Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

According to scuttlebut, pies boys may have accidentally consumed the clenbuterol in circumstances similar to NRL player Reni Maitua.

If true if will be interesting watching the poor boys trying to explain that.

According to scuttlebut, pies boys may have accidentally consumed the clenbuterol in circumstances similar to NRL player Reni Maitua.

Yes. This is why the illicit drugs policy has been in the spotlight recently. I suppose the implication being that if clubs were informed that their players were on cocaine, they could warn them that PEDs can sometimes turn up in them. Currently, positive illicit drug tests are kept hidden from clubs unless it is the 3rd strike.

It could have been anything from a panadene fort to an oxycodone...this I don't know.

The guy I heard "crowley's version" from is a legal professional who one would expect to know the specifics of this case...

What's Panedeine forte got in it that's prohibited? I thought it was just paracetamol and codeine - neither of which appear in the prohibited list.

The other interesting thing that I haven't heard come up too much is that I believe that it's only because Crowley played that week that he got done. Most painkillers are only banned on matchday - if he was tested out of competition he would be fine. The idea of it is that if you are in that much pain that you need serious pain relief then you shouldn't be playing sport.

Will be funny if it's true.

Goes to NZ on a training camp....ends up with cocaine? Where would you be in a position where you could even access cocaine in a foreign country? It's not like you'd be hitting nightclubs (you'd think).

Assuming they aren't so brain dead that they'd be carrying the stuff across with them.

It's nonsense to make it look like it was accidental, not deliberate.

Will be funny if it's true.

Goes to NZ on a training camp....ends up with cocaine? Where would you be in a position where you could even access cocaine in a foreign country? It's not like you'd be hitting nightclubs (you'd think).

Assuming they aren't so brain dead that they'd be carrying the stuff across with them.
The rumour - which has a lot of merit btw - is that it was in St Kilda, not in NZ when it happened

So the same source that initially tipped me off about crowley's absence being drug related told me he now knows crowley's version of the story.

Apparently, Crowley was at a friend's place who happened to be a physiotherapist. He either had a back complaint or a head ache, and asked the friend if he had any painkillers. The friend said "sure, upstairs in the bathroom..." Crowley went up and took the pills.

Pretty. God. Damn. Stoopid.

If that is his story, it's over.
And while he was up there Gary Ablett slipped out from the closet dropped a couple of dexies in his drink, paid his friend and left.:p Seriously though who could rule out drink spiking? It happens to girls why not the enemy number 1 most prolific tagger the comp has ever seen.

Surely they need to provide evidence he knowingly took whatever he took, otherwise he could argue a drink was spiked.

Not when it comes to PED and professional sports. They are squarely responsible once it's detected in their system. There can be leniency given for circumstances as you describe if it can be proven, but they would still serve a penalty of sorts, just a lesser one. That has been the general mode of operation of ASADA/WADA on these things.

Maybe Crowley should be playing now.

I assume that he will be found guilty and that virtually whatever punishment he receives (quite possibly the 2 year ban) it is likely to be career ending. This seems the most likely scenario, and at his age a comeback seems unrealitsic. So why not play. He could be lining up on Stevie J as a last punctuation to his career.

Make him the runner.
What are the rules on this, do runners need to be listed before the season starts? Are players allowed to have on field roles (other than playing)
It would be too funny to see SJs face when he ran out, even funnier to see a Fremantle runner track a non Fremantle player for the whole day, without coming off the field for messages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theirs is pretty open and shut.

Possibly better for Ryan that the Collingwood fellas go up first because after the Essendon farce they will want to show we are tough on drugs violations.
The Pies boys are going to be hit real hard IMO.
That could mean any mitigating circumstances in Ryan's case can be considered appropriately.

After the Essendon decision, my immediate thoughts were they will now totally destroy Crowley; Just for the appearance of it all.

Not when it comes to PED and professional sports. They are squarely responsible once it's detected in their system. There can be leniency given for circumstances as you describe if it can be proven, but they would still serve a penalty of sorts, just a lesser one. That has been the general mode of operation of ASADA/WADA on these things.
Crowley did not take a PED. Let's be clear on that. He tested positive for a Specified substance. Huge difference.

Yes. This is why the illicit drugs policy has been in the spotlight recently. I suppose the implication being that if clubs were informed that their players were on cocaine, they could warn them that PEDs can sometimes turn up in them. Currently, positive illicit drug tests are kept hidden from clubs unless it is the 3rd strike.

I agree it is, but you don't need to ******* wait until someone's on the drugs before you tell them that.

What's Panedeine forte got in it that's prohibited? I thought it was just paracetamol and codeine - neither of which appear in the prohibited list.

Thought it was 'specified' i.e. not prohibited but a non-game day allowed substance or one where a certain level it not allowed. Pseudoephidrine is specified above a certain dose level so it's possible that was it.

Otherwise I assume it has to be oxycodone or some other strange thing that's included in some prescription pain killer old mate had lying around.

Crowley did not take a PED. Let's be clear on that. He tested positive for a Specified substance. Huge difference.

I thought I was replying in regards to the Collingwood boys not Crowley. Crowley's is a bit different yes, the Collingwood boys have been done for Celenbuterol which is a listed PED.

Interesting comment on talk back this arvo.... Seems like freo have already moved on from Crowley unfortunately (on the field) which has reflected in us having the extra mid who has some attacking element to their skill set, where Crowley was largely a negating role. Not saying if he's cleared he could find his way back in, but it seems as though we are ok with opp key players still getting the pill, but Clancee whose our tagger atm is also offensively minded which is also forcing his opponents to run both ways.

Anyway, great to see Crowls still around the club, training and mentoring the players. That can be rewarding in itself, so if there is any lingering depression / negative thoughts - it could also possibly be a blessing in disguise for him personally

Interesting comment on talk back this arvo.... Seems like freo have already moved on from Crowley unfortunately (on the field) which has reflected in us having the extra mid who has some attacking element to their skill set, where Crowley was largely a negating role. Not saying if he's cleared he could find his way back in, but it seems as though we are ok with opp key players still getting the pill, but Clancee whose our tagger atm is also offensively minded which is also forcing his opponents to run both ways.

Anyway, great to see Crowls still around the club, training and mentoring the players. That can be rewarding in itself, so if there is any lingering depression / negative thoughts - it could also possibly be a blessing in disguise for him personally

Haven't heard the interview, so not sure on the detail, but I think that line is being overstated a bit. Creepy when in good touch had an ability to become an attacking element too. He was particularly adept at making himself a fwd target. Last year he wasn't so good at hitting the scoreboard off memory, but certainly when he was at his best, he'd pop up for a goal or so a game. Crowley doesn't quite have that natural ball-using game that Clancee has, no doubt, but he wasn't just a stopper entirely. As you say, he was 'largely' a negator, but I reckon people do tend to overstate that because he was so damn good at it.

Of course, what Clancee does give you is very good delivery by foot. He has a beautiful kick on him. When in form and has a tiny bit of time he's right up there IMHO. Creepy's field kicking was average at best.

Interesting that Crowley was in Sydney for Fashion Week! Does this mean he is not training with the main group anymore.

Club likely giving him a few days off. His gf is quite involved in the fashion industry - she's way out of his league but good on him - so prob just supporting her

Club likely giving him a few days off. His gf is quite involved in the fashion industry - she's way out of his league but good on him - so prob just supporting her
I think she could manage on her own. Makes me think Ryan is not needed anymore!

Haven't heard the interview, so not sure on the detail, but I think that line is being overstated a bit. Creepy when in good touch had an ability to become an attacking element too. He was particularly adept at making himself a fwd target. Last year he wasn't so good at hitting the scoreboard off memory, but certainly when he was at his best, he'd pop up for a goal or so a game. Crowley doesn't quite have that natural ball-using game that Clancee has, no doubt, but he wasn't just a stopper entirely. As you say, he was 'largely' a negator, but I reckon people do tend to overstate that because he was so damn good at it.

Of course, what Clancee does give you is very good delivery by foot. He has a beautiful kick on him. When in form and has a tiny bit of time he's right up there IMHO. Creepy's field kicking was average at best.

I would argue the "Crowley kicks goals" line is actually the thing being overstated, because in people's mind any form of offence stands out because he was such a defensive player. He also kicked more goals before Lyon came, and we can't ignore the change in his game under Lyon. He has averaged about 0.4 goals per game while in full tag mode under Ross Lyon. The worst goal return of all our regular mids, roughly on par with Mundy (who at least gets lots of the pill and creates in other ways).

He categorically was a stopper/negator. It is all he did. There is no overstating that. And I think we can be better balanced without him in the side.

I would argue the "Crowley kicks goals" line is actually the thing being overstated, because in people's mind any form of offence stands out because he was such a defensive player. He also kicked more goals before Lyon came, and we can't ignore the change in his game under Lyon. He has averaged about 0.4 goals per game while in full tag mode under Ross Lyon. The worst goal return of all our regular mids, roughly on par with Mundy (who at least gets lots of the pill and creates in other ways).

He categorically was a stopper/negator. It is all he did. There is no overstating that. And I think we can be better balanced without him in the side.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me, I wouldn't argue with that. I always felt, at his best, he was quite good at sneaking his way fwd and taking advantage of his opponent who would generally be attacking minded. But sure, it's a perception thing and you make a good point - though I personally would be reluctant to say that stopping was "all he did", semantics aside, I would agree that the balance seems better as we are now.

I will say this though, its easy to say that now because things are going our way (first few games), but I can see an occasion where a powerful mid gets hold of us and becomes a game breaker and, some of us at least, will be thinking it would be nice to have had an out and out stopper who would dependably do the job.

Even the Port game, it went a bit unnoticed because we came up trumps, but Boak's last quarter got them pretty close to the line when, on balance of play, we overall were the better team.

So FWIW, I'm liking the new look myself, but I also liked the many good things Creepy has done for us in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back