Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Swingman Schoenmakers shows versatility
Nick Duxson July 27, 2015 10:00 AM
390456_nl.jpg

Ryan Schoenmakers kicked two goals for the Hawks on Friday night.

HAWTHORN swingman Ryan Schoenmakers continued his impressive run of form against Carlton on Friday night.

Schoenmakers’ versatility was again on show, as he started up forward, before also spending time in defence in the second half after Matt Spangher was subbed out of the game with a hamstring injury.

The 24-year-old tall had two goals to his name at the major break, and finished with 12 disposals, three marks and three tackles in another strong performance.

Schoenmakers said he was now confident in his ability to change roles seamlessly throughout games.

“I’ve had a lot of exposure at both ends now over the last couple of years, so it’s relatively easy (to switch mid-game),” he said.

“The mindset is I’m prepared for that, I know I’ve got to expect that some things happen in a game and I might need to change position.”

The 195-centimetre key position player has now played four consecutive AFL games – and 10 AFL games this season – and told AFL.com.au late last week that he was determined to help the club taste success over the coming years.

“I love the club and this is where I want to be,” Schoenmakers said.

“I missed out on the last couple (of premierships) so I really want to redeem myself and join my mates in some of that glory.

“There's obviously going to be people in a team like this that miss out and opportunities don't go their way, so there's always going to be that hunger and that extra drive for a few people and then obviously the team as a whole.

"It's definitely a big part (for me)."

The Hawks have now enjoyed eight wins in a row – including strong victories against Fremantle, Sydney Swans and Carlton in the past three weeks – heading into a big fortnight of football against top-four contenders Richmond and West Coast Eagles.

Schoenmakers said there was a real hunger within the group to keep performing.

“When you come with a plan and execute that plan it works out pretty well,” he said.

“We’ve had some tough opponents and the boys have been switched on and mentally we’ve just been ready to play each week.”

After the experience of losing Frawley and Lake early in the game in separate incidents at the start of the season, the coaches have clearly decided that we should have a third tall in the forward line, who can go back if we lose one of these two. The way Shoe has played this role means that he is guaranteed a spot, if he can maintain his current level of performance. His value as insurance outweighs the potential offensive benefits of someone like Sicily as an alternative forward target.

After the experience of losing Frawley and Lake early in the game in separate incidents at the start of the season, the coaches have clearly decided that we should have a third tall in the forward line, who can go back if we lose one of these two. The way Shoe has played this role means that he is guaranteed a spot, if he can maintain his current level of performance. His value as insurance outweighs the potential offensive benefits of someone like Sicily as an alternative forward target.
Unfortunately, Sicily and TOB aren't good enough to get a game. As a result we virtually play one short albeit a decoy of sorts.

Your view is vindicated by the fact that TOB had a stint in defence recently. Perhaps as back up swingman?

This year we've lost Chip twice, Lake once and he's looked pretty proppy a couple of other times and now Spang once, barring injury or a form reversal I expect Shoe will keep playing as both an asset up forward and insurance

From another Clogwog I understand this to mean that he reads the forward line like its his own language and it helps him to understand the backline
Hij leest de voorwaartse lijn zoals het is in zijn eigen taal en het helpt hem naar de achterste lijn te begrijpen.

Maar ik nog steeds denk dat hij niet zou moeten in de baklijn spelen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Reid has plenty of hype and I am not sure why. Shoey had some desperation last weekend and thats what has seemed to lack from his game at times. That and composure, neither of which Reid has. TBH Shoey's reputation was on the line a little in 2011 and then he went and dropped that mark in the prelim, if he took that and bombed the ball out and we held on, may have been a very different story for the cobbler. but.... If Robert was my fathers sister she'd be called Roberta.

Look closely at 2012 grand final reid managed to hold off shoey at half forward allowing another swan to create or score a goal.
This happened twice in a low scoring game but was ground work rather than aerial. For mine its was shoeys worst two incidents ever, not the ones normally complained about and obviously not the only bad points in the grand final. Otherwise shoe is normally all over reid

Hurley is also of the same vintage, similar draft order

Look closely at 2012 grand final reid managed to hold off shoey at half forward allowing another swan to create or score a goal.
This happened twice in a low scoring game but was ground work rather than aerial. For mine its was shoeys worst two incidents ever, not the ones normally complained about and obviously not the only bad points in the grand final. Otherwise shoe is normally all over reid

Hurley is also of the same vintage, similar draft order

Poor post IMO, Shoey as a third year player was one of the few players who could hold their head high in that GF. Young was insipid, suckling got smashed, puopolo couldn't get near it, hale wasn't right, hodge should never have played. Sewell was bloody magnificent and Shoey tried his heart out. Two single out two inoculous incidents from one of our better players that day is just mind blowing.

Having said that all the shoey knockers can get stuffed now, kid is showing how good he really is and is only going to get better.

Poor post IMO, Shoey as a third year player was one of the few players who could hold their head high in that GF. Young was insipid, suckling got smashed, puopolo couldn't get near it, hale wasn't right, hodge should never have played. Sewell was bloody magnificent and Shoey tried his heart out. Two single out two inoculous incidents from one of our better players that day is just mind blowing.

Having said that all the shoey knockers can get stuffed now, kid is showing how good he really is and is only going to get better.

Im one of his biggest spruikers actually, but as the saying goes 'he wouldnt have been happy with that'. And I did mention others that day

Shoey seems to be a very, very good shot at goal.

He just needs to start busting packs and bringing the ball to ground more often.

Once he starts doing that, he gets a better defender and that makes life easier for Breust, Gunners, Junior Boy, etc....

I've been one of his biggest haters but I'm changing my mind about him.

Having him, Gunston and roughie as mobile forwards, as well as schoenmakers capacity to cover down back, I think he has to stay in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back