Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what happening in this photo... he looks tall.....

View attachment 197257

THE CATS’ NEW NUMBERS

Zac Smith – 9 (previously worn by Mick Turner, Leo Turner and James Kelly)

Wylie Buzza – 12 (previously worn by Ron Hovey, Brad Sholl and Trent West)

Matthew Hayball – 15 (previously worn by Peter Riccardi, Colin Rice and Geoff Mahon)

Scott Selwood – 16 (previously worn by Billy Brownless, Tommy Quinn and John Hyde)

Jock Cornell – 17 (previously worn by John Newman, Tim McGrath and Joe Slater)

Ryan Gardner – 20 (previously worn by Carji Greeves, Steve Johnson and Ray Card)

Lachie Henderson – 25 (previously worn by Les Hardiman, Brent Worner and Geoff Ainsworth)

Sam Menegola – 27 (previously worn by Andrew Bews, Brenton Sanderson and Mathew Stokes)

James Parsons – 34 (previously worn by Peter Walker)

Patrick Dangerfield – 35 (previously worn by Paul Chapman, Billy Goggin and Robert Neal)

Tom Ruggles – 36 (previously worn by Tony Polinelli)

You still reckon Gardners only big enough for 3rd tall duties??....LOL!.... He's going to be a big boy then when he grows up!
Now I realise why the "tiny" nickname. Off course that's not a straight line.

Last edited:
You still reckon Gardners only big enough for 3rd tall duties??....LOL!.... He's going to be a big boy then when he grows up!

At 197 cm high (and it is still possible at 18 yo. he could gain a cm or two) he is an unlikely third tall backman.

That is tall outright. Blitz rucked for us for two seasons (due to injuries to our rucks) and he is 198 cm ! Lonergan is 197 cm (KPB) and Taylor 193 cm (also KPB but he is an exception with most KPB being 195+ cm these days).

So Gardner's height is a promising start. Wells has said he is a long term development player so maybe in 2-3 years he will be also commensurate in his muscle and weight that are required by a KPP these days.

I have no idea why but I think this draftee is one of the more promising ones recruited in our drafts this season.

At 197 cm high (and it is still possible at 18 yo. he could gain a cm or two) he is an unlikely third tall backman.

That is tall outright. Blitz rucked for us for two seasons (due to injuries to our rucks) and he is 198 cm ! Lonergan is 197 cm (KPB) and Taylor 193 cm (also KPB but he is an exception with most KPB being 195+ cm these days).

So Gardner's height is a promising start. Wells has said he is a long term development player so maybe in 2-3 years he will be also commensurate in his muscle and weight that are required by a KPP these days.

I have no idea why but I think this draftee is one of the more promising ones recruited in our drafts this season.

Hope so JD, but as you said, we really don't have a much of an idea atm but Wells has done his best this year with the limited opportunity he had.
If we get 1 or 2 out of the draft Wells has aced 2015 considering all our recruitment this year.

Now I realise why the "tiny" nickname. Off course that's not a straight line.

Did I say 3rd tall? Dont think I did... he looks very light and tall , almost a Hamling type body so Im not expecting much at all till year 3...(unless his talent pushes him I guess)
Tiny? Had not read that.

Did I say 3rd tall? Dont think I did... he looks very light and tall , almost a Hamling type body so Im not expecting much at all till year 3...(unless his talent pushes him I guess)
Tiny? Had not read that.

If you look at him and Buzza GFC training vid they're side by side, Buzza before the Carnival was 198/96.5kg according to the Queensland list. I was surprised he was that big.
After 1 min into the vid you'll see Buzza push off Gardner to chest mark, Gardner's got big legs and needs upper body building, but he's no Hamling!
I'd say Gardner's grown.

If you look at him and Buzza GFC training vid they're side by side, Buzza before the Carnival was 198/96.5kg according to the Queensland list. I was surprised he was that big.
After 1 min into the vid you'll see Buzza push off Gardner to chest mark, Gardner's got big legs and needs upper body building, but he's no Hamling!
I'd say Gardner's grown.
Yeah had a look at that vid. I don't think it does Gardner justice. They look very similar size...BUT, check out the photo of the boys getting their new jumpers. Tell me who's the tallest there?!

1cdf33e3c36b4a92a0b35fb0b7b93df5

Yeah had a look at that vid. I don't think it does Gardner justice. They look very similar size...BUT, check out the photo of the boys getting their new jumpers. Tell me who's the tallest there?!

1cdf33e3c36b4a92a0b35fb0b7b93df5

I think Menagola's on tiptoe's and Buzza's standing back a fair bit, be good to see a practice match or two to see how they go.

Its interesting that Joel Selwood took all the new draftees out to dinner

I heard Paul Haselby ( who does a bit of radio with Karl Langdon during the football season ) about 3-4 months ago- and he told a hilarious but true story about when he and Pavlich and few other Freo players got 1st drafted

He said Clive Waterhouse who was then an established player and on big money (400k according to Haselby) invited all the new draftees around to his house for dinner - and his wife cooked them all a beautiful roast - then after a couple of hours when it was time to leave - so 18 year old Haselby and Pavlich and 3 or 4 others walked down the hallway to the door - at which point Clive ( and he was 100% serious) said to them all - " that will be $10 each for the meal " ( what a stingy baarstaard) - so all the new draftees pulled $10 out of their wallets and paid Clive for the meal .

Its interesting that Joel Selwood took all the new draftees out to dinner

I heard Paul Haselby ( who does a bit of radio with Karl Langdon during the football season ) about 3-4 months ago- and he told a hilarious but true story about when he and Pavlich and few other Freo players got 1st drafted

He said Clive Waterhouse who was then an established player and on big money (400k according to Haselby) invited all the new draftees around to his house for dinner - and his wife cooked them all a beautiful roast - then after a couple of hours when it was time to leave - so 18 year old Haselby and Pavlich and 3 or 4 others walked down the hallway to the door - at which point Clive ( and he was 100% serious) said to them all - " that will be $10 each for the meal " ( what a stingy baarstaard) - so all the new draftees pulled $10 out of their wallets and paid Clive for the meal .
Frankly thats almost unbelievable from some one is a team environment. I think Id have asked to the use the conveniences before departure , then handed over the filthy lucre

Frankly thats almost unbelievable from some one is a team environment. I think Id have asked to the use the conveniences before departure , then handed over the filthy lucre
No wonder Freo are so hopeless if that's the attitude. That crap would never have happened at the old South and East Freo WANFL clubs.

I hate hearing selfish money-grubbing stories like this. Geelong is one of the few clubs let that doesn't sound like an outpost of the Ayn Rand institute. Proud to support this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Menagola's on tiptoe's and Buzza's standing back a fair bit, be good to see a practice match or two to see how they go.

My son spotted weights for Menegola when he was at EF - says he was unbelievably shredded
Parsons looks a great size from those photos as well

Hope so JD, but as you said, we really don't have a much of an idea atm but Wells has done his best this year with the limited opportunity he had.
If we get 1 or 2 out of the draft Wells has aced 2015 considering all our recruitment this year.

Most footy fans live mainly in a season by season mode - except come draft time.

However if we take a longer view - as it takes quite a few years to build the team, the coaches, the medical, the recruiters and admin. - and still others that is required to win a Premiership. Well that seems to be the consensus among the successful coaches I have heard speak on the subject of winning premierships.

So there are so many aspects and different matters that need be taken care of - and taken care of well for a number of consecutive years (there will be examples where this is not the case but the presented path above seems to be historically [in the modern era] the most officious way to get decent opportunities to win a Premiership).

So in regard to recruiting - in the bigger picture this factor and how well it is done, is a large part of the foundation that the future of the club will depend upon.

Simple maths tells you that if you need 22 players a game and 30 on average over a given season (to cover for injury, suspension, family issues, etc) and if you take a 12 year period (approx. 250 games) it is likely the whole team would have to be replaced. So that results with an equation that you need to acquire on average 2.5 new senior players per year. Look out if have a full on transition where the requirement gets even higher.

So GFC gained 4 experienced players from other clubs - and it would seem that barring misfortune they will all play senior footy and are very likely candidates for best 22. So we have effectively got near two years worth of recruiting in one. The cost (re recruiting) is we lose our first round pick next season and will not have any low picks with our first pick likely being 30-34, then say 50, 65 and 72. I think we will still find ourselves with 4 ND picks in 2016.

The following season (2018) we will have better picks - just in time as we need get at least 2 players from that draft you would suspect. GFC has put off the need to get a lot of players from the next 2 drafts by the recruitment of Smith, Danger, Scooter and Henderson - all 26 next season and I would guess we expect 4-6 years service from all 4 players.

Then we have some promising young players who are nearly best 22 and we would hope they are definitely pencilled in as best 22 come the beginning of the 2018 season. This group includes Gregson, Thurlow, Vardy, Kolo and Lang. If that was to happen we have again pushed out the need to get 2.5 players per draft for another year or two.

With regard to Menzel I have decided to re categorise Dan as a new, very talented player that hopefully plays 15 senior games next season and does not get any bad injury and shows signs that he can do what he could before. But even then he has only played in 20 senior games - so he really still needed another 2-3 seasons at an ever growing standard to get to the heights quite a few Geelong fans thought he had become already. If he stays fit and gets touch then he becomes like a new best 22 and means the age profile of our list keeps getting better.

But you cannot stop the inevitable - you have to keep bringing in players to develop into best 30. Some years maybe few and other years maybe a fair few. It just that it needs to managed well and so we do not end up with a heap of players leaving at once. We know what that feels like !

I think it will probably happen again (2020/1 maybe it begins) with quite a few of our players next season 25-28. But as long as they win 3 Premierships I am willing to live with that difficult situation !

So the long view dictates it would be nice to get 2 players out of the 4 ND and 3 Rookie picks we had. Given we have four 25/6 year olds coming into the side and quite a few young guys that look like making it - we can afford to get only 1 player from these 7 selections. That would actually be a good outcome I think. Then 1 again next season and then back to 2-3 per season.

The bonus would be if Wells and Co. got 2 players from this draft. And with Wells, even with very poor picks, you know it could happen. Probably a super draft for us if that happens and the new FAB 4 play as well as expected.

Last edited:
View attachment 198193

Look pretty close in height here....

Gardner's going into a crouch in front of Buzz but in a level line my monies on Gardner. I've seen Buzza's height as 198cm in the Queensland line up and also at 197cm elsewhere, looks like they're both very tall in any case.
Greats selections by Wells, I reckon they'll both play AFL 2017.

My bad….mistake was made and corrected earlier but when the main board thread and this thread were merged, it reverted tot he incorrect spelling.

Fixed.

Go Catters

My bad….mistake was made and corrected earlier but when the main board thread and this thread were merged, it reverted tot he incorrect spelling.

Fixed.

Go Catters

Easily done.... and one can see this being a bugbear like Bartel/s ... thru his career. Lets hope its a bugbear that lasts a decade.

Watching the Nab challenge and seeing some pretty raw kids running around , but I suspect at Geelong if gets game time he will be ready for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back