Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you on about, he has left and is going to coach at the Crows. He's nothing like that weak rat in Jolly

Yeah!
ROK walks in to the club whenever he wants as far as I'm concerned.
I will never forget his job on Mitchell in the 2012 GF & just in case any of us did forget, the 2014 GF showed us just how much Mitchell tore us a new one.

I'll get shot down for saying this but it's something I have been thinking about after the 63 point loss!
I have NO doubt at all that ROK would have got the absolute best out of himself should the unthinkable have happened & he played the GF this year, just for the match up on Mitchell & even though we still would have lost, I know Mitchell wouldn't have had the same dominance.

No doubt he was finished & should never have played but in hindsight, it couldn't have been worse.

Good luck to Rhino & I hope in 5 years time we can all sit back & enjoy having guys such as Rhino, Kirky etc on the coaching panel.

He will be remembered as a great of the club, not like the finger pointer
Haha, I reckon you may have a slight bias there Bedders... Assumign Macca is pushed back again in 2015 and can grab another AA or two the next few years, he'll go down as a great of the club too.

However, I agree, Pebbles was part of that amazing group early/mid 2000's that began this amazing run we've been on the last decade. As far as I'm concerned our first ever Norm Smith medallist is welcome back whenever he damn well sees fit. Hope nothing but the best for him over here in SA and that he can develop into an outstanding coach.

A bit of reminiscence about one of my all time favourites.

How often did ROK step up in big games and big moments, epic player and absolutely worthy of being our Norm Smith Medalist imo

Hanners should have won it
My annual repost of Hannebery going head-to-head against O'Keefe and collapsing like there was a sniper in the building, while O'Keefe charges on

ROK clearly wasn't flashy enough and doesn't get enough respect for his incredible consistency and output in the middle that year

ezgif-3-05e806b24edd.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My annual repost of Hannebery going head-to-head against O'Keefe and collapsing like there was a sniper in the building, while O'Keefe charges on

ROK clearly wasn't flashy enough and doesn't get enough respect for his incredible consistency and output in the middle that year

ezgif-3-05e806b24edd.gif
I have a lot of positives to say about Hanners but everytime he took a hit he always looked like he took both barrels from a shotgun

Not a stager but everything looked like it hurt

ezgif-3-05e806b24edd.gif
This was about the Norm Smith and no one is having a go at ROK

ezgif-3-05e806b24edd.gif
in fairness to Hanners in that situation, he's copping a skull/forehead to the nose/face, where as Okeefe cops a nose/face to the skull/forehead. I know who I'd rather be in that situation.

I thought Hannerbery was our best player that day, but take nothing away from Okeefes excellent match.

ezgif-3-05e806b24edd.gif

[/QUOT
Why didn’t we get a free for that ? Like the dogs did in the 2016 GF.

I think it's a bit unfortunate that any time ROK gets mentioned and the Norm Smith is listed as one of his achievements the conversation immediately goes to "But Hanners was better and he should've won". It sometimes gets lost just how good a game O'Keefe had in that grand final, his performance was epic in its own right.

Given a large part of why we won was our ferocity at the contest that day and our pressure ROK was at the forefront of that, often winning out in the clinches against a midfield of Lewis, Sewell, Mitchell at the peak of their powers. 15 tackles is only bettered by Jimmy Bartel in a wet game in 09.

Hanners had a brilliant game and there's a strong case in favour of him for the Norm Smith, but I don't think O'Keefe was any less influential in the result and a more than worthy winner. We never truly managed to replace his impact after he started to decline, wish we had someone who could replicate his presence in the middle in 14.

Anyway, I digress a couple more gems of a throwback

In this game, we smashed the Hawks at the SCG. ROK totally outclassed his opponent for much of the day Hodge and kicked 4 goals on him. Also happened to be the game Jetta kicked his first goal after 19 behinds.

We ended up losing this game, but I still find it enjoyable nonetheless knowing we win the GF later in the year. O'Keefe's shot off one step 45m out on a 45 degree angle is pretty impressive in a pressure moment.

I think it's a bit unfortunate that any time ROK gets mentioned and the Norm Smith is listed as one of his achievements the conversation immediately goes to "But Hanners was better and he should've won". It sometimes gets lost just how good a game O'Keefe had in that grand final, his performance was epic in its own right.

Given a large part of why we won was our ferocity at the contest that day and our pressure ROK was at the forefront of that, often winning out in the clinches against a midfield of Lewis, Sewell, Mitchell at the peak of their powers. 15 tackles is only bettered by Jimmy Bartel in a wet game in 09.

Hanners had a brilliant game and there's a strong case in favour of him for the Norm Smith, but I don't think O'Keefe was any less influential in the result and a more than worthy winner. We never truly managed to replace his impact after he started to decline, wish we had someone who could replicate his presence in the middle in 14.

As I'm sure swansfan51 would love to point out, we had Tom Mitchell playing NEAFL all year...

Even dropped him after 29 touches and 13 tackles in the dead rubber H&A game.

The 2012 call was tough, watching the game I was almost certain Hanners had it, and afterwards, I would probably still give it to Hanners, but looking at that highlights package, ROK was definitely a worthy winner. Some really impressive extractions there, and nice gives to get the ball moving forward, very composed. I'd have to re-watch both of them to to form an educated opinion at this point.

Hanners had some really epic touches in that game, the give to Malceski to kick the sealer, that crunching mark in the first, his goal in the fourth to bring us back into the game and a few other great touches. Some real team lifting moments that you can't quantify on a stat sheet.

ROK had the weight of numbers behind him, but Hanners had a few sublime moments. I guess the umps made the call on the day, and Hanners was a bit stiff, but can't begrudge ROK winning.

The 2012 call was tough, watching the game I was almost certain Hanners had it, and afterwards, I would probably still give it to Hanners, but looking at that highlights package, ROK was definitely a worthy winner. Some really impressive extractions there, and nice gives to get the ball moving forward, very composed. I'd have to re-watch both of them to to form an educated opinion at this point.

Hanners had some really epic touches in that game, the give to Malceski to kick the sealer, that crunching mark in the first, his goal in the fourth to bring us back into the game and a few other great touches. Some real team lifting moments that you can't quantify on a stat sheet.

ROK had the weight of numbers behind him, but Hanners had a few sublime moments. I guess the umps made the call on the day, and Hanners was a bit stiff, but can't begrudge ROK winning.
The umps don't make the call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back