Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue I have always had with De Boer is the depth and penetration with his kick. His effort near the siren last week did not alleviate those concerns. But- I love that he has had a solid pre-season, and we know he doesn't take a backwards step. I am still hoping my man crowls is able to play this season as I think he still has a few boxes of tissues ready to send out to a few opposition mids.

What you say Biatch.? I see no sig at the end of your post! ..You touch my man I scratch your eyes out!

Four years the buddy of Man Who Would Be King. I'm late at one draft and I end up defending the legend that is Crowls in his most contentious season EVER!

I'm posting he will get six months backdated.

It's got to be good news when he's using his own counsel and not the legal Farknuckles that is the Fremantle Football Clubs legal team

What you say Biatch.? I see no sig at the end of your post! ..You touch my man I scratch your eyes out!

Four years the buddy of Man Who Would Be King. I'm late at one draft and I end up defending the legend that is Crowls in his most contentious season EVER!

I'm posting he will get six months backdated.

It's got to be good news when he's using his own counsel and not the legal Farknuckles that is the Fremantle Football Clubs legal team

Haha, my bad bro. I am new to all of this. Bleed purple tho- was lucky enough to sing at two of our anzac games in a row a few years back. And was on the plane with all the injured players for the GF in '13. Still getting the hang of these boards.

The more I think about it the more I think that Crowley and his legal team must think he is a good chance to play this year. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone for the voluntary suspension.

He is currently able to play if he wants to - right up until the ASADA hearing. If his legal team thought he was going to get a 2 year ban, which would basically end his career, they would tell him to play and delay the listing of the ASADA hearing for as long as possible. Getting the ban in September and missing the first few rounds of the season must mean they think there is a real chance he can get it knocked down to 6 months

The more I think about it the more I think that Crowley and his legal team must think he is a good chance to play this year. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone for the voluntary suspension.

He is currently able to play if he wants to - right up until the ASADA hearing. If his legal team thought he was going to get a 2 year ban, which would basically end his career, they would tell him to play and delay the listing of the ASADA hearing for as long as possible. Getting the ban in September and missing the first few rounds of the season must mean they think there is a real chance he can get it knocked down to 6 months

Maybe. But then, it's just as likely that Crowley didn't expect the tribunal to drag for so long and that he could decide to retire after learning the verdict, before the news gets out.

Without knowing the full story, we can't really tell of his chances. My speculation is same as yours, not getting away with it but a slap on the wrist for 6 months (backdated).

I hope he can get his tribunal hearing sooner rather than later. The conspiracy theorist in me worry that afl may manipulate his punishment if there is too much backlash after the essendon findings is announced.

Haha, my bad bro. I am new to all of this. Bleed purple tho- was lucky enough to sing at two of our anzac games in a row a few years back. And was on the plane with all the injured players for the GF in '13. Still getting the hang of these boards.

You are allowed to say "my man Crowls". You don't usually get a reaction like that. I think purplegreenred may have had a tough week.

I was kidding. Sorry if I took my madcap humour too far!

I think Crowley career is over from what I gather from the freo, Ross and player statements.

Perhaps there is more to the 'painkiller' story? Pretty surprising we still don't know what exactly it was and the reasoning to why he used it.

Ross today saying he hasn't spoken to him, is clearly bs and perhaps means he expects bad news. Who knows, maybe the club tried to get him to retire? Crowley obviously wouldn't have taken this option as his career would end on the drug cheat note.

Real shame if he gets a 12 month ban as the real cheats aka Essendon drugs are getting away with it because there is no testing that can keep with the numerous derivatives which are undetectable.

I don't think it was his option to accept the voluntary suspension, my guess Ross and the club forced him as it's evident he brought it upon himself. After last years straight set exit they wouldn't want him playing on and disrupting the season. Remember when Saad played on, pretty sure the crowd was booing him and giving him a tough time, which is pretty distracting to the whole group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it.

I hope.

With Ibbo saying "won't be around forever" and the club clearly distancing themselves doesn't look good. You would think the substance would leak, to try persuade ASADA to hand a lenient penalty, but the club has remained tight lipped and still no discussion as to why he took it.

I hope.

With Ibbo saying "won't be around forever" and the club clearly distancing themselves doesn't look good. You would think the substance would leak, to try persuade ASADA to hand a lenient penalty, but the club has remained tight lipped and still no discussion as to why he took it.

The club's stand is the correct one, no leaks means no accusations or silly assumptions from the media.

Let the process take its due course,

Not sure why you are saying the club is distancing themselves, Crowley is still training and hasn't been stood down.

I hope.

I don't think ibbo was aware of drug charges when he made that statement (the players found out the same day as us).

I think it's common practice in law not to discuss about cases before the hearing, so that the other party don't get an advantage. Not too sure RTB would have known too much of the details since its a doctor/lawyer thing now.

Personally, I am still on a seesaw between definitely guilty and its a honest genuine stuff up by crowley

The club's stand is the correct one, no leaks means no accusations or silly assumptions from the media.

Let the process take its due course,

Not sure why you are saying the club is distancing themselves, Crowley is still training and hasn't been stood down.

Whilst the club stance is correct, its still worrying as one can assume the 'painkiller' might be a serious one.

Well to me it feels like they have, especially Ross words and the press conf with Crowley.

As to still training- I don't think the club can take any action as its an issue relating to AFL/ASADA and not in their best interest to stood him down for club image etc..

Heard on the news, Crowleys tribunal won't occur till the Essendon verdict is handed. I suppose this can be a good thing, if the Essendon players get minimum bans. Would be quite a farce where a specified painkiller gets a longer ban, compared to systematic drugs which are not detectable.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-20/crowley-bubbly-despite-stress

Thought this was interesting:

"Lyon said Clancee Pearce and Nick Suban were players being groomed to take over the tagging role, while Matt de Boer was another option.

Pearce played on Kieren Jack in last week's loss to the Sydney Swans, and he's a chance to be given another shutdown role in Sunday's practice match against West Coast at Domain Stadium."

This suggests Clancee is top of the pecking order for the run with role and MDB further back. Both Clancee and Suban have more attacking abilities you would have to say. Clancee is also built like the proverbial brick *house so like Crowley can get in front of his player and not be pushed out of the way easily. Suban is pretty solid these days too and loves tackling but not sure he has the elite aerobic capacity normally needed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-20/crowley-bubbly-despite-stress

Thought this was interesting:

"Lyon said Clancee Pearce and Nick Suban were players being groomed to take over the tagging role, while Matt de Boer was another option.

Pearce played on Kieren Jack in last week's loss to the Sydney Swans, and he's a chance to be given another shutdown role in Sunday's practice match against West Coast at Domain Stadium."

This suggests Clancee is top of the pecking order for the run with role and MDB further back. Both Clancee and Suban have more attacking abilities you would have to say. Clancee is also built like the proverbial brick *house so like Crowley can get in front of his player and not be pushed out of the way easily. Suban is pretty solid these days too and loves tackling but not sure he has the elite aerobic capacity normally needed.

Yeah I was quite surprised MDB wasn't ahead of them, but he does seems to like those players a lot more. Wish we could get player km stats! Would be interesting to see the players who racked up the most.

Surely Subans fake tough guy act would get exposed when tagging

Its hard to imagine see him having the discipline to stick the tag for the 4 qtrs. Maybe his km's are high? Was really surprised to see him mentioned as an option. MDB seemed the obvious option as he is disciplined and well can down and do the dirty work.

At least the Lyon quote above clears up any doubt - Ross will always play a tagger. This could be a blessing in disguise, Crowley was dragged into the centre square by whoever he was tagging more and more last year because every coach realised it almost gave you a 4 vs 3 at centre bounces he is so hopeless in there.
Clancee or DeBoer may offer more than Crowley as an overall package.

I hope.

ASADA won't be handing out a penalty, it'll be the AFL Anti Doping Tribunal.

The process will go like this:

- AFL Anti Doping Tribunal hands out penalty.
- If penalty is less than two years, ASADA will wait about 7-10 days and then announce that they wish to appeal length of ban.
- Appeal will be heard by AFL Appeal Board.
- AFL Appeal Board will have final say on length of ban.

If you doubt ASADA's desire to see ALL infringements penalised to the maximum extent (2 years) then check out their current list of sanctioned sportspeople.

http://www.asada.gov.au/rules_and_violations/sanctions.html

You'll notice that there are very few penalties below 2 years.

On 1 January 2015, WADA increased the penalties for intentional violations to 4 years. Future offenders beware.

Doping bans doubled

During the development of the 2015 Code, there was a strong consensus among stakeholders, and in particular athletes, that those who engaged in intentional doping should be ineligible for a period of four years.

For Presence, Use or Possession of a Non-Specified Substance, the ban is four years, unless the athlete can establish that the violation was not intentional.

For Specified Substances, the ban is four years, where the anti-doping organisation can prove that the violation was intentional.

http://asada.govspace.gov.au/2014/1...-does-the-revised-code-mean-for-you-part-one/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back