Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

With 10km run On Wednesday I ticked over 110km for January already. I didn't get more than about 85km in my best month last year and probably nothing over 40km in the last 4 or 5 months of 2014. Enjoyed a massage Wednesday afternoon to work a little of the stiffness out.

Plan on doing 5km tonight, another 5km Parkrun tomorrow (only 48 more for the t-shirt :D) and probably 11km loop with another bloke on Sunday as a part of the 30km loop he'll be doing overall. That'll have me at about 130kms down with a week in January to go.

With 10km run On Wednesday I ticked over 110km for January already. I didn't get more than about 85km in my best month last year and probably nothing over 40km in the last 4 or 5 months of 2014. Enjoyed a massage Wednesday afternoon to work a little of the stiffness out.

Plan on doing 5km tonight, another 5km Parkrun tomorrow (only 48 more for the t-shirt :D) and probably 11km loop with another bloke on Sunday as a part of the 30km loop he'll be doing overall. That'll have me at about 130kms down with a week in January to go.

great running

do you doing any bike riding at all?

Used to run couple of times a week in off season anywhere from 5-10kms. Got myself a running watch a year ago and have found i now run shorter distances but faster. even if i try and run faster i find myself running against the clock and quickening so burn myself out earlier than expected.

Usually do 5km runs and try and get my times down. Started off just doing it easy at about 5.20kms and been steadily inproving. Last night ran my best which was 22m40s. Its not all improved fitness, i think most of it is mindset as i was just feeling good yesterday.

I find my usual running pace was around 5mins around october and now find it is around 4m45s. Thats the best bit about a running watch, i would never of known how i was improving. Normally finish it off with a 2km ''jog'' of which the last km is back to quick again haha

Starting to step up the training for Canberra (and the Twilight Half) with less than 10 weeks to go. The Saturday Morning run is progressively getting longer and longer, starting last weekend at 75 minutes, increasing to 85 this week, then 95 and so on until about a week before the half on March 22 which will be a lighter week.

How much rest are you guys having between runs? Been running 3-4 times a week since Sept now. Pulling up a bit sore afterwards. Seem to be handing over cash to chiro for only temp fixes for lower back pain.

How much rest are you guys having between runs? Been running 3-4 times a week since Sept now. Pulling up a bit sore afterwards. Seem to be handing over cash to chiro for only temp fixes for lower back pain.

Between 3 - 5 runs per week and with some massage therapy thrown in too.

Only had 3 run so far in Feb due to back/neck issues and knee stiffness.

If you have been going for six months perhaps a week or even two max with no running at all is what you need. Even the elites take a break now and then.

it can depend on distance and intensity...try modifying either or both of these and see what happens.
or just rest as kickazz suggested. two weeks off can seem like forever but its a heck of a lot shorter than a long term injury
but yeah, if you're getting constant back pain then something needs to change (form possibly?)

also, maybe try a sports physio if your chiro is only providing temporary relief

Thanks Guys. Yeah, lve been doing a heap of stretching but agree Physio is the next step. Adjusting form or running technique would be very difficult I'd imagine.
Cheers

Anyone else got the Fitbit? Picked one up and absolutely love it, the app it has for the iPhone is great too, has everything you need on there and all the stats are recorded, also the heart rate thing is pretty cool, resting HR is 58, and my peak is 198, which for my age is perfect, so happy everything is in check there lol.

Wearing it at work the last couple of days and found that I do 10kms just on the job site, then back that up with footy training, and cricket during the week.

Also a couple of weeks ago I did the 3km time trial, the after Christmas break one that everyone dreads, got a PB of 6:11, was extremely happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what you think you did, but it wasn't a 3km time trial if you did it in 6:11.

Or alternatively, you just broke the world record by over a minute.

I thought it wasn't right after I finished, but they said "nah 3kms, that's your time".

Obviously wasn't 3km as there's no way I'd be beating the world record, 2km is more like it I think.

I thought it wasn't right after I finished, but they said "nah 3kms, that's your time".

Obviously wasn't 3km as there's no way I'd be beating the world record, 2km is more like it I think.

Even a 2km performance like that is very impressive. There wouldn't be more than a handful (maybe a dozen) of AFL players that could go that quick over that distance.

I'd be flat to the boards going 1.25km at that pace, but then again I'm on a different program. Starting to step it up too with just over 5 weeks to the Twilight Run half and 8 weeks to Canberra (normal marathon this year, probably step up to the 50km next year). Last 2 Saturdays have been 75 and 85 minutes (given I tend to base my levels on time as opposed to distance), this week it's going to be 100 minutes (which should be close to 18/19km) with the aim of going for 2 hours in a fortnight from now.

Knowing some are obsessed with 1000km yearly challenges (which I am not), so far this year I have recorded 137.7km, with several more km covered without being recorded.

Yeah I'm on the 1,000 challenge. Managed 135km in January but only knocked over about 30 so far in February as circumstances have conspired against me. Mainly a little back tweak that slowed me down for a week but also some other engagements have stopped me getting out on a few occassions.

With the weather here being abysmal today cricket may be washed out so I will get a run in if it does and go for another tomorrow of anywhere between 10-15km.

Good luck with your 2 upcoming events stmookeyj :thumbsu:

Got a solid 9km in last night on top of 6km Monday and 16km Sunday. That puts me at exactly 200km for the year as at February 18th. 20% of the way to the 1,000 already.

Amazing seeing as I haven't even set myself an event to run in yet which is usually the necessary motivation I need to get out there. Once local cricket finishes in mid March I'll have to look into a few events to compete in over the winter months.

Won't mean much to you Pro's but ran my first 20 km today (1.44). Ran my PB for 10 kms last weekend too. Pretty proud after 10 years sitting on the couch.
Just entered my first race, Geelong Half Marathon on 12th April. Excited!

Super time for a first crack!

I reckon you could get that to around the 1.30 mark with some training.

Super time for a first crack!

I reckon you could get that to around the 1.30 mark with some training.
Joined a new running group a few weeks ago after being stressing about keeping up. Great workouts! Serious runners, with a few competing in the Melbourne Ironman a couple of weeks back. Amazing to see times come down. Incredibly addictive.

I finished February at about 235km for the year but only managed about 35 in March with cricket finals ramping up and a week ill early in the month.

Now that cricket is over it's time to ramp up the kilometres again and enroll in a few events too. Have got myself signed up for a local 5km Mothers Day Classic but will look at some 10km or perhaps even HMs beyond that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back