Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would love Lester to have a go at being our 3rd tall forward for a couple of games. After watching him this year and going over his draft information, he actually has very strong hands. While it doesn't seem to come out while playing in the midfield, I think he is actually pretty quick off the mark as well. All the right attributes to be a leading forward 3rd forward.

think this is a position we have a few legitmate candidates on

Swanny10

Crasher of Packs
Sep 14, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GSW (NBA), Maroons, QLD Bulls
I would love Lester to have a go at being our 3rd tall forward for a couple of games. After watching him this year and going over his draft information, he actually has very strong hands. While it doesn't seem to come out while playing in the midfield, I think he is actually pretty quick off the mark as well. All the right attributes to be a leading forward 3rd forward.

He can play this role but I don't see it as his best role having showed plenty of promise as a midfield extractor. I think ideally with his height and pretty good hands he should be able to play some meaningful minutes up forward and this is an area the coaching staff have been trying to work with him on.

For mine I'd hope that Lester would be able to be handy resting up forward (like a lot of good midfielders are used as nowadays - Cotchin, Fyfe, Pendlebury, Swan, Watson, Goddard etc), but I like him a lot as a midfielder.

Ive actually really liked Lester playing as a defender. He does play good footy as a mid, but it is finding a place he can rotate and play through. He isnt great on the outside to be able to play on a wing or across HB, so a target up forward would be probably his best suited spot. Our team needs to get better at being able to spot up our smaller players inside 50 though.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
-Paperone, Mcguane, Mayes, Bewick all are options for that position, I think lester is better off continuing to develop is game as a midfielder
The only third tall option I see there is Mcguane. The rest I would consider medium/running forwards. Not that I believe Lester should play there, moreso that I don't believe we are stacked with too many good options. I'd probably say Staker and Mcguane are the only two on our list atm that are likely to make an impact at senior level.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the reserves wrap:
Ryan played the first half only, and was one of the dominant players on the ground. He was very influential, but at half-time we put him on ice and then flew him down to Melbourne as the emergency. He exceeded our expectations.
Stats: 19 disposals, 9 clearances, 2 goals

9 clearances in the first half is ridiculous. There may be a few competing forces with selection, but Lester could be a great addition against Freo in this form.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Three Lions in U22 squad

Three Brisbane Lions players – Ryan Lester, James Aish, and Lewy Taylor – are among a squad of 45 young guns vying for a place in the AFL Players Associations’ prestigious 22Under22 team. Lester, who has played 51 games in four seasons with the Club, has listed among the potential defenders, and is the most experienced Lions player named in the squad.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Bit of a surprise TBH. Who determines who makes the initial squad? I read something about the fans getting to vote on it.

I think they comprise part of it.

Any award where the fans get a say e.g. mark of the year etc., IMO cheapen awards, particularly because they inevitably become a popularity contest which us Lions rarely win.

Bit of a surprise TBH. Who determines who makes the initial squad? I read something about the fans getting to vote on it.
The article explains that the AFL Players' Association Board, including its President Luke Ball selects the initial squad...

The article explains that the AFL Players' Association Board, including its President Luke Ball selects the initial squad...

You think I have time to read some article m8??

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ryan Lester will be given first crack at replacing Joel Patfull in Brisbane Lions defence

Lester, 22, has played 52 senior games, mainly as a midfielder, since his AFL debut in 2011.
At 190cm tall and 85kg, he is almost a physical copy of Patfull and has trained the house down over summer to earn his shot at the vital role.
“Whether it is something that lasts one month, six months or six years, I don’t know. But what I do know is that Ryan is a good footballer with a bright long-term future at this club,’’ Leppitsch said.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've seen them mention it a couple of times but what do they mean by driving leg? Kicking leg?

I'm guessing it's the leg that you push off on when you look to accelerate and burst out of the pack.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast - 02/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Ryan was very good. Starting now to work in transition at AFL standard, was probably our best midfielder on the day, particularly around stoppage and in his ability to get out and hit the scoreboard with two goals which is really important for him. It particularly makes him more of a dangerous midfielder, just backing up week to week.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Since we are all on the I told you so bandwagon on Lester and I said this last year, I'm pretty sure I can say it as well:cool:

Confidence is the big factor in his recent form IMO. I really hope that flows onto his field kicking which is still a concern for me.

Back