Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have much time today so snuck in a quick run. Raced an old 4.3km time l had in my watch. I must be doing something right, taking 3:06 mins off my previous time set in January. Interested to see how 5km time trial goes on Tuesday week (1st Tuesday of each month). Set PB of 22:15 in June.

Took a week off running to rest up the foot. Did a 10km in 43.23 yesterday, but pulled up as sore as I was a week ago. Might have to bite the bullet, go get it looked at and take a more extended break. Melbourne marathon looking unlikely now.

Didn't have much time today so snuck in a quick run. Raced an old 4.3km time l had in my watch. I must be doing something right, taking 3:06 mins off my previous time set in January. Interested to see how 5km time trial goes on Tuesday week (1st Tuesday of each month). Set PB of 22:15 in June.

3 MINS OFF A 4KM RUN IS DAMN IMPRESSIVE.

Either you were terrible in Jan or you are flying now! Let's go with the latter hey:)

Took a week off running to rest up the foot. Did a 10km in 43.23 yesterday, but pulled up as sore as I was a week ago. Might have to bite the bullet, go get it looked at and take a more extended break. Melbourne marathon looking unlikely now.

I'd like to see your times when you are feeling ok.

3 MINS OFF A 4KM RUN IS DAMN IMPRESSIVE.

Either you were terrible in Jan or you are flying now! Let's go with the latter hey:)
Started running in Sept after 10 years sitting feeling sorry for myself after 2 ACL's. Never felt better now. 8kgs lighter & below my playing weight lol.
Can't speak more highly about a 12 week start run program l participated in locally. Literally run 1 minute/walk 1 minute & build up to a 10km run.
Touch wood by September 2015 l will have run well over 1000kms & 3 half marathon events.

Last edited:
Literally run 1 minute/walk 1 minute & build up to a 10km run.
Touch wood by September 2015 l will have run well over 1000kms & 3 half marathon events.

I need to start doing more exercise as the day job in the office and countless lunches is taking a toll.

Thinking about running around the Tan. How long did you just do 1 min run and 1 minute walk for? How often did you do it at the start?

I need to start doing more exercise as the day job in the office and countless lunches is taking a toll.

Thinking about running around the Tan. How long did you just do 1 min run and 1 minute walk for? How often did you do it at the start?
I will see if l can post a link to the program. Probably a couple of weeks at 1/1 then 2 min run/1 min walk etc, then 5 mins, 8 mins etc. It was 3 times per week (Tues,Thurs nights & Sun morning).
My legs took a bit to get used to the stress but just had to stick at it. We had quite a few drop out due to lots of factors, excuses. As most were at different fitness levels we had turnaround points to pick up the peeps towards the back.

Last edited:

I will see if l can post a link to the program. Probably a couple of weeks at 1/1 then 2 min run/1 min walk etc, then 5 mins, 8 mins etc. It was 3 times per week (Tues,Thurs nights & Sun morning).
My legs took a bit to get used to the stress but just had to stick at it. We had quite a few drop out due to lots of factors, excuses. As most were at different fitness levels we had turnaround points to pick up the peeps forwards the back.

I haven't really looked at it but something like this might help.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

What I do know is that gains can be noticed pretty quickly once you start. Doesn't really matter at what level, you will see the improvement after a few weeks.

Had a good crack at parkrun over the weekend and finished with 20.51. First time ive ran under 21 mins in a long time.
Getting closer every week to the sub 20.

Started running in Sept after 10 years sitting feeling sorry for myself after 2 ACL's. Never felt better now. 8kgs lighter & below my playing weight lol.
Can't speak more highly about a 12 week start run program l participated in locally. Literally run 1 minute/walk 1 minute & build up to a 10km run.

Sounds good ive been looking at trying to ad some intervals i might give that a go

My legs took a bit to get used to the stress but just had to stick at it. We had quite a few drop out due to lots of factors, excuses. As most were at different fitness levels we had turnaround points to pick up the peeps towards the back.
I haven't really looked at it but something like this might help.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

What I do know is that gains can be noticed pretty quickly once you start. Doesn't really matter at what level, you will see the improvement after a few weeks.

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a go in a week or so. Have an injured ankle at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went for my first run in a long time this morning, play sport three days a week and look like I would be pretty fit but actually going for a run on its own is a total different matter. Did 3.5km in about 19m 30s. Felt so good at the end of it that I had gone for a run instead of my normal sit on the couch before work routine. Now just got to find the time for more and keep improving :thumbsu:

Went for my first run in a long time this morning, play sport three days a week and look like I would be pretty fit but actually going for a run on its own is a total different matter. Did 3.5km in about 19m 30s. Felt so good at the end of it that I had gone for a run instead of my normal sit on the couch before work routine. Now just got to find the time for more and keep improving :thumbsu:
Is that running without any break?

Been getting my gear ready the night before so I'm all set for pre-work runs lately (6.00am ish) but never do them.

I'm a reasonably early riser and I never sleep in past 7.00am (even on the weekend with a hangover) but I just can't do that wake up, gear on, head straight out the door thing. Much prefer afternoon/evening runs or morning runs starting 7-7.30am+ if I'm doing a long Sunday run.

Would be convenient to be able to get morning runs in before work so I don't have to come straight home after work and head out the door. Be good instead to be able to help with dinner, kids, clean up etc...

When does everyone else run?

Been getting my gear ready the night before so I'm all set for pre-work runs lately (6.00am ish) but never do them.

I'm a reasonably early riser and I never sleep in past 7.00am (even on the weekend with a hangover) but I just can't do that wake up, gear on, head straight out the door thing. Much prefer afternoon/evening runs or morning runs starting 7-7.30am+ if I'm doing a long Sunday run.

Would be convenient to be able to get morning runs in before work so I don't have to come straight home after work and head out the door. Be good instead to be able to help with dinner, kids, clean up etc...

When does everyone else run?

I can't do mornings either.

I've been running at about 8.00-.8.30pm during the week (after I get home from work and put the kids to bed) and generally in the mornings (around 9.00am) on a weekend.

Mornings for me. Best time of the day with young kids etc. I'm home by 7am when the rest of the family are just getting up.

Up at 5:15am for 5:30am start. Still try & get at least a weekend arvo run in too.

Mornings for me. Best time of the day with young kids etc. I'm home by 7am when the rest of the family are just getting up.

Up at 5:15am for 5:30am start. Still try & get at least a weekend arvo run in too.

I wish I could do that!!

I feel my worst in the morning. Staying up till midnight most nights probably doesn't help.

I prefer to run from work to home, around 18:30ish. My other preferred time is 8:30ish on weekend mornings (subject to no hangover).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back