Ryan Crowley tests positive to banned substance (Opposition supporters tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what difference it makes. None of them are performance enhancing.

Whether it's Codeine, or a painkiller with a worse reputation in the media is pretty irrelevant. It's still just a painkiller.

The war on drugs has a lot to answer for when someone with a genuine medical issue can't take certain treatments because of negative associations with recreational drug use.
As it's not a performance enhancer, it is at the lower end of the spectrum. These are banned on match day to stop player playing injured, so they don't make it worse. Media keep going on worst case, he shouldn't get two.

You don't think Saad was genuinely unlucky and punished? If you're going to dope, you don't do it by drinking a shitty commercially manufactured energy drink that's available to the public - that's full of sugar/rubbish and would likely have the opposite effect, you take something that actually does what it was intended to do.
Saad was also promoting the drink, should have done his research. He's suppose to be a professional, the team should have done a better job educating their players.

By all reports half the team were drinking it before the match, he drew the short straw.

As it's not a performance enhancer, it is at the lower end of the spectrum. These are banned on match day to stop player playing injured, so they don't make it worse. Media keep going on worst case, he shouldn't get two.

His punishment is pretty irrelevant at this point. He will never play AFL again. It's just sad that he will be remembered for this more than anything else, when really he's done nothing wrong except take his medication the wrong day of the week.

I have been told by a reliable source that he was prescribed Tramadol by a non-club doctor.

Just did a quick google but according to the latest article mid last year, tramadol is not on the banned substance list for WADA but on the monitored.

PS. confirmed it is on the monitored list via the WADA web site

Just did a quick google but according to the latest article mid last year, tramadol is not on the banned substance list for WADA but on the monitored.

PS. confirmed it is on the monitored list via the WADA web site
is that because it has now been changed? I thought I read/heard somewhere that the drug Ryan took was about to come off the list anyway

is that because it has now been changed? I thought I read/heard somewhere that the drug Ryan took was about to come off the list anyway

According to articles, it has been on monitor since 2012. Some cyclist groups have been trying to get them onto the banned list because of substance abuse. As of 2015, still on the monitor list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how exactly do you know it as a fact? Not necessarily disputing what you say, but some context would help to make it more believable.

Just a friend. I am sure, as the circumstances and the drug was revealed to me months ago and it has proven to be correct. Perth is a small place. Most of these positive tests are related to recreational drug use not performance enhancing, it's just that sometimes they mix. It is rampant amongst our club and others. Part of it is society, however, part of it is AFL culture. Many have been instructed to drop pills rather than have beers when they go out. Was revealed on radio the other day that a club said that they will get off the gear leading into the finals as a team rule. Crowley is merely a product of this environment. He became over confident.

because he wants to salvage his reputation and believes he can fight the charges?
No doubt. But for all the talk of whether it's methadone or tramadol, it's hard to see why he's challenging it.
Taking a specified substance accidentally is not considered an excuse. What are the possible mitigating circumstances?

I like the guy, but off you pop suspended (and retired) without pay. Free up cap space. Loyal servant I know but, made his bed now he has to sleep in it.

That article says there was no talk of heroine or evidence of illicit drug use. There was evidence of chronic pain.

Will be interesting to see the amount of months he gets. Hasnt he already served a 8 month provisional ban? Even if he does get off he would have served more than the cheating bombers and nrl flogs.

Will be interesting to see the amount of months he gets. Hasnt he already served a 8 month provisional ban? Even if he does get off he would have served more than the cheating bombers and nrl flogs.
He's essentially pleaded guilty, so doesn't seem he is any chance of getting off completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back