Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

This on the AFL website just now. The club seems to be extra coy with injuries this year in general (Dawson for one), but Crowls is perhaps the quietest and also hardest to figure out from afar. Have been down to training myself and seen him running lap after lap, apparently he's still running lap after lap, looks in good nick so what's the story??

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-12/whats-wrong-with-crowley

Any training watchers able to shed some light?

Looks like MDB is a lock for the shutdown role for Round 1...

Just saw the Snoz on the idiot box saying Ryan Crowley is 'dealing with issues' and not available for selection.

Apparently trained away from the main group for most of the pre-season.

Anybody know anything?

Good luck to man. He's been an absolute trooper for Freo. Love the guy.

Edit: Mods, can we amalgamate the threads? While I was writing this, another thread started

Read between the "lines" lads.
Wouldn't think RTB would cop that, that sort of carry on would place him firmly in the "Colin Sylvia Basket" down at Peel wouldn't it?

Read between the "lines" lads.
Maybe spell it out.

My suspicion is that he has been told he is no longer a starter:

Garrick Ibbotson said:
"I think Ross has said Crowls isn't going to be here forever, so it's always good while he's here to be able to talk someone like Matty de Boer through that role if it happens to work out that way"

There has been a lot of reference by players and staff that Crowls won't be around forever... Not nearly as much as with Sandi or McPharlin for example, especially since Crowley is still on the top of his game. Something sounds a little suss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe spell it out.

My suspicion is that he has been told he is no longer a starter:
I think most of us would agree that Crowls is probably coming to the end with MDB the obvious replacement, but even if that is the case it still doesn't explain his total absence from pre-season besides wearing in his boots on the outer...

I think most of us would agree that Crowls is probably coming to the end with MDB the obvious replacement, but even if that is the case it still doesn't explain his total absence from pre-season besides wearing in his boots on the outer...
Perhaps he asked for some time off.

I think people saying he is near the end are forgetting how important Crowley is to this team. He is one of the best taggers in the game. In fact In 2013 experts were putting him as the key to us winning the flag. And hawthorn came out afterwards saying they were able to win by Crowley being influenced by Mitchell. It would be bad to not have him. No one can stop a player such as Ablett in our team like Crowley can

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people saying he is near the end are forgetting how important Crowley is to this team. He is one of the best taggers in the game. In fact In 2013 experts were putting him as the key to us winning the flag. And hawthorn came out afterwards saying they were able to win by Crowley being influenced by Mitchell. It would be bad to not have him. No one can stop a player such as Ablett in our team like Crowley can

I think people who reckon he's near the end are taking into account the fact that he's 31 years old and dropped off considerably between 2013-2014.

It is a bit weird. He's still at training, he's still around the group, he's running laps so it's not a fitness issue, but he's not participating in any skills/contact work. His 2014 was way below the output of 2013, but you'd think still being at training means he's still a chance of playing this year.

I doubt it's much. I recall he spent a lot of last year's preseason running laps rather than joining match sims; to a large extent his game is different from everyone else's. It's hard for him to train directly for what he does. His time is apparently best spent adding fitness rather than practising his skill.

He seemed happy and interacted with kids at the family fun day.

Doubt it's anything untoward - the AFL website is Pravda-esque and if there was a 'story' the AFL wouldn't let it out. I suggest it's a bit of the way he trains, a bit of dropoff in form, perhaps a few niggles.

Not sure where barlow and duffield sit with injury but if they arent gonna be fit for round one suddenly our preseason is looking a lot less shiny with this on top.

Lets not jump to conclusions re crowls.. maybe he didnt come back in acceptable condition. Would conceivably be treated better than sylvia because he has done more for the club etc.

Crowls has been with the group since after the xmas break running ,some ball work and in the gym.We asked him last week how he was travelling and with his normal big Crowls smile said he wasn't far away from playing.Now we know a Freo player would never tell porky's;) so its all a storm in a tea cup.:)

Doubt we'd need to use a tagger for the pre-season comp in any case. If MDB or Mz get the tagger job and flop, Crowls name will find its way onto the board.

I think Ross will only consider a tagger for the games with teams that he considers a threat, otherwise he might carry a more aggressive and attacking midfield. Crowley could also have actual personal (non-footy) issues, could be that. Nah

why would the club come out and declare an issue if it were just an injury or fitness thing.
The press clearly stated "personal issue" as the reason.
It could be anything from a sick mother, relationship issue ( now that would be a catastrophe ! ) or something similar.
If it were drugs, he wouldn't be training and the club is required to either stay tight lipped ( if under 3 strikes) or report it IIRC ...
Storm in a teacup - who hasn't taken personal leave from work before

I think people who reckon he's near the end are taking into account the fact that he's 31 years old and dropped off considerably between 2013-2014.
Yep. He's the fourth oldest at the club. Not much more than a year younger than Sandilands.

why would the club come out and declare an issue if it were just an injury or fitness thing.
The press clearly stated "personal issue" as the reason.
It could be anything from a sick mother, relationship issue ( now that would be a catastrophe ! ) or something similar.
If it were drugs, he wouldn't be training and the club is required to either stay tight lipped ( if under 3 strikes) or report it IIRC ...
Storm in a teacup - who hasn't taken personal leave from work before

Completely agree with the catastrophe part, she's a stunner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back