Ryan Crowley

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly the pseudo ephedrine in the flu tablet (the banned ingredient) is a performance impairing agent as in introduces shaking and tremor both of which are negatives in gymnastics.
Shaking & tremor could've really straightened up their goal kicking in the 2013 GF - we're pretty lucky they were clean!!!

Assuming the club doctor would give him the drug though & not make him sit out. I've a feeling he re-signed in 2014 until the end of 2015. If his back was wrecked then maybe he was scared/aware that the club Dr would put him on ice, jeapordising his extension & so he decided to grab pain killers elsewhere to try to get by?

Pure speculation, but it would explain how a 10-yr player suddenly forgets he has free medical cover at the place he attends every day.

*just seen a couple of posters above intimating the same. Sorry for repeating.

I think it might be a case of the prescribed drugs weren't doing anything for him and he needed something stronger. At his age, I guess he was prepared to run the gauntlet in order to alleviate his back pain with drugs that are readily available to the public.

I always wonder how these guys always know exactly how this stuff accidently got in their system.

In this case he's probably telling the truth but a lot of the time they r simply juicing and have a cover story ready in case they get caught.

Like when Contador got caught and said it was in a contaminated steak or something, how could he possibly know that ?

Grew up with, went to school with and played school and under 18 footy with him and I can say without any hesitation that the guy is as straighty as anyone I know, he is meticulous in regards to his preparation and his body. A terrific guy, a champion bloke who would never knowingly take anything that is against ASADA or AFL rules. The only thing he as done wrong is be negligent in the actual medicine his taken, it's already fact that there was no performance enhancing aspect to the medicine. Sad situation and he will likely be suspended, I'll support the Crowles hands down.

Grew up with, went to school with and played school and under 18 footy with him and I can say without any hesitation that the guy is as straighty as anyone I know, he is meticulous in regards to his preparation and his body. A terrific guy, a champion bloke who would never knowingly take anything that is against ASADA or AFL rules. The only thing he as done wrong is be negligent in the actual medicine his taken, it's already fact that there was no performance enhancing aspect to the medicine. Sad situation and he will likely be suspended, I'll support the Crowles hands down.

But that was 10+ years ago. Armstrong was a clean straight-up guy once, too. Not saying he deliberately took anything, as I have no idea. But times change. So do people. FWIW, I hope he is cleared. No benefit in handing out harsh penalties to individuals who make little mistakes when a systematic doping program is effectively ignored by authorities (assuming little or no penalties).

But that was 10+ years ago. Armstrong was a clean straight-up guy once, too. Not saying he deliberately took anything, as I have no idea. But times change. So do people. FWIW, I hope he is cleared. No benefit in handing out harsh penalties to individuals who make little mistakes when a systematic doping program is effectively ignored by authorities (assuming little or no penalties).
How could he be cleared?
Hasn't both his 'A' & 'B' Samples tested positive?

I just hope that it's seen as 1 guy doing something dumb - different to a whole club systematically & deliberately attempting to get better through the use of illegal (banned) substances.

*What did Warney get for his 'Flu Tablet'? Wasn't that 12 months? I'd be happy if Crowley got that.

Took a banned painkiller. Still not as bad as the cheats down at Essendon.
Yeah this sort of thing is pretty stiff as its not really a performance enhancing attempt, then I suppose you could argue by stopping the pain you are going to perform better.
There are a few different reasons as to why certain drugs are banned.
2 reasons

By stopping the pain while playing, the player may do a lot more damage than they already have.

Another is, that some of these drugs mask performance enhancing drugs.

The 1st one may be more applicable to Crowley, still, very silly in todays environment

FWIW, I hope he is cleared. No benefit in handing out harsh penalties to individuals who make little mistakes when a systematic doping program is effectively ignored by authorities (assuming little or no penalties).

The problem with that theory arupist, is that it may be a silly mistake, as Saad may have been, but there are legit reasons why these drugs are banned.
ie; as my above post, some mask other drugs.

Now i do not for 1 second believe Crowley would have been take PED's, but the rules are there to stop those who are taking PED's.

How do the tribunal/ASADA/WADA, decide who might be taking it to mask PED's & who may be taking it to legitimately relieve the pain ?
They can't
Banned

Sad, i know, but only way it can be

It's irrelevant whether it's taken to relieve pain or to mask something else.

He took a banned substance while another player at another club may have sat out a few weeks because they could not manage the pain. It's unfair for him to play while the other player, understanding the banned nature of the substance, refuses to take it and cannot play.

There are a few different reasons as to why certain drugs are banned.
2 reasons

By stopping the pain while playing, the player may do a lot more damage than they already have.

Another is, that some of these drugs mask performance enhancing drugs.

The 1st one may be more applicable to Crowley, still, very silly in todays environment
A lot of the pain killers that are pained are based on opiates and other highly addictive compounds. You can imagine a professional sportsman would easily get addicted to these taking them every day. A lot of them have warnings about operating machinery etc. too. I think it is mostly health reasons for banning these. I know of a professional golfer who carried around a bag of powerful anti inflamatories so he could take them on the course just to make it through a round. Add his volumes together with a highly addictive component and you can imagine how many problems that would create.

I hate this it's okay because he's a good bloke attitude, well he aint a good bloke, he is a cheat.

You of course are a model citizen. Ever had a speeding fine? Much worst putting other people's life at risk than what Crowley has done.

There are legitimate drug cheats in the AFL, if the league was serious they'd complete out of season testing. Why do you think players go to Thailand and Bali for a month? They run a cycle, gain the benefits and leave enough time for it to be completely out of their system come pre season. Players know that there's no chance of ASADA knocking on their hotel room in Seminyak or Phuket.

The system fundamentally flawed, Crowley and Saad are clearly guys who don't/wouldn't/won't cheat. PED regulations enforced by ASADA and the AFL are to stop cheats, they've failed everytime.

The only way I can see the AFL can fix the stigma of uncertainty is by making sure Essendon players and club are out of competition for 2 years!! Let's not talk too much about Saad and Crowley as they have obviously 'stuffed up' in an innocent sort of way but...them other mob are downright dirty drug cheats who cannot and should not be giving any credence or compassion whatsoever! Footy will be quite fine without them for two years. And oh, have u heard? According to s**t talker Sheedy, Essendon are a good Christain club! Then I let my Muslim and Jew mates know to change their teams and come over to the Mighty Hawks, 'cause we no discriminate! Rant over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way to eliminate cheating & make the game fair is to make everything legal - open the whole lot up & so even the playing field.

I hope we never have a fair competition for that reason, but then I have to accept that there will be some people/organisations who will cheat...

The only way I can see the AFL can fix the stigma of uncertainty is by making sure Essendon players and club are out of competition for 2 years!! Let's not talk too much about Saad and Crowley as they have obviously 'stuffed up' in an innocent sort of way but...them other mob are downright dirty drug cheats who cannot and should not be giving any credence or compassion whatsoever! Footy will be quite fine without them for two years. And oh, have u heard? According to s**t talker Sheedy, Essendon are a good Christain club! Then I let my Muslim and Jew mates know to change their teams and come over to the Mighty Hawks, 'cause we no discriminate! Rant over.
amen! (coming from one of the few who went to church when God attended...I grew up in Drouin look it up!)

You of course are a model citizen. Ever had a speeding fine?
Much worst putting other people's life at risk than what Crowley has done.

Yes, a long time ago in my first year of driving, and I deserved it, and it made me a much better driver. This question only validates my point.

There are legitimate drug cheats in the AFL, if the league was serious they'd complete out of season testing. Why do you think players go to Thailand and Bali for a month? They run a cycle, gain the benefits and leave enough time for it to be completely out of their system come pre season. Players know that there's no chance of ASADA knocking on their hotel room in Seminyak or Phuket.

The system fundamentally flawed, Crowley and Saad are clearly guys who don't/wouldn't/won't cheat. PED regulations enforced by ASADA and the AFL are to stop cheats, they've failed everytime.

So basically you are claiming when any player takes an overseas trip, including ours, which they do, they are all getting drugged up to avoid ASADA.

Yes, a long time ago in my first year of driving, and I deserved it, and it made me a much better driver. This question only validates my point.

So basically you are claiming when any player takes an overseas trip, including ours, which they do, they are all getting drugged up to avoid ASADA.

God bless you, jump on the TAC board.

What I am saying is that the real issue is out of season PED use, no player in their right mind would knowingly take PED's in season, the only occurrence would be out of season for which you would be naïve to think it's not an occurance. PLAYERS KNOW THEY DO NOT GET TESTED OUT OF SEASON! PED's are available over the counter without prescription in South East Asia, players are away for 8 weeks, do you believe none of them run PED's during their time away?

A lot more drugs are being added to the banned list too so ones that were legal are now not allowed and especially if a doctor is not up to date on these as his private gp more than likely wouldn't have been, it does make it hard

if an AFL footballer has a 'private' GP these days, unless that GP checks all meds with the club Dr, they might want to plan in a few years off mid-career, as they are very likely to be (1) exposed to a banned substance and (2) be caught.

What I am saying is that the real issue is out of season PED use, no player in their right mind would knowingly take PED's in season, the only occurrence would be out of season for which you would be naïve to think it's not an occurance. PLAYERS KNOW THEY DO NOT GET TESTED OUT OF SEASON! PED's are available over the counter without prescription in South East Asia, players are away for 8 weeks, do you believe none of them run PED's during their time away?

I doubt that out of season use of PED's is rife since most of them have a neutral or even negative effect on performance many weeks after use (if use is not continued).

They aren't tested after every game and narcotics only persist in urine/blood for 3-5 days. He most likely took pain killers based on opiates as these are the most commonly banned class of pain killer. Really, it is so easy to check up on this I think we can be confident he was trying to take a banned substance in order to stay on the field. Masking agents are not medically active pain killers so we can dismiss that hypothesis.

As for out of competition testing, it does happen. Swan got tested overseas while in Arizona. Many of the longer lasting PEDS persist in your system for 1-4 months. Others such as EPO have little effect after anywhere from between a few days and a month. Basically if you aren't doing something to mask your PED use there is little to be gained as their effects are not long enough to warrant the risk.

They aren't tested after every game and narcotics only persist in urine/blood for 3-5 days. He most likely took pain killers based on opiates as these are the most commonly banned class of pain killer. Really, it is so easy to check up on this I think we can be confident he was trying to take a banned substance in order to stay on the field. Masking agents are not medically active pain killers so we can dismiss that hypothesis.

As for out of competition testing, it does happen. Swan got tested overseas while in Arizona. Many of the longer lasting PEDS persist in your system for 1-4 months. Others such as EPO have little effect after anywhere from between a few days and a month. Basically if you aren't doing something to mask your PED use there is little to be gained as their effects are not long enough to warrant the risk.

I know of a particular former player who was an annual Bali resident for 4-6 weeks and would certainly juice up and it was more to do with the Aesthetics than anything else. Most Testosterones/oils and water based steroids leave your system fairly quickly, generally a few weeks at most and your clear.

A good guide

- methandienone
- mesterolone
- ethylestrenole
- noretadrolone

3 weeks

----------------------------------------

- oxandrolone
- oral stanozolol

3 weeks

- testosterone propionate

2 weeks

- testosterone undecanoate

1 week

- clenbuterol

4 days

Plenty of time for a player to get clean.

The AFL can and does test players in the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back