enough to win finals, and in the mean time we perhaps had "flattering" results, whiffed on a ton of draft picks, and hollowed out the list.

I think the jury is STILL out on whether Ratts can coach at the top level effectively. Maybe he made the best of a weak line-up and should be commended? Maybe he drove a style that was never going to be good enough? Maybe he's learned since then too.

Simply put, we were the OG version of what the Suns are now. With gaj as judd 2.0 at peak of his powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curnow has to come in, but for who? Probably Bell. Cripps and Graham for who? These are good problems to have.

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Int Curnow Carrazzo White Byrne

Lets look at depth....

KPP - Watson, Jaksch, Giles
Ruck - Warnock, Wood
Inside mids - Cripps, Graham, Bell, Holman, Ellard
Taggers - Whiley

We really need to recruit some outside run. We have become a really tough looking midfield now along with a very tall forward line and if this is the state of our list we should be smashing and crashing the other teams mids to take the sting out of their run. Working the ball forward and offering the ball up high to our talls in the forward line, locking it in if we cant take a mark and allowing time for our mids to come in and trying to kick our goals that way. We have a lot of hard inside mids who can block which will provide time for someone to have a snap on goal.

Curnow has to come in, but for who? Probably Bell. Cripps and Graham for who? These are good problems to have.

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Int Curnow Carrazzo White Byrne

Lets look at depth....

KPP - Watson, Jaksch, Giles
Ruck - Warnock, Wood
Inside mids - Cripps, Graham, Bell, Holman, Ellard
Taggers - Whiley

We really need to recruit some outside run. We have become a really tough looking midfield now along with a very tall forward line and if this is the state of our list we should be smashing and crashing the other teams mids to take the sting out of their run. Working the ball forward and offering the ball up high to our talls in the forward line, locking it in if we cant take a mark and allowing time for our mids to come in and trying to kick our goals that way. We have a lot of hard inside mids who can block which will provide time for someone to have a snap on goal.
You're confusing Byrne with Sheehan...I hope

What is my side missing?

B Buckley Jamison Tuohy
HB Yarran Rowe Docherty
C Simpson Judd Everitt
F Menzel Henderson Jones

Geez we are playing the tall forward line for the first time in 10 years it feels! Good feeling. How things change so quickly for the 3 amigos from 2013.[/QUOTE]

Treloar is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back