Toast Ryan Griffen, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

To

Too be honest it's all to hard for these guys because they don't know any difference. Would have retired at 29..had some time off then got stuck into a jjob and probably realised AFL life isn't too bad.

So in that case play out the contracted year and then leave? Don't say you'll work through things, then run away

Sounds like he has had enough of AFL full stop. Bit unfair to ask for reasons when he may not even understand why the enjoyment of the game has gone. Injuries and getting beaten up every week and umpires giving him no protection probably haven't helped though. Lots of guys retire early.

I thought one of the best comments I heard all week was Greg Denham who said something along the lines of this when GWS were explaining their back flip.

GWS went to their leadership group to discuss Boyd and they said that they needed people on the list who wanted to be loyal and committed to the club. That's a bit rich coming from Callam Ward and Phil Davis.....I did laugh.

Just on Griffen...he hopes we understand why he left. We get why you left Ryan, but it's how you went about it mate, that we can't understand.

I thought one of the best comments I heard all week was Greg Denham who said something along the lines of this when GWS were explaining their back flip.

GWS went to their leadership group to discuss Boyd and they said that they needed people on the list who wanted to be loyal and committed to the club. That's a bit rich coming from Callam Ward and Phil Davis.....I did laugh.
Yup, heard that on SEN earlier today too. Very good point.

I find it funny in a way, the reason behind Griff choosing GWS.

They get a superstar player that will supposedly help bring them success and attention in that region, exactly what the AFL has dreamt of for so long.

And Griffen chose the place because it's so footy devoid. The superstar they've been chasing to bring them attention has literally chosen them because of the lack of attention the team will ever receive in the region.

I find it funny in a way, the reason behind Griff choosing GWS.

They get a superstar player that will supposedly help bring them success and attention in that region, exactly what the AFL has dreamt of for so long.

And Griffen chose the place because it's so footy devoid. The superstar they've been chasing to bring them attention has literally chosen them because of the lack of attention the team will ever receive in the region.

I am so surprised at how fragile he sounds. I wonder if he will see out his 4 years at GWS. It's good he's gone, short term pain for us. But he would have been gone from the game next year. I hope he's ok, but mentally he seems frazzled.

I saw Griffen's interview on the news what a sook.. If McCartney told him to harden up I can see why. His behaviour over the past week has ratified his personality. Thanks for your time at the Kennel, bu so long and see you on the other side... I did chuckle at his comment on him hoping that he won't get too many boos when he plays against us in Melbourne on the next occasion.

toddler-crying-280x280.jpg

I saw Griffen's interview on the news what a sook.. If McCartney told him to harden up I can see why. His behaviour over the past week has ratified his personality. Thanks for your time at the Kennel, bu so long and see you on the other side... I did chuckle at his comment on him hoping that he won't get too many boos when he plays against us in Melbourne on the next occasion.

toddler-crying-280x280.jpg

I'll be travelling to GWS just to boo him and I doubt I'll be alone.

Hope we get to play them down here next season.
Reckons he'll get a few boos? He's got no idea what he's in-store for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The booing and jeers will haunt him for a life time they will be that loud. Equalled or surpassed only by the raptures of joy as Boyd marks and goals, or Picken hammers him in close. I hope this turns into a heated rivalry and we literally tear that club to shreds, ending their existence in the AFL and making room for the remnants of Essendon to move up there for good.

As I've said previously, Ive hand an immense amount of fun at his expense these past few days, but I found his interview today to be quite pitiful, and drew absolutely no vicarious pleasure from watching it at all. I just had a overwhelming sense of sadness as I watched a once great club man completely flush his legacy down the shitter. The guy looks completely lost and I'm not sure that moving to a soulless football backwater is going to help him at all.

I still hold out hope that he'll be able to enunciate the true reasons for this immense falling out someday, but going by today's presser, I think its a forlorn hope.

Oh...yeah! * you Ryan you campaigner! or something.

Ryan Griffen the player, one of my favourite players to watch.
Ryan Griffen the person, I have no issues with him. Seems to be genuinely likeable guy. Just shy.
Ryan Griffen the leader, I have no respect for. He was incapable of the task, but to firstly accept the role as captain and secondly exit the club citing that as a main reason, I can't get behind.

Watching his interview from today, I agree with the sentiments of some on here. He just looks mentally shot. I'm sure a lot of us here have either encountered mental illness/anxiety/apathy/depression first hand or even experienced it ourselves. It is all well and good to say that, well he lives a pretty good life playing AFL, he needs perspective etc. etc. but if you think about it, this is really the only life he has known. This is the only perspective he has. I'm sure he loves the Bulldogs, the members, the fans, and a lot of people affiliated (staff/players/coaches). But essentially he stepped forward into a role that he couldn't handle, and it mentally drained him and sucked his enjoyment out of something he had enjoyed his whole life. Sure, you could say harden up, but that is not the way it works.

So Ryan, no, I don't hate you. I hate the way you exited the club. I don't wish you well in your football pursuits. But I enjoyed watching you for the past 10 years, and I will enjoy watching Tom Boyd in the RWB for longer. The boos will be deserved. But I hope if you are at all mentally fragile, life away from the spotlight will see you okay post-football career.

You campaigners are a hard bunch.

He's only mistake was not having the balls to decline the captaincy with us. We all know he was never the man for the job but the club pushed him into it. Trying to make him something he never could be or wanted to be.

I won't be booing Griff, wish him all the best and if a properly run coaching department could've made a decent decision he would still be a Doggie.

After Wednesdays events both clubs have come out on top. Look forward to strong battles in the future.

Ryan Griffen was a great player for the Bulldogs, certainly one of my favourites. I'm sad to see him go, and wish him the best for my second favourite (actually third, "daylight" is second) team, the Giants.

Ryan Griffen was a great player for the Bulldogs, certainly one of my favourites. I'm sad to see him go, and wish him the best for my second favourite (actually third, "daylight" is second) team, the Giants.
Your 2nd fav team is the Giants...

My inclination is to summon the wrath of Igloo and insult you...but it seems you have intercepted and insulted yourself worse then i could... touche!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back