Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt like it had been a month between runs, but 8 days waiting got me antsy. Only aimed at 5kms, felt pretty good early but did end up tightening up again in the left upper achilles. Almost feels like it's actually my lower calf but pretty sure its my achilles. Not sure if my technique changed up mid run.

Cycling had definitely helped from a fitness POV.

Problem being it was 38 degrees at 2pm, had eaten an hour ago (Which I had forgotten about haha), became dehydrated pretty quickly.

Felt awesome being out there again though.

Felt like it had been a month between runs, but 8 days waiting got me antsy. Only aimed at 5kms, felt pretty good early but did end up tightening up again in the left upper achilles. Almost feels like it's actually my lower calf but pretty sure its my achilles. Not sure if my technique changed up mid run.

Cycling had definitely helped from a fitness POV.

Problem being it was 38 degrees at 2pm, had eaten an hour ago (Which I had forgotten about haha), became dehydrated pretty quickly.

Felt awesome being out there again though.
only issue with achilles is when its at the attachment - as is a tendon it shouldnt be sore around the gastrocnemius area. But as a precaution, get a golf ball and release your arches, as well as a piece of PVC pipe and use it as a foam roller on your calf

only issue with achilles is when its at the attachment - as is a tendon it shouldnt be sore around the gastrocnemius area. But as a precaution, get a golf ball and release your arches, as well as a piece of PVC pipe and use it as a foam roller on your calf
Reckon I need to start stretching out the calves pre-run.

I have a lacrosse ball which I've started using as a roller, and I have a proper foam roller too. Will have to test out a pre run routine next time I get out there.

Think the initial diagnosis of a calf strain was on point.

I've been looking for some help to take my running to the next level. I've been put onto these Guys from a mate of mine.

http://brewstersrunning.com/

Specifically this program that I'm going to give a crack. Only heard good things about. Pretty brutal 12 weeks of solid work into the legs to bulletproof them. Will give a bit of an update as l progress through the program.

Check out the link for more info.

http://brewstersrunning.com/bullet-proof-legs/

Started this yet? Interested on thoughts.

Was just looking at it earlier. Purchased the program & have the first two weeks sessions emailed to me.
Might try & get started next week. Also hope to have a training program tonight to get going on next week too. Will let you know how l get on.
New shoes tomorrow too. My Asics Noosa's about dead after 1000kms.

I used to jog regularly, averaging about 30km a week. Due to work and study, I didn't do any jogging between Feb and Oct last year and then stopped again between mid-Dec and New Years. I typically run between 6-10km, averaging about 5:45mins/km. There are some challenging hills on the courses I do.

I did a 10km run last Tuesday and felt terrible. Legs felt heavy and I ended up walking towards the end. After a few days rest, I went out last Friday night hoping to do a 10km run. Felt good after 10km so I kept going aiming to do 14km. Still felt good so kept going and reached 17km. Legs were getting tired but I said "stuff it, I'm going to do my first half marathon." My previous best was 17km. Despite the last km being up an incline, legs burning, I pushed through and completed the half marathon in 2hrs 15mins. Total elevation gain of 377m. It was very much a Forrest Gump run. Happy to cross this off my list.

I used to jog regularly, averaging about 30km a week. Due to work and study, I didn't do any jogging between Feb and Oct last year and then stopped again between mid-Dec and New Years. I typically run between 6-10km, averaging about 5:45mins/km. There are some challenging hills on the courses I do.

I did a 10km run last Tuesday and felt terrible. Legs felt heavy and I ended up walking towards the end. After a few days rest, I went out last Friday night hoping to do a 10km run. Felt good after 10km so I kept going aiming to do 14km. Still felt good so kept going and reached 17km. Legs were getting tired but I said "stuff it, I'm going to do my first half marathon." My previous best was 17km. Despite the last km being up an incline, legs burning, I pushed through and completed the half marathon in 2hrs 15mins. Total elevation gain of 377m. It was very much a Forrest Gump run. Happy to cross this off my list.
Wow great work mate. Just watch you don't injure yourself. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. I actually pulled up pretty well after the run and the next day.

While I did push myself through the last km, I wouldn't have gone through with it if I didn't think I could make it. It was just one of those runs where everything just felt good.
One of those runs where once you've stopped, you're done, so you can just keep on legging it.

Just completed a 11.65km run. Pace was good for me at 5.35min/km. Total elevation gain was 215m. Nice and cool tonight but stiff gully wind made some sections difficult.

EDIT: Just joined the Strava Club. l'm on-call once every 5 weeks so I'm limited with how far I can run away from home. I typically only do ~3km runs during this week.

I have another busy year of study so there will likely be several periods throughout the year where I won't do much running. I should be able to step it up in 2017.

Last edited:
Just completed a 11.65km run. Pace was good for me at 5.35min/km. Total elevation gain was 215m. Nice and cool tonight but stiff gully wind made some sections difficult.

EDIT: Just joined the Strava Club. l'm on-call once every 5 weeks so I'm limited with how far I can run away from home. I typically only do ~3km runs during this week.

I have another busy year of study so there will likely be several periods throughout the year where I won't do much running. I should be able to step it up in 2017.
That's what I need, a few hills. 17.4km today for a grand total of 26m elevation and that's with going up the 'big' hills in the area haha

Good stuff. There is always time for running. It will only help your study. Half hour 5km run a few times a week to clear the head. :)

Purchase some Mizuno Wave Runners. Pretty keen to test them out. A bit stiff through the lower back & hammies today. Will make it a rest day & go for a swim with the ferals instead.

Last edited:
I'm in a bit of trouble running wise at the moment. Need to seek some therapy.

Picked up, twisted and threw a ball fielding around mid December and been battling stiff groins since.

The last time I batted I made 78 and could barely walk by the end of the innings and I've just been out for 11.5km run now where I was ok for most of the run but the longer I went the stiffer the groins got to the point that at 10.5km they were really seizing and I had to completely stop at 11.5km and amble home the final 1.5km. It's like a complete battle of will power to force every step they seize up that much.

I'm in a bit of trouble running wise at the moment. Need to seek some therapy.

Picked up, twisted and threw a ball fielding around mid December and been battling stiff groins since.

The last time I batted I made 78 and could barely walk by the end of the innings and I've just been out for 11.5km run now where I was ok for most of the run but the longer I went the stiffer the groins got to the point that at 10.5km they were really seizing and I had to completely stop at 11.5km and amble home the final 1.5km. It's like a complete battle of will power to force every step they seize up that much.
Not ideal prep for cricket. I'm sure a sports masseur/physio could get the legs, hips & groins released. I think I'm due for a visit too.

I'll be in Thailand from next week onwards for about a month or so, looking to do a run (or attempt at one) up Doi Suthep which is a 11km mountain with about a 6-7% gradient and total elevation of 16000m. God help me.

I'll be in Thailand from next week onwards for about a month or so, looking to do a run (or attempt at one) up Doi Suthep which is a 11km mountain with about a 6-7% gradient and total elevation of 16000m. God help me.
I can only suggest not doing it primarily on account of the main road being quite thin and heavy on traffic due to obvious tourism factors - and they are some psycho drivers. Not to mention getting to the base of the 11km is pretty far out of Chiang Mai.

(Just got back from the region not long ago, was thinking of doing it myself and damn glad I didn't.)

I can only suggest not doing it primarily on account of the main road being quite thin and heavy on traffic due to obvious tourism factors - and they are some psycho drivers. Not to mention getting to the base of the 11km is pretty far out of Chiang Mai.

(Just got back from the region not long ago, was thinking of doing it myself and damn glad I didn't.)
Yeah for sure will not be doing it during the day when traffic will be booming, It'll be done in the early hours of the morning and accompanied by others who have done the run countless times before. Only thing I'm worried about is burning season is approaching and apparently the air gets awful?

I think I've found the cause of my knee troubles that I had last year and that is just too much use throughout the week with all my extra sport etc. Over the xmas break I didn't do any other sports as they have a break in the season at that time and all I did was running and everything was sweet but since returning to basketball and cricket in the last two weeks my knees begun to feel a little 'funny'. No pain but just doesn't quite feel 100% particularly after bowling at cricket training. Will go to a physio this week as i think it might be better to catch it before it gets painful rather wait til it becomes a full blown injury again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back