Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you guys think will get the number 5 guernsey next year? I hope it's Jake Lloyd. He deserves it.
Goodes is probably due a number upgrade, but he'll probably get passed over again in favour of a younger guy.
Lloyd would be the hot favourite. Biggs might be an outside chance.

RO'K must feel sick. Yes he had a slow start to the year but imagine getting dropped in Rd4 not knowing at the time it was your last game in the AFL. Great servant of the club, but a little on the disappointing side he couldn't go out on his terms.

On second thoughts, there's every chance it will be Heeney. After all the work ROK's put in with the the ressies this year, he's more likely to want to give it to someone he's been playing with and grooming. He seemed to be taking extra time with Heeney in that NEAFL GF video. I don't think he's even played a game with Lloyd, so I change my guess to Heeney.

I hope ROK is not leaving bitter, the only shame in this is that a great player doesn't get to go out at the top of his game.

Seeing Mitchell miss out, may help him see it is about team balance that he dropped off, and his form had dipped since late last year...

I hope ROK is not leaving bitter, the only shame in this is that a great player doesn't get to go out at the top of his game.

He might be bitter but I also hope he isn't and logic says he probably shouldn't be. The club told him it would be tough at the start of the year (and indeed it has been) and they have proved that at least they weren't being unreasonable given how well the side has played since he went out (as a consequence or subsequence, whatever). Throw in that presumably no other club has shown any interest in taking him on as a player so it's not like the Swans were alone in believing he was past it.

That's an argument in reason and this would have been a very emotional thing for ROK so I wouldn't be surprised if he harbours a little resentment. The club and the fans will always love him as one of our greatest though. Indeed, I really hope if there is a vacant spot on our coaching staff after this season, ROK can quickly be signed to fill the breach.

Thanks ROK for all the great games and memories.

Been a great career, Premiership and Norm Smith.

well, yes he has been a great servant to the club and was generally quite fearless in his attack on the ball.

........but, I still have nightmares in his lack of judgement in the 2006 grand final.......the spoil of the century by Daniel Chick(it cost the swans the match).......no it was a bad error by ROK to try and kick it with 3 eagles closing down on him( I was sitting in the crowd behink ROK and I could see it was stupid from there), there was a handball over the top to goodesy, or even a bounce handball to goodesy which was a better option, see:

well, yes he has been a great servant to the club and was generally quite fearless in his attack on the ball.

........but, I still have nightmares in his lack of judgement in the 2006 grand final.......the spoil of the century by Daniel Chick(it cost the swans the match).......no it was a bad error by ROK to try and kick it with 3 eagles closing down on him( I was sitting in the crowd behink ROK and I could see it was stupid from there), there was a handball over the top to goodesy, or even a bounce handball to goodesy which was a better option, see:

after watching the 2014 gf, Im sure rok would have made more impact than Lewis Jetta and Sam Reid. Reid was probably not fit.....but Jetta's excuse? he seemed to do anything possible to avoid making a contest!

Thank god we got him out of the place then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might be bitter but I also hope he isn't and logic says he probably shouldn't be. The club told him it would be tough at the start of the year (and indeed it has been) and they have proved that at least they weren't being unreasonable given how well the side has played since he went out (as a consequence or subsequence, whatever). Throw in that presumably no other club has shown any interest in taking him on as a player so it's not like the Swans were alone in believing he was past it.

That's an argument in reason and this would have been a very emotional thing for ROK so I wouldn't be surprised if he harbours a little resentment. The club and the fans will always love him as one of our greatest though. Indeed, I really hope if there is a vacant spot on our coaching staff after this season, ROK can quickly be signed to fill the breach.
I think it is really important that our ex-players who aspire to be coaches leave the Swans for a while and work in different systems. Picking up the best ideas from a range of sources is how you constantly improve. To keep to the same old ideas, without exposure to anything new could have you end up like, OMG, Collingwood. So for their own development, and so the club has a constant flow of new ideas I think it is good they levee and good people from other clubs come to us.

I really hope ROK leaves, gets a great grounding, but comes back to the Swans. Don't want to see him end up like Jolly - stranded with no way back, and too many bridges burned.

What are you on about, he has left and is going to coach at the Crows. He's nothing like that weak rat in Jolly

We've had many great players come through the club and play their best years for us, and then disappear never to be seen again.

Going into another club system can actually speed that process up. I just hope it doesn't in his case. He was one of my favourite players.

It wasn't a great year for him in 2014. I'm not an insider. But looking in, he seemed pretty out of joint with practically being delisted mid season. I only mentioned Jolly as it ended up being a little acrimonious in his situation. I just don't want it to turn sour down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back