Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well on Friday. Did his job against a pretty strong defense. Chased, tackled, competed, spoiled, smashed packs hard. Clarko wouldn't ask for any more than that.

Was he the most influential player? Not even close but to say he had no impact is dead set wrong. He created multiple opportunities bringing the ball to ground (I really wish Cyril stayed down for a few of those crumbing opportunities rather than going for the mark). His diving spoil in our defensive half probably saved a goal. Helped create a couple goals here and there which coincidentally was the winning margin. He didn't win us the game off his own boot but he was a contributor not a passenger.

Numpties in here expecting a young forward turned defender turned forward (he's never had the time to learn a position) to kick bags of four goals and taking 4 or 5 contested marks a game. Even Roughy doesn't do that. What we need Schoey to do is just the basics and his role. The rest will hopefully come eventually.

Didn't put a foot wrong. Stays in the team IMO.

Last edited:

Agreed. Thought Schoenmakers did everything asked of him on Friday night. Had the ball bombed on his head in a ridiculously crowded forward line too many times to count and he always made a great contest. Would be mad to replace him with Spangher/O'Brien/Grimley for this week. The other benefit is he'll get either McPharlin or Pearce this week with only Ibbotson sitting in the hole. Can definitely kick a couple this week and contribute

If only he could actually get the ball.

Was pathetic this week.

another so called Hawthorn "supporter"..... are you going to justify this comment with "but i'm entitled to my opinion" crap as well as several other well known Hawthorn "supporters" ? There is expressing an opinion than there is low cheap shots which are plain cruel and in this case point blank wrong. Shoey was more than serviceable on Friday night, took a ripping contested mark, goaled as a direct result,and fought like a terrrior all night creating numerous opportunities for our small forwards.

I've said this before and i'll say it again posters like you and kololokronis who have most likely never played the game yourselves yet are the first to label our players as "weak" or "pathetic" etc. Seriously would it kill you to be a bit more constructive and/or positive in your "opinion" on our players???

another so called Hawthorn "supporter"..... are you going to justify this comment with "but i'm entitled to my opinion" crap as well as several other well known Hawthorn "supporters" ? There is expressing an opinion than there is low cheap shots which are plain cruel and in this case point blank wrong. Shoey was more than serviceable on Friday night, took a ripping contested mark, goaled as a direct result,and fought like a terrrior all night creating numerous opportunities for our small forwards.

I've said this before and i'll say it again posters like you and kololokronis who have most likely never played the game yourselves yet are the first to label our players as "weak" or "pathetic" etc. Seriously would it kill you to be a bit more constructive and/or positive in your "opinion" on our players???

Don't mind Shakes, he is always negative. It's his style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like all our talls to coordinate better this week.
Hopefully they will, figure they only had one maybe two practices to sort themselves out.

First time without Roughy out there organising them for a while

Not quite the breakout game that many Shoey apologists have been looking for but if he improves on what was most clearly a solid performance, he wouldn't be that far away I would think.

If his role was to take his man to the ball and create packs so that Haler, Gunner and Cegs couldn't take a mark then he performed beautifully. He does have a lovely left leg though. Keeping Roughys spot warm is all.

Great kick for goal, just needs to increase the goal output for mine. Seems to get his 1 every week, just needs to increase this to 2-2.5 a week as he then becomes more of a threat for opposition teams.

Loved how he competed on Friday night, and continued to present to the footy.

Would like all our talls to coordinate better this week.

That's where it falls down. Bloody co-ordination

His kicking is A1 elite, but that presenting he showed was deplorable.

I honestly believe his niche lies in the lead out mark. He needs space and to run onto the ball. Once it's on his head, game over

That's where it falls down. Bloody co-ordination

His kicking is A1 elite, but that presenting he showed was deplorable.

I honestly believe his niche lies in the lead out mark. He needs space and to run onto the ball. Once it's on his head, game over
That's kind of Gunner's role. Jeepers - better as either a CHB or CHF but gets either FB or FF role. Resting ruck needs to do a better job though was my point

Whilst it's a legitimate debate as to whether Shoey is in our best 22 or even best 25 it's undeniable that we're lucky to have someone like him on our list.
Our current bomb to the hotspot gameplan doesn't help, he's a natural lead up forward and has most likely been instructed to stay inside 60ish metres from goal and give a contest, unlike Gunston who has more licence to roam up & down the ground.
FWIW I'm glad he's getting an extended run at it, it'll be obvious over the next couple weeks if he's up to the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back