Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the Humphrey nickname ever really stuck beyond the fact he didn't say much when he was first drafted? Reckon it needs to be axed from the thread title.

The infinitely better 'Mo' nickname needs to be added.

Lester last man standing
February 20, 2014
Sam Lord

The off-season departures of Patrick Karnezis, Elliot Yeo, Sam Docherty, Billy Longer and Jared Polec has left Ryan Lester as one of only three players remaining at the Brisbane Lions from the 2010 and 2011 AFL National Drafts.

Lester (drafted in 2010) – along with Josh Green (2010) and Patrick Wearden (2011) – now represents a key demographic in the make-up of the Lions’ list.

And fortunately, unlike some of his former contemporaries, the 21-year-old from Victoria doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“I moved away from home, the same as a lot of the boys, and tried my best to enjoy myself and do the best that I could,” Lester revealed on the first edition of the Fancast for 2014.

“I’ve got a lot of very close mates up here now, so am definitely very happy to be up in Brisbane.”

“Me and Greeny have joked a few times that we’re the last ones standing.”Lester was also quizzed about ‘that’ missed kick in the dying stages of the Round 23 match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium which, at the time, could have potentially handed the Lions a Finals berth.

“I got over it once we were on the bus and Carlton beat Port Adelaide (making the result of the Lions’ match irrelevant),” Lester said.

“It all became a big joke after that. It was obviously disappointing and could have been a good moment for me, but we just joke about that now.”

Lester_Running-hero.jpg

NAB Challenge eye-catchers

Ryan Lester
On the surface he's not the most fashionable or flamboyant player, but Lester continues to impress and forge a home in the Lions' midfield. In a team badly walloped by Hawthorn in its first NAB Challenge match, the 21-year-old could hold his head high, with 24 disposals, seven clearances and eight tackles. Standing 191cm, he is a perfect build for the taller modern-day midfielder and is continually improving. Lester loves to do the hard work at the bottom of a pack and is a great foil for the more 'outside' Lions midfielders like Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley and Sam Mayes. - Michael Whiting

HARWOOD AND LESTER STEP UP

Ryan Harwood and Ryan Lester might not be household names but they are quickly becoming key players for the Brisbane Lions. Harwood, 23 has 42 games under his belt while Lester, 22, has played 38 games. This pre-season, the pair have been given more responsibility and have rewarded Justin Leppitsch with strong performances against Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Lester was one of the few Lions to hold his head up against the Hawks, finishing with a team-high 98 SuperCoach points. He backed that up with 80 against the Suns while Harwood chipped in with 78 points from 24 disposals.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/th...ions-bounce-back/story-fndv7pj3-1226835911323

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
6/10 – One of three Lions to win double-figure contested possessions (10) to go with five clearances.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

But Moloney saved his hidden gem for last.

While five youngsters left the club in the off-season, one from the same draft as Polec and Karnezis stayed on and looks set to flourish.

Ryan Lester has eased his way into the midfield rotation in the past two years and quietly played 35 of the past 44 matches.

He had 24 disposals in the thumping from Hawthorn in the first NAB Challenge match and backed it up with 19 against the Suns at the weekend.

But it's how the 191cm Victorian gets his touches that is impressive.

"I've been really impressed with Ryan Lester," Moloney said. "He's going to be that inside, contested ball player that we need.

"We've worked pretty close together. He's had a great pre-season and I think he can develop into that … I don't want to say like Josh Kennedy, but that type, that bit taller inside midfielder."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-27/next-wave-excites-moloney

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

One of the bright spots. Had it 20 times and looked composed. 6/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Used in defence and steady without setting the world on fire. 4/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

Got to 'chat' to Ryan at a function on Friday night. Quiet kid, think I get the 'Humphrey' nickname now.

Nice bloke though. Talked about the problems the team has at the moment (five mins in two words; 'too young') and that he has been told to work on some things in the NEAFL so that he is 'more complete' next year. He said he isn't concerned and wants to just get a regular game.

To be honest he wasn't the most expansive chat. He ended up speaking to my 7 year old more than me. He asked about his Auskick, fave position etc, then quizzed him for five minutes about player numbers (for the record my son nailed every one, even a couple guys who haven't played this year).

Then to cap things off he spent the second half of the function playing pool with a few other 5 year olds in the other room.

Another one who seems to want his game to do the talking, and hopefully he knows what to do to ensure that he gets the chance.

Is Lester out for six weeks with his injury? (Although the Lions website has him down as Wearden, who played his first game back this week):

Jack Redden (Ankle) - TBC
Tom Cutler (Groin) - 4 weeks
James Polkinghorne (Ankle) - 1-2 weeks
Patrick Wearden (Quad) - 6 weeks
Daniel Rich (Knee) - Season
Brent Staker (Foot) - Season
Luke McGuane (Knee) - Season
Trent West (Knee) - Season

Is Lester out for six weeks with his injury? (Although the Lions website has him down as Wearden, who played his first game back this week):

Jack Redden (Ankle) - TBC
Tom Cutler (Groin) - 4 weeks
James Polkinghorne (Ankle) - 1-2 weeks
Patrick Wearden (Quad) - 6 weeks
Daniel Rich (Knee) - Season
Brent Staker (Foot) - Season
Luke McGuane (Knee) - Season
Trent West (Knee) - Season

That's what I assumed.

Looks like I may have been a bit hasty in writing Lester off for six weeks. From the Lions website:

"It was better news, however, for Ryan Lester, who was subbed out of last Saturday’s game with a quad injury.
Thankfully there was no significant damage to Lester’s quad, and he was even able to train with the group on Tuesday.
He will continue to be monitored, but is a chance to line-up against the Tigers at the MCG."

and

"Two players who unfortunately won’t be in line for a senior recall this week are Tom Cutler (groin) and Patrick Wearden (quad), who will both miss a month of football through injury."

Not a misprint after all - bloody bad luck for Wearden though.

Not a good look for Burton and his team as well. Seems there has been a few setbacks to players coming back from injury,

Not a good look for Burton and his team as well. Seems there has been a few setbacks to players coming back from injury,

Wouldnt read to much into that. Stakers set back would be a combination of Age and perhaps staker over doing it slightly in his desperation to get back. McGrath has come back fine and Burger as well.

I would love Lester to have a go at being our 3rd tall forward for a couple of games. After watching him this year and going over his draft information, he actually has very strong hands. While it doesn't seem to come out while playing in the midfield, I think he is actually pretty quick off the mark as well. All the right attributes to be a leading forward 3rd forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back