Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the fact he is a tall - maybe KPD size and has some speed to go with it. Now I have no idea if this kid will make it and I have never seen him before but if Wells took him as our first pick then he saw some potential in him and above that of the other 3 draftees we also took.

Of course I want every pick we have to turn to gold but if we can get 1 player from our picks (4 ND and maybe 3 Rookie picks) that would be ok with me. But you never know we could get two players from the 7 picks ?

And these guys will have time on their side as GFC is likely to give them all 2 seasons, maybe 3, to see if they can produce something. It is likely we will have quite a big turn over again next season which ensures these guys get 2-3 seasons to prove themselves.

Delaney on the Rookie draft needs to get fit and play some VFL games soon or his spot may go at the end of 2016.

I am guessing that Boris and Lonergan will retire at the end of 2016. Maybe Bartel but probably not. Then McCarthy or Cowan or Menzel or Vardy if he cannot get fit and stay fit - they could be likely candidates for being delisted.

Not sure how much longer Smedts and maybe even Kersten could be less secure at the club if he fails to get much senior time in 2016.

Not sure on Murdoch either. He has some good qualities - fast legs and long kicking - nice height - 60 senior games experience. he should be ready to go and grow from here. But he seems to have stalled. He would not be in my best 22 if we had a full list. he would make the Top 30 but not the top 25. So he seems to have fallen back relative to players, who have a lot less experience, in Kolo, Lang, Gregson, Cocky, Bews, Thurlow and Vardy. These seem the likely to make it list from our young ones coming thru and even though they do not directly all play a position Murdoch would, there are only ever a few spots up each week and GFC wants to get time into these boys if last season was an indication of their intent.

So again we could lose 4, 5 or even 6 players at the end of 2016. This will help give Ryan Gardner a few seasons to mature and maybe he then might become something. These high turn overs, especially this season, at least ensure a lot of new blood into the team. If Wells and Co. get it largely right and the players stay healthy then they could be the years that set us up for another good run for quite a few seasons.
JD, I always enjoy your posts! My only criticism is that your don't post often enough! ;) I really wish you would post a lot more! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

What I particularly like about this post, is not only your usual consideration, you have really presented what I'd call a well considered 'Geelong Cats' approach. You've put forward a good analysis of current players + future players + how you see them progressing.

Gardener already has so many assets, proposes closing speed + height, is athletic + plays in front, courage in the air + knows when to punch +++.

JD, I'm interested to know who you think Gardner will succeed?

That's a bit rough on meto VC....Jakovich would be highly rated by most pundits....and he did day "CHB's I've seen".....there's been a few good one's though...
Oh jakovich would be up there. Egan isn't worthy of carrying his boots though.

Not going to read to much into the KK and JK holiday associates - HOWEVER, it does make you wonder of the culture of GCS, that Zac Smith has just made a point of leaving, is a bigger issue up there than some consider. And if so, get around him!

Go Catters

GCS culture is an interesting point. The goss I got (2nd hand but from the Father of a player) is that there is a great sense of entitlement amongst a significant amount of the players. They had a bonding session earlier in the season following several disappointing losses - instead of pulling together most of the group preferred to whinge about conditions and what they were being paid. Some very big egos in play up there !

he won't even make it to 20 senior games mate.
Another one of those players we were completely negligent bringing in to the club unfortunately.
"Completely negligent" that's a bold statement Bobby, either you know something I don't: Or I'll be reminding you of that statement in a year or two. Cheers Geoff.

JD, I always enjoy your posts! My only criticism is that your don't post often enough! ;) I really wish you would post a lot more! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

What I particularly like about this post, is not only your usual consideration, you have really presented what I'd call a well considered 'Geelong Cats' approach. You've put forward a good analysis of current players + future players + how you see them progressing.

Gardener already has so many assets, proposes closing speed + height, is athletic + plays in front, courage in the air + knows when to punch +++.

JD, I'm interested to know who you think Gardner will succeed?

Thanks for the positive remarks.

I wish I could answer your questions but I have no idea about this kid. Even when they drafted him I did not know who he was and had to read on this Board about him. I rely a fair bit on some of the really posters on here to learn things about new players.

I try and watch the VFL games (but would like to see a lot more) and I read the posts on here from fellow posters how particular players went. It is not really until I see more of them at AFL level, which we all see, that I start the process of assessment. Its hard to know when to make a call. For Selwood you could have seen 10 games and named him as a serious new player for us. But for most players its more like 30-50 senior games for me. Occasionally I will make an early call but I try to avoid this. So I am avoiding a prediction here as well (the old straight bat).

PS. From the posts and articles on the players we picked I would think the only possible player that could get a senior game (and that is still a long shot IMO) is Menegola because he is a mature aged recruit that has been on AFL lists and obviously has a hardened VFL ready body. The fact that he changed positions in the WAFL to become a dominant mid with a high possession count - and came third in the WAFL medal tells me he could be a Wells special (like Harry). Ball magnets tends to be ball magnets at whatever level they play.

Still it is a long shot but what is more likely is that of the 4 ND picks and 3 Rookie picks we had this year Wells and Co. will likely get 1, maybe even 2, players that will play senior footy. The question is which one ? (or two).

Last edited:
I'm over this football club drafting players who have foot stress fractures and have been sitting on the sidelines for their previous club for upwards of a year at a time.
Same s**t happened with McIntosh, happened with Clark and we did it again with Delaney. Sorry, but we would have been much better going for the smallest player in the draft/rookie and tried to turn him into a key defender, at least he'd have a longer run at it as opposed to Cameron who will be off the list in two years time.

Cheers Bob.
I think we have been unlucky in some instances. I feel that McIntosh and Clark were worth the gamble at the time, McIntosh especially. In some cases it has worked out - Selwood and Cockatoo both missed the year prior to being drafted and they look like good stories.

Well I haven't seen him play for a couple of years so I couldn't tell ya too much about him, but he's obviously tall and athletic which is a good start for a key defender. His old man was a real gun footballer down here for years, so he's got the genes in him :thumbsu:

By the way the story that you mentioned above about draft night, that pub is probably a 30 second drive from my place. Should've went down and brought him and beer after his name got called out!
Tallies?

"Completely negligent" that's a bold statement Bobby, either you know something I don't: Or I'll be reminding you of that statement in a year or two. Cheers Geoff.
He is bilingual - he speaks English and s**t.

I think we have been unlucky in some instances. I feel that McIntosh and Clark were worth the gamble at the time, McIntosh especially. In some cases it has worked out - Selwood and Cockatoo both missed the year prior to being drafted and they look like good stories.
Wasn't there another player drafted after suffering an injury in his draft year?
Lang.
He looks like a handy player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fished off the Montagu jetty once.

Only caught a Port Jackson for my trouble.

Just past Redpa is the Marrawah beach - wonder if the young fella took up surfing?

Marrawah is great and has the second best surf in Tasmania.

You can get to Marrawah past Montagu as well, head towards Woolnorth and take the Harkus River Rd.

It's hilarious people on this board even know about Smithton, most people in Tassie don't (outside of the NW Coast)

I was born in Victoria but have lived most of my life on the NW, after backpacking the East Coast of Australia many years ago, I came to the conclusion that Tasmania really is a great place to live and raise children etc.

Cockatoo is still unknown at this stage. His talent is unquestionable but given his foot concerns, we still have no idea if it flares up again in the next few years.
McIntosh and Clark, well, you can say what you want but in my view, they were gambles we simply didn't have to make. We then had to rely on other players like Walker to fill in for them and this really impacted their development. More so, the signing of Clark essentially meant Walker was pushed out of any future plans despite showing enough to suggest he'll continue improving. We not only got two footballers whose bodies were cooked the minute we began inquiring for their services, but we lose a young player in the process so if that is your idea of a gamble worth taking, stay clear of any form of gambling all together.

And for every Selwood or Lang, there is also a Drum, McCarthy or Delaney etc.

I am sure after such a very bad injury run with LTIs that had a material impact on us developing after the 2011 Premiership - we have slowly learned this is another very important situation we must manage better. That is - yes we will have LTIs like every other team but we will be more circumspect when it comes to drafting or getting previously badly injured players.

Selwood was supposed to have a bad knee and that is how we got him at pick 7 (I think). And he has had virtually no issues. I suspect this led us to take more chances on injured players and back them in to recover and play well. But we have just started to clear some of the less promising LTIs - in HMac and Simpson.

This season we all hope of course all the guys come good but if McCarthy, Menzel, Vardy, Cowan, Delaney and Bates breakdown badly the they may find themselves off the list. 2-3 maybe but half a dozen is a team killer in the long run. It stops the team from getting good new players to compete for senior spots and this in turn, if there are enough, arrests the development of the players and team.

If say Menzel, Vardy, Clark, Stanley and Duncan were basically available for most of the season we probably would have made the 8 - and a few youngsters would have got more valuable senior time and a chance to play a final. Cowan, Delaney and Bates would have been good depth players and helped the VFL side to play finals. These things can all add up and be a help for the following season.

And the fact we got so many picks (7) and new players from the drafts and that we will probably get another 4-6 players again next year means we now required to make a lot of picks - none low - and get a few players to come good in 3-4 years time. And we as this time passes we will slowly learn if these LTIs have a future and can maintain their fitness and touch.

Cockatoo is still unknown at this stage. His talent is unquestionable but given his foot concerns, we still have no idea if it flares up again in the next few years.
McIntosh and Clark, well, you can say what you want but in my view, they were gambles we simply didn't have to make. We then had to rely on other players like Walker to fill in for them and this really impacted their development. More so, the signing of Clark essentially meant Walker was pushed out of any future plans despite showing enough to suggest he'll continue improving. We not only got two footballers whose bodies were cooked the minute we began inquiring for their services, but we lose a young player in the process so if that is your idea of a gamble worth taking, stay clear of any form of gambling all together.

And for every Selwood or Lang, there is also a Drum, McCarthy or Delaney etc.

Selwood or "LANG?"...you must be kidding ranked about 15-16th last year's disposal count,....... Blimy even Jordan Murdoch who so many don't rate was 12th, so please Bobby, go easy on the harsh critiques yet praise the likes of Lang with Selwood of all people!
As far as his durability goes remember he's only just starting and he's a little bloke, so generally less injury prone.

Marrawah is great and has the second best surf in Tasmania.

You can get to Marrawah past Montagu as well, head towards Woolnorth and take the Harkus River Rd.

It's hilarious people on this board even know about Smithton, most people in Tassie don't (outside of the NW Coast)

I was born in Victoria but have lived most of my life on the NW, after backpacking the East Coast of Australia many years ago, I came to the conclusion that Tasmania really is a great place to live and raise children etc.

You're correct. Windy place Woolnorth ;)

Selwood or "LANG?"...you must be kidding ranked about 15-16th last year's disposal count,....... Blimy even Jordan Murdoch who so many don't rate was 12th, so please Bobby, go easy on the harsh critiques yet praise the likes of Lang with Selwood of all people!
As far as his durability goes remember he's only just starting and he's a little bloke, so generally less injury prone.
I think Lang was referenced as part of the gamble argument, given he was injured in his draft year.

I think Lang was referenced as part of the gamble argument, given he was injured in his draft year.

He's up and running nicely now I know,....but athletes are regularly injured, so it's no big deal most times when draftees or trades come to the club they're carrying something that's a short term issue.

He's up and running nicely now I know,....but athletes are regularly injured, so it's no big deal most times when draftees or trades come to the club they're carrying something that's a short term issue.

Seems a lot kids really push hard ...they realise that their draft year its time sensitive.

Not sure what happening in this photo... he looks tall.....

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 4.40.06 pm.png

THE CATS’ NEW NUMBERS

Zac Smith – 9 (previously worn by Mick Turner, Leo Turner and James Kelly)

Wylie Buzza – 12 (previously worn by Ron Hovey, Brad Sholl and Trent West)

Matthew Hayball – 15 (previously worn by Peter Riccardi, Colin Rice and Geoff Mahon)

Scott Selwood – 16 (previously worn by Billy Brownless, Tommy Quinn and John Hyde)

Jock Cornell – 17 (previously worn by John Newman, Tim McGrath and Joe Slater)

Ryan Gardner – 20 (previously worn by Carji Greeves, Steve Johnson and Ray Card)

Lachie Henderson – 25 (previously worn by Les Hardiman, Brent Worner and Geoff Ainsworth)

Sam Menegola – 27 (previously worn by Andrew Bews, Brenton Sanderson and Mathew Stokes)

James Parsons – 34 (previously worn by Peter Walker)

Patrick Dangerfield – 35 (previously worn by Paul Chapman, Billy Goggin and Robert Neal)

Tom Ruggles – 36 (previously worn by Tony Polinelli)

Not sure what happening in this photo... he looks tall.....

View attachment 197257

THE CATS’ NEW NUMBERS

Zac Smith – 9 (previously worn by Mick Turner, Leo Turner and James Kelly)

Wylie Buzza – 12 (previously worn by Ron Hovey, Brad Sholl and Trent West)

Matthew Hayball – 15 (previously worn by Peter Riccardi, Colin Rice and Geoff Mahon)

Scott Selwood – 16 (previously worn by Billy Brownless, Tommy Quinn and John Hyde)

Jock Cornell – 17 (previously worn by John Newman, Tim McGrath and Joe Slater)

Ryan Gardner – 20 (previously worn by Carji Greeves, Steve Johnson and Ray Card)

Lachie Henderson – 25 (previously worn by Les Hardiman, Brent Worner and Geoff Ainsworth)

Sam Menegola – 27 (previously worn by Andrew Bews, Brenton Sanderson and Mathew Stokes)

James Parsons – 34 (previously worn by Peter Walker)

Patrick Dangerfield – 35 (previously worn by Paul Chapman, Billy Goggin and Robert Neal)

Tom Ruggles – 36 (previously worn by Tony Polinelli)
Gees, Turbo- isn't there a look of Scarlo in that cheeky grin of Buzza's??? Almost as if he's been reincarnated- and Scarlo's not even dead yet!

Gees, Turbo- isn't there a look of Scarlo in that cheeky grin of Buzza's??? Almost as if he's been reincarnated- and Scarlo's not even dead yet!

Im liking Cornell...I know most of them are probably over the photos...but gees crack a joke... OK who dropped their lunch or Say "dropkick" etc... but there is Cornell , giving his best little Jock Jaw grin

From what I read GFC did ok to pretty well re their picks we took, seeing what picks we had.

There seems to be some things to like about a few of the picks and it may well have been the best we could have done given what we had.

Therefore for few unsubstantiated reasons I like Menegola (because he has had AFL pre-seasons before and his current form ain the WAFL has been apparently very good indeed) and also Gardener because of his size and shape.

These are really not good enough reasons to have any strong sense of which new draftees will make it but I do have a sense that 1, maybe 2, will make it in a few years time with the only one most likely to sneak a senior game earlier being Menegola (for the reasons previously stated).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back