Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If JPod, Hunt and Chapman can get on another AFL list ROK will feel he still has 2 years to offer, his durability speaks for itself.
All those players were still getting games in their final season at their prior club, Hunt less so than the others due to injury. ROK can't get a game, I doubt anyone is going to want him, but I wouldn't begrudge him if he left. I would much rather they take him on as a coach etc like Henry Playfair and Nick Davis and keep him in the system, if that's what he wants to do.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
All those players were still getting games in their final season at their prior club, Hunt less so than the others due to injury. ROK can't get a game, I doubt anyone is going to want him, but I wouldn't begrudge him if he left. I would much rather they take him on as a coach etc like Henry Playfair and Nick Davis and keep him in the system, if that's what he wants to do.

Be honest this has Roosy all over it :p

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
If he leaves at the end of the year without another game, I hope he goes to GWS. I would enjoy the drama.

I hope and can only imagine the last thing ROK would want to do is show those snot-nosed, arrogant pricks Toby Greene and Stephen Coniglio how to be professionals.

FLYINV

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope and can only imagine the last thing ROK would want to do is show those snot-nosed, arrogant pricks Toby Greene and Stephen Coniglio how to be professionals.

Yep, if he does leave Sydney it'll only be to Victoria for family reasons.

ROK would make a terrific development coach though I think clubs like Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs have moved past the need for an experienced pro to play a couple of seasons alongside their young talent. If he wants to continue playing it may only be on minimum wage as a depth player for clubs which see themselves contending, which wouldn't be any different to his role at the Swans now.

Personally I hope he stays on at the Swans in a coaching role next year, and is able to instill his values and dedication on the next crop of recruits.

FLYINV

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Be honest this has Roosy all over it :p

Haha they're talking about Brett Kirk being high on the list of candidates to be groomed as the next Melbourne coach. Would be cool to see Roosy, Kirk and ROK in the same coaches box for sure.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, if he does leave Sydney it'll only be to Victoria for family reasons.

ROK would make a terrific development coach though I think clubs like Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs have moved past the need for an experienced pro to play a couple of seasons alongside their young talent. If he wants to continue playing it may only be on minimum wage as a depth player for clubs which see themselves contending, which wouldn't be any different to his role at the Swans now.

Personally I hope he stays on at the Swans in a coaching role next year, and is able to instill his values and dedication on the next crop of recruits.

Yer thing is ROK is not a depth player at our club lol his spot was taken by a debutant, he is not even in the emergencies.

FLYINV

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yer thing is ROK is not a depth player at our club lol his spot was taken by a debutant, he is not even in the emergencies.

I think he is a depth player, but with a strictly defined role. I guess the coaching staff don't just see a midfielder as a midfielder these days, there's varying types now and ROK is in the big bodied, inside mid role. He's very much the same type as Kennedy or Parker so I think he's the backup for these guys.

I kind of group Hanneberry and McVeigh as a similar types; Bird, McGlynn and Jack with each other; B.Jack, Lloyd and Cunningham another type, and Jetta in a class of his own.

I think he is a depth player, but with a strictly defined role. I guess the coaching staff don't just see a midfielder as a midfielder these days, there's varying types now and ROK is in the big bodied, inside mid role. He's very much the same type as Kennedy or Parker so I think he's the backup for these guys.

I kind of group Hanneberry and McVeigh as a similar types; Bird, McGlynn and Jack with each other; B.Jack, Lloyd and Cunningham another type, and Jetta in a class of his own.
Reidy? Haha.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Time already ran out when a zero gamer got the nod over him.

That may well be true, but it's nice to get a bit of an update, he is a club legend after all. Koori should be happy. Here is the link for anyone who is interested:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-30/time-running-out-for-okeefe

"I continually talk to Ryan and it's a week-by-week proposition," Longmire said on Monday.

"It's obviously been tough to this point because our players have been playing pretty well and been pretty consistent. What happens from here I'm unsure.

"Things do change pretty quickly. I'm sure Jake Lloyd wasn't expecting to get a senior call-up and he's been able to hold his spot."

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
it's actually an excellent call by horse (although to roks disadvantage) hes been getting regular games into the kids that he easily could have gifted to rok, so thats an additional 10 games experience so far, if we were to have a terrible run of injuries hed be able to call upon rok to do a job (hes a known quantity) while also having invested in our youth so theyre not raw come finals. its an.amazing position to ne in to have a player of roks calibre as an.insurance policy.

lets hope we dont need the insurance, but if we do itd be great to see rok have one last shot

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
That was the implication. Of course if another AFL club was willing to take the punt on him I'd wish him all the best.

he should focus on the cooking

That was the implication. Of course if another AFL club was willing to take the punt on him I'd wish him all the best.
The issue he has with lack of pace will be the biggest stopper to a lot of teams picking him up. At a stab I would say Bulldogs or Saints would be the only ones that may benefit with him playing a Goodes like role in support of Crameri-Bontempelli or Reiwoldt-Stanley. Melbourne might have a sniff purely because of the Roos factor. Maybe Mal and RO'K for Frawley and a second or third rounder?

Back