Toast Ryan Griffen, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know of the disgraceful things that McCartney apparently inflicted on Griffen? Would you have suffered them in silence. You, like most other critics of Griffen have no idea. You are no doubt just going from some hostile journo's rantings, like most other people. Never seen such hysteria.

It appears as though Griffen and other players, including possibly a number of younger players, at the club have been subject to intolerable abuse by the coach. But the coach had such a good reputation, well so did those Catholic priests.

He made an error in agreeing to work with the coach to try to iron out problems. After Higgins and Cooney left he felt that he needed to fall on his sword.

Griffen is an honourable person, he suffered for the club over an extended period, he saved our club with his behaviour. Good luck to him in the future.

You use "apparently" in your opening sentence, and "appears", yet say other people have no idea.

Who are you, one of his brothers?

Sorry, fronk's post trumps yours...

(not to mention he "apparently" approached GWS after last year's trade period, and at the very least several months back - most likely around R14, from what I've heard, so hardly fell on his sword)

Thanks for everything except the cr@p you pulled in the last 6 Months Griff

Hard to not look back in anger - if you couldn't take the heat of being Captain WTF did you accept it ?

He deserves praise for the 200+ games he played, but unfortunately he will be remembered for the way he left. It's actually pretty sad it came to that, if he had of requested a trade & we knew why that would have been better than walking out on the club.

Sorry Ryan, but you can't hide behind the excuse of captaincy being too much to handle as a main factor of this

This one will sting for a while. Unfortunately, for a long time, it's going to be the manner in which he left that burns into my memory. In time, maybe I will be able to thank him for his 200 quality games, but for now, the wound is still fresh.

We know for a fact that Griffen stated that he wanted to be a Bulldog for life.
Assuming he wasn't lying then, and has continued to have that desire, it must shoe you how ****ed up this whole year was for him, such as the captaincy and his relationship with the coach, to even entertain the idea of leaving, let alone continuing with it.

He'd already committed to GWS and gone past the point of no return. His final legacy will be to both get Boyd and to let McCatney fall on his own sword, two outcomes that will have very massive and important portions in our quest for the Holy Grain, mk II.

This one will sting for a while. Unfortunately, for a long time, it's going to be the manner in which he left that burns into my memory. In time, maybe I will be able to thank him for his 200 quality games, but for now, the wound is still fresh.

Agree with that.

Will boo him without shame at every opportunity. As of last Thursday, he became the enemy.

Loved him, absolute gun on the field. One of the best players to watch, and i will miss that sorely. one of the players i really looked up to when i was growing up. the background to his nickname, 'Gary', is an absolute pisser too. will always have a soft spot for him but he had to get fkd the moment he came out with that bombshell.

Do you know of the disgraceful things that McCartney apparently inflicted on Griffen? Would you have suffered them in silence. You, like most other critics of Griffen have no idea. You are no doubt just going from some hostile journo's rantings, like most other people. Never seen such hysteria.

It appears as though Griffen and other players, including possibly a number of younger players, at the club have been subject to intolerable abuse by the coach. But the coach had such a good reputation, well so did those Catholic priests.

He made an error in agreeing to work with the coach to try to iron out problems. After Higgins and Cooney left he felt that he needed to fall on his sword.

Griffen is an honourable person, he suffered for the club over an extended period, he saved our club with his behaviour. Good luck to him in the future.

Just for complete clarity. I have heard about the discussions from an insider. My position is not on that. A mans word is his word. It has nothing to do whether he felt aggrieved, upset, or otherwise. It is about setting an example for who you are, what you stand for and ultimately leaving a legacy.

Griff chose to take his ball and go home without any - repeat any - further discussion. As the captain - remember he accepted it - he had an obligation to be a leader and when he is asked on 2 separate occasions whether the agreed changes were acceptable and he says yes - well to me that means - "hell yes lets get on with it!" And not putting your hands over your ears and screaming "I can't hear you."

I agree he was a great player and after 10 years service good luck he can ask to go anywhere. But not the way that he did it.

No honour.
No guts
And ultimately for him - no glory.

Good riddance.

Griffen right now reminds me of those moments in weepy soap dramas where someone tearfully says to a cheating partner "I just can't look at you the same, you're a totally different person"

Am simply so shocked at his behaviour and totally in contrast to the person I had come to view him as

In time I could possibly forgive him but right now I don't want a bar of him

I wish him absolutely no success at that putrid franchise and I hope that he sincerely regrets his decision in a few years when we are back right amongst it

Short of touching his mrs there's nothing bmac could've done to justify lying to our administrators that it's all good until trade period and then not contacting the club AND not thanking the club.

Sorry, this is the worst act of disloyalty since the duck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am thankful to Ryan for his on field service.
What has come out from him in recent weeks seems so contradictory from the Griffen we all new.
In saying that don't trip up on the way out the door.

Nah, f*** him. Good riddance, welcome Tommy Boyd.

Have a signed, match-worn jumper of Ryan's from a couple of years ago against Brisbane where he polled 2 Brownlow votes. Collectors item. If there are any Griffen fans left out there, make me an offer before I burn it ;)

I'm sorry to break this to you mate, but your jumper hasn't been signed. Its been grafitti'd.

Thanks for leaving this year and not as a free agent next year. Lets be honest, the AFL probably would have given us an end of first rounder cos they are pricks (that's if free agent compensation hasn't been axed altogether). Be interested to know if this was even a minor factor in his decision to go this year.

A great Bulldogs career for the most part and I enjoyed cheering for you, but I can't deny that I'll get just as much enjoyment out of seeing you get pollaxed by someone (hopefully a dog) next year.

But the coach had such a good reputation, well so did those Catholic priests.
So B-Mac is as bad as a pedo now?

I know the Macca hate crew had the pitchforks out early, but FFS

I will boo the absolute s**t out of him next year! I remember in 2005 they showed him on a morning footy show and instantly he became my favorite player, he was going no where when they made him captain and it made me so happy he was going to be a Bulldog for life... * you Ryan Griffen go rot in the scum of Western Sydney you campaigner of a bloke!

Gee people are so harsh.

Maybe, just maybe, after 10 years of working at the same place, he felt like a change of scenery. I reckon 98% of you on here that have worked that long have either done that or wished that you'd done that in your lives.

I would be more upset if it didn't end up in a win-win for us, but it has, so there's no point dwelling on it. At least he didn't want out to Hawks to win a flag, or Collingwood/Richmond because the CEO had promised job/cash/property after AFL

So what is Macca supposed to have done that could be so bad?

Ryan Griffen should be eternally grateful to Jason McCartney, who managed to turn Griffen's departure in something less than a disaster. After his retirement, Griffen will eventually be welcomed back to the club if he wants. Had the Boyd trade not happened, the burning hatred of many Bulldogs supporters would never die down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back