Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he would be the perfect sub for a while (and he is the sub in my round 1 team). I feel it keeps him in the side, and gives us flexibility if a mid, back or forward needs changing.

Leigh Harding

“Lester has also been very good in the midfield. He is a bigger sort of body so can really own his area. He’s been getting his hands on a lot of the football.”

“We actually made Ryan our Captain in the first game, and he seemed to relish the opportunity.”

Not sure whether being Reserves captain is a good thing or not...

Ryan will be playing against Adelaide next week. He is to good to be playing in the NEAFL.

Ryan will be playing against Adelaide next week. He is to good to be playing in the NEAFL.
He hasnt really set the world on fire.Im deferring to the selection panel at this stage.

Jared Polec (ankle), Patrick Wearden (face) and Ryan Lester (adductor) all suffered injuries from the Lions’ senior and reserves matches at Metricon Stadium.
Lester, meanwhile, suffered an less serious adductor injury, but will be closely monitored by the Club throughout the week.

A question for our reserves watchers. How good is Lester in close and how explosive is he from the midfield?

I remember seeing him take off in the West Coast game last year and left them all for dead, I think he surprised himself by how quick he actually was (although there aren't too many fleet of foot at the Eagles at the moment). I do remember reading during his drafting that he was quite quick in the 20m sprint.

If he is explosive in close and being that size he really could be quite the asset we are looking for.

Adrian Fletcher:

While Pearce Hanley’s return to the side was expected, Fletcher said Lester’s inclusion would give the team some more ‘fresh legs’.

“Ryan’s got the strength and size to compete against guys like Josh Kennedy, Ryan O’Keefe and Jude Bolton in the midfield,” Fletcher said.

“He’s also very versatile, so can shift down back or up forward as we need.”

Lester_Spoil-hero.jpg

I've said this for a long time but I really like him as a footballer. A quiet achiever but he does most things right and very little wrong. I think he was in the shadow of more flashy footballers for a while but it seems to me that the broader fan base is starting to appreciate what he brings to the group. For a big unit, he's got great agility, compete well below his knees, is quick enough and loves the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also played his best games against the better teams. Something that cannot be said for 95% of our squad.

He can hold his head up high for his efforts against the Swans. Was probably our best player, used the ball well enough but also laid a lot of tackles something that the rest of the Lions couldn't do. Love his work in close for such an inexperienced player against the comps best contested ball team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back