Official Match Thread S16 GRAND FINAL - Fighting Furies V Geelong Gumbies @ Boncer's Castle

Who will be premiers S16?

• Fighting Furies

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Geelong Gumbies

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 16 Grand Final
q6cqMI4.png
V
300736_10150367220572209_4746432_n.jpg
Preview:

I know what everyone is thinking. Why on Earth is that Gumby so big? Well, it represents their season. It has been massive. This is undoubtedly the biggest moment in this club's history. Despite being one of the longest running clubs in the league, the Gumbies have failed to win a premiership. And here they are in the season 16 Grand Final against the most winningest team of them all.

It has been an interesting season for both of these clubs. The Furies were the talk of the town midway through the seasons, with mocking suggestions of mergers or collapses. Serious criticism came in the form of the number of posters turning up on game day. With some solid leadership, the Furies have gone a long way towards turning that perception around. On the field, they have gotten better as the season has progressed. They qualified first for this Grand Final and are quietly confident down at Punt Rd. The Gumbies have been a story of growth. Starting with an innovative club vote on many issues (including the leadership), the Gumbies have created a strong culture. This culture led to the recruitment of BoshtrichBurger, to further add to the Gumbies posting stocks. This stabilisation off the field has seen them incredibly well placed on it. The Gumbies have the best midfield in the business, and may be hard to stop if they get going next Monday.

Last Time They Met - Second Semi Final

Gumbies 13.12 (90) Defeated by Furies 24.16 (160)

Goals
Gumbies - StFly (5), Winty (2), Peterss, Claypigeon, TheDoctor11, Bucketss, Jeremais, Whoopsman
Furies - rfctigerarmy (9), Gringo Star, Eagleoz83 (3), Cutty, BILC, Captain Blood 17 (2), Mcuzzy, TheColeTrain, Filthy Sanzhez

Best
Gumbies - Whoopsman, Peterss, StFly
Furies - rfctigerarmy, Gringo Star, Flaps, Eagleoz83, Grockadoc

Review: A good old fashioned slaughtering. The Furies increased their lead at every change. It was an incredible performance from the Furies, who got well on top in the midfield. rfctigerarmy was the beneficiary kicking 9 goals in a 70 point win.

GRAND FINAL PREVIEW
Venue: Perhaps the biggest unknown of them all. How will both of these teams adjust to Boncer's Castle. There is a ruour sweeping the SFA that Boncer's dungeons could contain worse surprises than Josef Fritzl's. The castle will undoubtedly prove a challenge for both the Furies and the Gumbies. The Gumbies have taken up the offer to train on the venue on Friday. Interestingly, the Furies have neglected the offer and will train in front of their fans at Punt Rd.​
Form: They are both in the Grand Final, put it that way. Both teams will be feeling confident heading into the match. The Furies absolutely smashed the Gumbies down at Geelong just weeks ago. And yet the Gumbies are fresh off a thumping of the Hawks who held the same advantage over them. It was a confidence boosting win for the Gumbies, and the belief in this group is incredible.​
Where will the game be won? The engine room, without a doubt. Winning the midfield battle is crucial to the success of the Gumbies. The last time these two teams played, the Gumbies were deprived of the ball. Their midfield unit has been so good all season that it was a shock to see how outclassed they were. They will be looking to atone for that on the biggest stage of all. rfctigerarmy was the beneficiary of the Furies' ball use last time these teams met. The Gumbies will be looking to cut the supply into the forward line, and give StFly as many chances one on one as possible.​
Odds:
tom-waterhouse.jpg
Fighting Furies: $1.78​
Geelong Gumbies: $2.02​
Draw: $41​
Tips
Itsmyshow - None of these flogs deserve to win. The finals system should have allowed the Hawks at least another 2 losses before kicking us out.​
Pantskyle - I will wait until halftime, find out which team is winning and then jump on the bandwagon.​
Beez - I'm tipping the SFA mole will interrupt the game in the 3rd quarter by streaking. Also a massive fight between Tigland and Peterss.​
The Jet - I will play for whichever team wins...Or loses.​
Look Out For:
StFly V rfctigerarmy - Both of these players have had some good goal kicking returns of late. If named at FF, one of these players could win the game for their club.​
Midfield V Midfield - I couldn't name just a few. The Gumbies have a plethora of ball winners, featuring heavily in the league wide statistics. Peterss, Whoopsman, Mr Gor, A Bit High...The list goes on. And yet the Furies have so many capable players, with Filthy, Eagleoz, Grockadoc etc. It really will be a battle of the best midfielders in the competition.​
Half Time Entertainment - Boncer is said to have personally organised the half time entertainment for this game. No word yet on what it is, but it is sure to have the crowd on their toes.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Great write up od7...

Was gunna put a punt on, but then I thought the temptation of punching that smug git in the face would be to much.

However, Gumbies (?) by 13 points!

This really will be interesting. For the final time this season, this should turn into the Gumbies team thread.

If any bottles get thrown at the Furies from the crowd, it's not me, honest :)
By the way, your WaGs will be in safe hands up in the stands with the Swampies...

Gumbies by aplenty....and Swampies doing plenty... :p

the most winningest team of them all.
This was an awesome preview to this point. You lost me here when all I could picture was some fat American trying to gee-up a year 3 basketball team :(

Seriously though, great write-up :thumbsu:

What a boring game this will be. Don't want either team to win really :/.

Poignant because we don't want you in this thread gushing everywhere as we're unsure where Bonce keeps his tampons. Perhaps we can come to an arrangement in that you can be pissy we made it elsewhere?

The last time these two teams met in a Grand Final was also the last time the Grand Final was not held at the home ground of a Sweet FA club.

We be innovators, forefront of progress, lookit our humble ways to benefit the league and so on so forth.

Half Time Entertainment - Boncer is said to have personally organised the half time entertainment for this game. No word yet on what it is, but it is sure to have the crowd on their toes.

We heard that the chairs were going to retract to a pit of lava FYI, so when enjoying the game, be sure to frantically grab the individual next to you so that if you go down, they go down too!
All I know is, we won' run into any problems with the hot water. :thumbsu:

Congratulations on making the Grand Final Team A and Team B. It is a testament to your captains, most active posters and everyone involved in your respective sides to have reached the ultimate game. I know the best team will win and the supporters at your home stadium will be very proud of all you have done.

Great write up A+ :thumbsu:

Feel lucky that I have the opportunity to play in back to back GF's with the Furies, The difference this season will be that we will not lose.
We felt the disappointment last season of losing in the GF, we are much faster and stronger than what we were then. This is ours this year!!!

Boncer's castle. Can't wait for the Gumbies to get hit with the red shell as they line up for goal. Dies the winner get the princess or is she in another castle?

Grand final week. Getting used to this week now. Going to be a cracker. Always a belter when we play the Gumbies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why some people dont like you.

You seem like a very honest and balanced poster to me.

True, I am rather likable.

Furies by 100 goals.

Redemption is a dish best served warm in a tortilla wrap. But enough cooking advice. RISE UP FURIES!! Our unprecedented fifth premiership is upon us!

Our version of a Mexican Evita.

We heart you Chez :thumbsu:

Back where we belong. The most successful club in SFA history looking to add another premiership to their cabinet, and to atone for last year.

I see a Richmond V Collingwood 1980-esque performance coming on, Furies!

Back where we belong. The most successful club in SFA history looking to add another premiership to their cabinet, and to atone for last year.

I see a Richmond V Collingwood 1980-esque performance coming on, Furies!

#inbefore@Claypigeonmentions1982

This really will be interesting. For the final time this season, this should turn into the Gumbies team thread.

You mean like the other times we played them this season when that didn't happen?

Back