Remove this Banner Ad

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
So in light of the Dan McStay thread and Lester being talked about as a trade option for Beams, I thought I'd start this thread. For those who read my posts they would know that I rate Lester very highly. I hope we don't trade him even for Beams. I'd rather trade someone or something else.

I think Lester is best suited in the midfield, however with Beams likely at Brisbane next year, he will be thrust forward or back.

Back- Ryan played his first full season for our great club as a defender with stints in other positions. He offers a lot as a third tall and his kicking is quite reliable IMO. Therefore he is a good option off half back. However, he doesn't have the pace required to be such a damaging player off half back like Mathew Broadbent, Malceski or the Shaw brothers, he offers something else. I believe he could play a similiar role to Stratton, with a little more added freedom. Lester showed he can be accountable in previous years and if he can a good amount of rebound he could be quite valuable. I think he offers more than a Golby as his disposal is superior. Whilst I think he can offer us something as a back flanker, Cutler would offer us more due to his superior athleticism.

FWD- The best position IMO for Ryan. He can play the leading forward role. This would be a really important role for the team as if we could get a goal or two a game from whilst our young forwards are developing we will be a better team. I have not seen much of him as a forward so I cannot comment too much as to how he has gone previously. If he were to play forward next year he would add another element.

My main issue with Ryan is that he hasn't really made any position his. Lester's versatility is his biggest asset yet it hurts him at the same. He won't command a position in our starting midfield. I am yet to form an opinion as to where Ryan should play in OUR best 22 next year What are other people's thoughts on where we should play Lester?

Ryan is a very interesting player for all the reasons you have mentioned above, and one I will be watching a lot more closely in 2015.

In saying that, I don't feel qualified to comment as I have honestly not assessed his game too closely. From the glimpses I've seen, he has a lot of work to do on his game - reading the play and running in the right directions/places. However he has the tools, and appears to have the desire to become a very good player even it means he will not be a superstar. Teams need quality role players like Ryan.

He is an inside mid. 2015 will be a big year for him IMO. He is tracking along a lot like Kennedy from the swans did. The only question for me is how much can he improve on his kicking, it can be really good and then he makes silly errors with his kicking. I do think it is a composure/experience thing though not a skill issue though.

Ryan is a very interesting player for all the reasons you have mentioned above, and one I will be watching a lot more closely in 2015.

In saying that, I don't feel qualified to comment as I have honestly not assessed his game too closely. From the glimpses I've seen, he has a lot of work to do on his game - reading the play and running in the right directions/places. However he has the tools, and appears to have the desire to become a very good player even it means he will not be a superstar. Teams need quality role players like Ryan.
I feel you are spot in with him having a desire. I feel he will do anything for the team and work hard to be what we need.

I like him best as a clearance winning midfielder; has a few things he needs to work on but I think he has a lot of potential and I love that he has the flexibility to be used just about anywhere else on the field.

On his speed, is he actually slow? He has an ungainly running style and plays like he should be slow but I've seen a lot of instances where I'm surprised at his movement and it seemed a lot like the way Vossy was using him that he was being encouraged to take the game on and be a burst player. I know his athleticism tested through the roof as a draftee and I'm not sure speed was ever a high point but I really don't think he's as slow as most people think.

I like him best as a clearance winning midfielder; has a few things he needs to work on but I think he has a lot of potential and I love that he has the flexibility to be used just about anywhere else on the field.

On his speed, is he actually slow? He has an ungainly running style and plays like he should be slow but I've seen a lot of instances where I'm surprised at his movement and it seemed a lot like the way Vossy was using him that he was being encouraged to take the game on and be a burst player. I know his athleticism tested through the roof as a draftee but I don't think speed was ever a high point but I really don't think he's as slow as most people think.
With a midfield of:

Foll: Martin Rockliff Beams
C: Rich Redden Hanley

I do not see where he could fit in. If Beams wasn't likely to come I think he would be best suited as a mid.

With a midfield of:

I do not see where he could fit in. If Beams wasn't likely to come I think he would be best suited as a mid.

Those guys will need to rest and Lester's flexibility to be used in virtually any other position could work in his favour. He'd probablt be in the third tier but not out of the question he can seize a spot in the 22.

i see him more as that shaun bourgoyne type of player were he can play wherever nessacary and still have a strong impact on the game all he needs is to have a bit more composure and back himself a bit more in my opinion. personally i would hate lester to go i think he will be a gun and a key part of our team for years to come and add some good depth to the side aswell. plus he has been loyal and is dating zorks sister do you really want to separate brothers in law

With a midfield of:

He fits in the rotation. He fits in the player who can fulfill one of these players' roles when they are out or rested.

My admiration for the Hawks is partly due to their fantastic team attitude and ability to recognise, define and adequately play roles that each player on the field has. They are confident when player x goes down, player y is there to come in and pick up the slack.

I'm not saying Lester is going to be a merely a depth player, he has a spot in the 22 if he desires. When I think back on the glory days, players like Pike, White, Notting and McGrath all came in and did what they needed to (and more in alot of cases).

Midfielder. In 2013 I think he played quite well when black was out of the team filling his role... When black was in he was a bit lost and seemed to be subbed off or not in the team often.

I wonder if he still has tank issues because he seems to be subbed off even when having a good game.

I think the great thi about him though is versatility. Play him as a midfielder and if we are short a forward or back he can play tall(ish) or small at either end as well.

I think I'm of the minority that cannot stand the way he plays. Turnover after turnover, poor decision after poor decision. All good having the ability to win the contested ball, but using it well is the real challenge. The better midfielders at our club can hit targets up forward, Lester struggles to do it consistently.

With that being said, the guy knows how to kick goals. Chuck him up forward and he'll kick his two goals a game. Pretty good on the run, too.

Inside mid who can rest forward for me. He needs to get another 5-10% out of his tank. He gets gassed when he has to use his strength at the moment imo. He seems like he can motor along all day at medium pace but when ever he has to execute after high level exertion his skills fall apart. His general composure is good, it's really just when he finds himself in the outside after having exerted himself in the previous contest that his composure fails him.

I actually think his goal kicking is pretty ordinary. I think he panics.

I've always seen him as a midfielder. The one point of difference he has compared to our other mids is his size. He's near KPP sized and that advantage is starting to show.

But he's not covering the ground well enough and his disposal by foot still needs work. It is still early days in his career but he's going to need to really improve one or both of those aspects to push his way into our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a handy inside mid. Has the ability to get the ball in tight and break from the pack. He could be our Mundy if he continues to develop. I actually like the guy but and its a massive but... His major fault is his poor attitude to the chase. I have seen this guy fail to run down a Ruckman and look like he is totally stuffed. Two minutes later with a goal in the offing he's broken from a pack like Usain Bolt. That shouts attitude.

With Patfull gone I can see him slotting into the backline. He started his career there and that's where he will most likely find a position. ATM he is midfield depth, but he would probably make our starting defence. Interesting times ahead for Ryan.

I dont think he is best 22, inside mid and Robertson gone past him

I dont think he is best 22, inside mid and Robertson gone past him

I agree on the first part but Robertson definitely hasn't gone past him. He might have shown more but he hasn't played better.

I agree on the first part but Robertson definitely hasn't gone past him. He might have shown more but he hasn't played better.
If his shoulder is right, Robertson (injury free) will play most of the games. Keep in mind he didnt play a lot in the year he was drafted, slid from a potential top 3 pick. He will have huge upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back