Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

That is part of the reason why we got away last year with an unorthodox forward structure of one very tall ruckman and two fairly talls, one of whom is an exceptional runner, paired with two fast smalls and one quickish small: Rioli, Pops, and Bruest.

A standard well structured defence has two talls, a smaller lighter third tall, a medium who is often the outlet kicker (e.g. Malceski, we use Birchall and to a lesser degree Burgs to cover this role) and two smaller defenders for minding the small forwards. We stretched defences with the lack of a medium matchup and with the best two small defenders having to cover Breust and Rioli most defences did have anyone quick enough to go with Pops.

The fact that Gunners can beat most taller opponents 1-on-1 both above head and on the lead is critical to our success last year.

When Roughy gets back to marking rather than just looking for crumbs, the whole team will look much better.

I think the key to getting Rough back into form is for the smalls to stand up and force the opposition to isolate Rough 1-on-1.

Not to mention that all of our smalls are exceptional marks for their size.

Breust is solid lead-up marking option, Poppy is a reasonably good pack mark and Rioli can beat a taller opponent 1-on-1 more often than not.

Rather than focusing on kicking to the talls, we should be kicking to a small leading-up (e.g. Breust) and have one of Rioli/Poppy there to crumb. The moment Rough gets involved the opposition suddenly have their best intercept mark ready to snipe the ball.

Look at teams like Collingwood that have now utilised Elliot/Blair in this sort of mold to great effect.

That was par with how he gone this season, except NIL goals. He needs a breakout game to move himself out of that bottom 6 or it will be another tough second half for the cobbler.

Thought he was much better than Roughead (who was invisible until the last quarter, and only then through the midfield) and Gunston (playing sore) last night. Was at least presenting at the kicker and forcing a contest, bringing the ball to ground. Had more of an impact than stats show

However, I agree with the above poster in that he's searching for that breakout game

Unfortunately, he just couldn't hold on to his marks, even let a couple of easy chest go. If he had have held these, maybe he could have kicked three, and we would be looking at his game in a totally different light. But, as others have said, he does need that breakout game, and kick 4 or 5, and who better than the scum for him to achieve that.

Unfortunately, he just couldn't hold on to his marks, even let a couple of easy chest go. If he had have held these, maybe he could have kicked three, and we would be looking at his game in a totally different light. But, as others have said, he does need that breakout game, and kick 4 or 5, and who better than the scum for him to achieve that.

Will actually be tricky against the Scum, Hooker and Hurley aren't terrible defenders, though whether Shoe ends up with one of the them is hard to know

Cyril, Roughead and Gunston all had troubles holding marks last night too.

He didn't contribute a lot last night but would like to see him keep his spot. Will be difficult with Birch and Langford getting close.

Cyril, Roughead and Gunston all had troubles holding marks last night too.

He didn't contribute a lot last night but would like to see him keep his spot. Will be difficult with Birch and Langford getting close.

Wasn't just marks, there were lots of fumbles, like the ball was wet. We had issues picking the ball up on multiple occasions

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan played as a sweeper at half back or even on the wing. He needs to cover more ground and lift his work rate if he's going to make it. In glimpses this year he has shown he has something to offer with Lake & Gibson retiring soon but he's gotta have a break out game soon. Maybe some time in the mid field rotation may get him going.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan played as a sweeper at half back or even on the wing. He needs to cover more ground and lift his work rate if he's going to make it. In glimpses this year he has shown he has something to offer with Lake & Gibson retiring soon but he's gotta have a break out game soon. Maybe some time in the mid field rotation may get him going.
Doesn't read the play well enough or dispose well enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't read the play well enough or dispose well enough
This......the reading the play bit. You cant teach that.

Glad his knees seem to be holding up okay though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I like him as a forward.
I do too but his double grabbers belong at ammos level. He played 1 polished game at VFL level up forward was straight into the side and played poorly last night. He actually looks class up forward when he is in the front position but can't seal the deal. Don't know why that is good enough to be straight in the AFL side. Got caught napping behind defensively too twice. Maybe Clarko just likes blondes?

I do too but his double grabbers belong at ammos level. He played 1 polished game at VFL level up forward was straight into the side and played poorly last night. He actually looks class up forward when he is in the front position but can't seal the deal. Don't know why that is good enough to be straight in the AFL side. Got caught napping behind defensively too twice. Maybe Clarko just likes blondes?
He definitely has something to work with.

Think of him as a better looking Jesse White.

I'll take his double grabbers over Roughead's one handed no grabbers any day.

He definitely has something to work with.

Think of him as a better looking Jesse White.

I'm a Schoey fan, I love his build and overall skill set. He has solid hands for the most part and is a very good kick, however your comparison got me thinking...

Think of him as a better Jesse White? Ok, I did that and even though its early I've come to the conclusion that Jesse White is probably the better footballer. That leaves me with the thought that unless this obvious talent that Schoe has can be developed in the back half of the year, it may be time to move him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back