Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done mate. Outstanding effort. Did you just do this as a run yourself, not as part of some event?

I

No event, so it was a solo but not quite solo run. I had company for the first 10, then by myself until 21, then my old ran the 2nd half with me and i met my brother in law for the last 4 aswell.

The underprepared R4K was just the kick I've needed. With the cricket season wrapped up and my mind turning back to running more seriously, I've already picked up the Kms over the past week and a half (early days I know). Have punched out 3 x 9kms runs this week with a 5km thrown in as well and have a plan prepared now to get myself up for the Age Run Melbourne late July.

This was my first HM last year and I did it in 1:38:00 - this year I'm hoping to scrape in under 1:35:00

As for the 1,000km for the year goal - I currently sit at about 285kms.

Oh, WildRover - really enjoyed your marathon blog entry. :thumbsu:

10 weeks to Gold Coast, so the preparations will begin in earnest this week. Last week only did a 2 x 5 km trot to get the legs back in gear after Canberra (both hammys cramped at 31.5km, waddled to the finish about 30 seconds slower than Melbourne 2013). Have a couple of events lined up to help, although I'll have to take a day of leave for City2South in Brisbane to pick up the race bib which is not ideal.....

Got my first HM this Sunday and my lower back is giving me so much grief. Probably wont try to train for the rest of the week. Booked in for a massage and chiropractor visit Friday. I am thinking of cancelling my accommodation and not going.:( I have 2 panadol forte I will use if I do run. Been to physios and a remedial therapist with really no improvement.

Got my first HM this Sunday and my lower back is giving me so much grief. Probably wont try to train for the rest of the week. Booked in for a massage and chiropractor visit Friday. I am thinking of cancelling my accommodation and not going.:( I have 2 panadol forte I will use if I do run. Been to physios and a remedial therapist with really no improvement.

Be careful using Panadol Forte (and Voltaren, Ibuprofen etc...) when running distances. Can affect kidney function. Unlikely, but just throwing it out there!

Did 9km of the most mentally draining running I've ever done last night.

Without going into specifics, I get stiff knees and lower back due to old injuries....Some days I move smoothly, other days it's a battle. Anyway, I was supposed to be doing a fast run last night but just couldn't get going at all. The knees and groins just wouldn't get going. They weren't in pain as such....just so stiff and I couldn't at any stage seem to 'unseize'. No rythym at all to the run with every step feeling like a battle. Just the concentration required to keep moving made me as tired as I can recall feeling after a run. It's a weird feeling because as I said, there isn't any pain so to speak, but you feel like your body would just come to a complete stop or you'd start walking if you weren't actually concentrating on taking that next step.

Did the Puffing Billy race yesterday...great event! Really good atmosphere and well organised. I did it in 1:06 which i'm pretty happy with considering its only 2 weeks after my marathon, and i was really unsure how my knee would handle the stress.

I beat the 2nd train easily but came in 6 mins behind the first. Will look at having a crack at beating the 1st train next year i think.

Great Ocean Road week! Anyone else doing it this year?

I havent posted in a while, but great to see the same people still in this thread.

Done my last big run on Thursday... 23km. Feeling good and ready for the half on Sunday!

I havent posted in a while, but great to see the same people still in this thread.

Done my last big run on Thursday... 23km. Feeling good and ready for the half on Sunday!
No GOR for me, on my to do list for next year though.

I've started doing the local ParkRun, which i reckon is a brilliant initiative. For me it's back on the bike after a long time off and doing trail runs/running free rather than structured running/training regimen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No GOR for me, on my to do list for next year though.

I've started doing the local ParkRun, which i reckon is a brilliant initiative. For me it's back on the bike after a long time off and doing trail runs/running free rather than structured running/training regimen.
Funnily enough, I just clicked on your blog! Enjoyed reading about your marathon mate, congrats!

I did the half last year with very little training in the lead up due to injury. The course is hilly but spectacular. If you can fit it in next year then definitely do it!

Not this year. Did it in 2012. A great run, tougher than a normal marathon with the hills etc but still a great experience.

It will be something I may look at in the future, but for me it's too close to a local half (or to be accurate, 20.9km) in 10 days time. Again a training event for Gold Coast in 8 weeks time, much like City2South in a month. Somehow I qualified for the Red (read front) start group for that one, probably thanks to the fast City2Sea time last year.

Feeling a bit sore and sorry for myself this morning but it had all been worth it that's for sure.
I ran the half marathon. Thought the run felt a bit tougher than last year, had a bit of a headwind for parts of it.
Pulled off a semi slow Km to start with because of so much traffic, but managed to find a good rhythm early. It's always tough in these sort of events because you always go out harder and faster then you plan.
That was my excuse yesterday. Broke out into a seriously solid gallop and was running a good 20sec quicker than my goal pace early.
My plan was to chug up the hills and floor it downhill.
5km in I was feeling great, legs perfect. 10km in the same again, 15km in I started to tire a little. By Skenes Creek I was baked.
Second year in a row Skenes Creek has made me it's victim. I managed to battle on as my times drifted out.

Completed the half Marathon in 1hr 50 which is a new PB for me
smile.png

Finished the 23km in 2hr 02 flat. Another PB and took 21 minutes off my total time from last year. Goes to show what a solid preparation can do.
But looking back I'm slightly shattered. I was really keen to break 2hrs, but I think my early paced cost me as I could make no time up on the flat parts of the course.

Next big event for me is training for the Melbourne marathon. Time to step it up!

That's a fair way away (although I won't be saying that in a few weeks), I'm doing Gold Coast and possibly either Perth City2Surf (full) or the half at Sydney depending on local footy (as well as a local half here and both Brisbane's City2South and Sydney's City2Surf) before then.

just a heads up

http://www.dcrainmaker.com 24 hr givaeaway extravaganza is on. there's 1 giveaway every 2hrs starting 2pm our time.
first item up is a GoPro Hero 3 which is a bit meh, but i have no doubt there will be running watches, bike computers and activity trackers to follow.

chances are of winning are pretty slim but its free to enter and you dont have to sign up for anything....just leave a reply to the relevant giveaway blog post (each giveaway will be in a new post)

good luck and happy trails

Did a half marathon the other day, not an event, just did the rough track of the Melbourne Half Marathon by myself and did a couple of laps of the G at the end to get over the 21.1 mark.

Its the first time I've ever ran over 10kms in my life. Decided to just punch it out to see if I could do it, turns out I could. Came in at 2:01. Was cruising until the last 3 kms which hurt a fair bit, lungs weren't really blowing up. More just my knees and ankles (I guess being 110kg isn't ideal for long distance running.)

Initially I was aiming for under 2hrs but it got to the point in the last few Kms where I was just aiming to not walk.

So the local Half was done in a tick over 1:45 (through the fog no less), and the City2South time was 1:08 which was 8 minutes quicker than last year (although there were less entrants this year), just 3-4 more sessions until it's time to go through the pain again of 42 km on the Gold Coast. For those watching for me I'm apparently #5318, if you sing Happy Birthday to me I'll probably wave back!

Got back on the running bandwagon. You guys were talking to me about the 5klm in 50 min route I was doing previously.

I thought it would be better to go back to a program like couch to 5k.

I am now in week 4. And have the second run of week 4 tonight. The first run I did 4.57klm in 31 mins.

The goal of getting 5 klm in 30 mins is right there. I think going back to the program has helped, it has given me some structure.

Less than 3 weeks to City2Surf in Sydney, then probably 1-2 more half's (Perth City2Surf? Sydney Marathon half? Local event 7 days prior?) to complete as preparation for Melbourne. Gold Coast done in 4:01, started to battle at 34km.

It's amazing what a minor change to your diet can do. I've been seriously struggling this year but in the last couple of weeks I've knocked off my 5km, 6km and 7km PB.

Tonight I did my 10km PB: 43:13, 4:19 per km. Very pleased and still feel like I've got something in the tank.

Ive been running more and more as i lost weight, dropped 52 kilos since 2011. I am not as fast as some of you pb for 5k is 22 mins, 10k is 46 half is 1 hour 48

Training for melbourne marathon at the moment, do about 40k a week as minimum

Find initially the more i ran i felt like every k had to be under 5 mins or my run was poor, ive gotten better at relaxing in my training and pushing once or week or on race day and seen better results

Building up to 30k plus in the next few, 22 is furthest i have gone.

Dunno what to expect at the melbourne marathon never raced outside tassie, burnie 10 is most crowded start line ive been at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back