Sa Teal Cup Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Dirk_Diggler

Rookie
Jan 2, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi all, would anyone in here have a list of Teal Cup Captains from the 1980's. Just met a bloke around the pool bar in Bali who reckons he captained the team. Cheers

Hi all, would anyone in here have a list of Teal Cup Captains from the 1980's. Just met a bloke around the pool bar in Bali who reckons he captained the team. Cheers

I believe that Hotdog Hodson captained the 1981 Teal Cup side that included players like Kernahan, Bradley and Motley.

Three years ago I started a thread on the Port board about the best SA footballer after Mike Sheahan made comments about Ricciuto’s 300th game and that Ricciuto is the best player to come out of SA.

I drew a line in the sand at 1981 at making my list. It represented 25 seasons but more importantly I personally believe that that year heralded a bunch of kids that changed SA footy and elevated it to another level. In June of 1981 SA played Vic in the final of the Teal Cup which I’m pretty sure was an U/17 comp then. It was played at Waverly Park as a preview to the Haw v Col game and 92,900 people turned up. SA was in front by 3 or 4 goals either at ¾ time or early on in the last quarter. The Vics got a run on and the roar of the crowd must have got to the young croweaters and they surrendered their lead and lost by a couple of goals. Imagine being 17 and trying to battle against 92,000+ barracers.

I made the mistake of thinking Bradely, Platten, Kernahan, McDermott, McGuinness, Motley, McIntosh, Peter Krieg were all playing that day.

A subsequent discussion lead to this post

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5493796&postcount=11

Many thanks to Adelaide Hawk for the following info on the 1981 Teal Cup.

1981 Teal Cup Squad:
Coach: Alan Stewart
CENTRAL DISTRICT
Tano Barilla
Darel Hart
Peter Krieg
GLENELG
Paul Barratt
Tony Hall
Tony McGuinness
NORTH ADELAIDE
Matthew Campbell
David Sanders
NORWOOD
Michael Fioravanti
Garry McIntosh
Randall Ragenovich
PORT ADELAIDE
Nick Lalic
David O'Donovan
Dwayne Russell
SOUTH ADELAIDE
Michael Irvine
Paul Martin
Paul O'Connor
STURT
Peter Motley
WEST ADELAIDE
Wayne Duffield
Clayton Lamb
Peter Window
WEST TORRENS
Peter McIndoe
WOODVILLE
John Parker
Tony Ryles
PORT DISTRICTS
Mark Noble

5 South Australians were selected in the All Australian Team:
Peter Krieg, Nick Lalic, Clayton, Lamb, Peter Motley, Mark Noble.

Peter Motley was named SA's best & fairest player of the Championships

Michael Fioravanti and Dwayne Russell were awarded other trophies.

Friday 5 June 1981, Collingwood
SA 5.3 8.3 10.8 14.9 93
Qld 0.0 0.2 2.5 6.7 43
Best:
Sanders McIntosh Russell Motley Ragenovich Fioravanti Lalic.
Goals:
Motley 3 McIndoe 3 Irvine 2 Lalic 2 Lamb Hall Duffield Sanders

Sunday 7 June 1981, Glenferrie Oval, Hawthorn
SA 4.6 8.8 10.8 11.11 77
WA 1.4 4.5 7.6 10.7 67
Best:
Fioravanti McGuinness Lamb Hall Motley Hart Russell
Goals:
Lamb 3 McGuinness 2 Hall 2 Motley 2 Martin Noble

Monday 8 June 1981, VFL Park, Waverley
Vic 1.7 2.8 7.8 10.13 73
SA 1.5 7.6 9.6 9.8 62
Best:
Noble Motley Hart O'Connor McGuinness Martin Barilla
Goals
Motley 4 Lamb 2 Hall McGuinness Lalic

I'm pretty sure Motley was Captain as I reckon he wore # 1 from footage I saw of him in the Fox Footy Channel Headliners Doco "The Peter Motley Story."

Kernahan, Bradley, Platten and McDermott must have played in 1980 and Hodson would have been captain that year.

So Adelaide Hawk probably has all the answers.

good thread...some champions on that list

obviously some others also didn't quite advance... barilla,fioranvanti, ragenovich,lalic, odonovan,ryles, duffield, occonor etc etc

Just reading this thread, interesting topic, have got a program of the 1982 Teal Cup Carnival at home will try and find it, and post names of the SA team.

1982 the comp was certainly under 18, and I was under the impression it was always the case.

I can remember with certainty that

Dwayne Russell and Andrew Jarman were part of the 82 team

Three years ago I started a thread on the Port board about the best SA footballer after Mike Sheahan made comments about Ricciuto’s 300th game and that Ricciuto is the best player to come out of SA.

I drew a line in the sand at 1981 at making my list. It represented 25 seasons but more importantly I personally believe that that year heralded a bunch of kids that changed SA footy and elevated it to another level. In June of 1981 SA played Vic in the final of the Teal Cup which I’m pretty sure was an U/17 comp then. It was played at Waverly Park as a preview to the Haw v Col game and 92,900 people turned up. SA was in front by 3 or 4 goals either at ¾ time or early on in the last quarter. The Vics got a run on and the roar of the crowd must have got to the young croweaters and they surrendered their lead and lost by a couple of goals. Imagine being 17 and trying to battle against 92,000+ barracers.

I made the mistake of thinking Bradely, Platten, Kernahan, McDermott, McGuinness, Motley, McIntosh, Peter Krieg were all playing that day.

I'm pretty sure Motley was Captain as I reckon he wore # 1 from footage I saw of him in the Fox Footy Channel Headliners Doco "The Peter Motley Story."

Kernahan, Bradley, Platten and McDermott must have played in 1980 and Hodson would have been captain that year.

hi im rags & played in the 1981 teal cup side peter krieg was captain & darel hart was vice i lasted 15mins on that day at waverley ended with a complete knee reconstruction rucking against paul salmon.if anyone has footage of that day can they contact me as my brother ..... taped over it.

hi im rags, just new at this, and accidently posted a reply to the wrong user. I played in the 1981 teal cup side peter krieg was captain & darel hart was vice i lasted 15mins on that day at waverley ended with a complete knee reconstruction rucking against paul salmon.if anyone has footage of that day can they contact me as my brother ..... taped over it.

Hi Rags, it's Fiva. Long time no see.
You probably remember the nickname, but for others I am the Fioravanti who was lucky enough to be in the team, but never went on to AFL. As others have said, it was a great team with a number of players who have gone on to become household names.
The final against the Vics was obviously a dissappointment for Rags, but also a frustration for me, standing a no-name player at the time, who was a damned good player, by the name of Brereton. I think I was solidly beaten on the day.
Rags if you get the footage please let me know as I have never seen a replay of our 1981 Teal Cup Final.

Just reading this thread, interesting topic, have got a program of the 1982 Teal Cup Carnival at home will try and find it, and post names of the SA team.

1982 the comp was certainly under 18, and I was under the impression it was always the case.

Falkroo, I was captain of QLD Teal Cup team in 1982 and was lucky enough to be named in All Australian side.

It was 100% an U17's competition and not 18's mate.

You are correct that Dwayne Russell payed as he was also in All Australian side. Looking at photo there is no Andrew Jarman but that doesn't mean he didn't play for SA in the carnival.

It was actually held up here in QLD that year so I missed out on an interstate trip unfortunately. Hope that helps a little mate.

I'm pretty sure the last U/17 titles was 1995 as that was the last year it was called the Teal Cup. SA won and 3 Port players that made the All Oz side, Warren Tredrea, Paul Evans he kicked 9 in the GF vs Vic Metro and he was the reason SA won, and Tom Carr. Port having already won the licence to get into the AFL thought they would be in for 1996, paid them all to stay out of the 1995 draft when the AFL said Port wouldnt be in, in 1996. They were all born in 1978 with Tredrea and Evans turning 17 several months after the carnival in late December. All were named in Port's inaugural squad after the end of the 1996 saeson. Evan s and Carr only played 5 or 6 games each. Tredders grew about 8 inches after the carnival. He was named all Oz wingman.

Ok I dug up my old AFL Record Season Guide books that started in 1996 and the 1999 one is the first year they had info on the under 18 championships. From page 372 the opening paragraph says

The first AFL Under 18 National Championship was held in 1996. Before that the National Championships ws conducted at Undr 17 level and was known as the Teal Cup. in 1992 the Championships were separated into two divisions.

So 1992 was the first year Victoria was split into Vic Metro and Vic Country and looks like NSW and ACT merged in 1996.

Last edited:
Falkroo, I was captain of QLD Teal Cup team in 1982 and was lucky enough to be named in All Australian side.

You are correct that Dwayne Russell payed as he was also in All Australian side. Looking at photo there is no Andrew Jarman but that doesn't mean he didn't play for SA in the carnival.

It was actually held up here in QLD that year so I missed out on an interstate trip unfortunately. Hope that helps a little mate.

Mate i’m sure Andrew Jarman played we played them and got thumped by about 30 goals i got a sunburnt mouth watching goals being kicked over my head. Played fullback for a very weak ACT team

hey did you ever find that copy of the 1982 Teal cup comp book if so and you still have it do you reckon you could scan it and send me a copy i played in that comp i remember the book had a yellow cover would bring back memories if not it’s still ok

hey did you ever find that copy of the 1982 Teal cup comp book if so and you still have it do you reckon you could scan it and send me a copy i played in that comp i remember the book had a yellow cover would bring back memories if not it’s still ok
Hey haganm, i'm sure I still have it, it's just a matter of finding it. If I do, i'll definitely get a copy of it to you somehow. I haven't laid eyes on it for a few years now, but it always brought back fond memories. Which state did you play for? I was NSW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Blocker, a bit belated, but well done on the All Aus side, you clearly went ok as a player, and yest U17, Math never was my strong point. Pretty sure that was my first trip to Qld. Just a quirky side note - the family that looked after me for that week, were the Lawries' (i think that's how it was spealt), their son Rod was a gun player for Windsor Zillmere at the time (don't think that side exists anymore), anyway the whole time I was there, Rod and his Mum kept saying that I reminded them of another footballer from several years previously, the day before we came home, Rod produced a photo or critic (can't remember which) of the guy that had stayed with them for a state carnival about 7 years prior...it was actually a cousin of mine, small world.

Hi Falkroo and Andy, just found this website and came across this post. Our Qld captain was a champ and a great leader on and off the field. Found a couple of old clippings with team lists, only a few from Teal Cup '82. Yep..Jars played maybe didn't make All Aust? Good times.

Attachments

• Sth Aust.jpg
    Sth Aust.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 339
  • ACT and NT.jpg
    ACT and NT.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 423
  • NSW.jpg
    NSW.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 290
Hi Falkroo and Andy, just found this website and came across this post. Our Qld captain was a champ and a great leader on and off the field. Found a couple of old clippings with team lists, only a few from Teal Cup '82. Yep..Jars played maybe didn't make All Aust? Good times.
Oh yer...I grew up in Broken Hill, dreamed of playing for SA and played for Qld. I grew up with Rags on this thread. Many years ago since his comment thou

1980 from https://www.footyalmanac.com.au/south-australia-v-queensland-and-nsw-1980-double-dare-ya/

1587390763947.png

State Library SA has a collection of copyrighted photos so I cant post them but they have some teams

South Australian National Football League Under 17 Teal cup team photographed at Woodville Oval on Sunday 1 June 1986. Back Row L-R: D. Richardson, M. Hannam, R. Jameson, P. Ryan, D. Welsby, M. Dittmar, D. Bartsch, R. Pearce, S. Norton, A. Ingerson, G. Hurst, M. Nye (Vice-Captain), B. Harris. Middle Row L-R: T. Obst (Colour Steward), S. Field, M. Wormald, Z. Polyak, A. Skuse, A. Michael, D. Joyce, M. Klose, S. Russell, A. Settre, G. Curtis (Head Trainer). Front Row L-R: Alan Stewart (SANFL Rep.), D. Visser, D. Brown, D. Smart (Captain), R. Kinsman (Manager), D. Hicks (Coach), S. McLean, D. Fotia, G. Keast, D. Schutz (Assistant Coach).

South Australian National Football League Under 17 Teal Cup team, 1989. Back Row L-R: T. Signoriello, T. Lehmann, J. McIntosh, P. Ziemelis, M. McGlashan, P. Chapman, G. Wanganeen, M. Stagg, S. Tape, S. Gepp, P. Morris. Third Row L-R: R. Coleman (Property Steward), P. Rouvray, T. Burns, W. Thornborrow, S. Barron, S. Bennett, D. Poole, B. Chalmers, M. Wakeling, G. Curtis (Head Trainer), G. Pearce (Assistant Coach). Second Row L-R: A. Saliba, B. James, A. Zimmerman (Vice-Captain), R. Brinkworth (Team Manager), K. O'Brien (Captain), A. Stewart (Coach), R. Harrison (Deputy Vice-Captain), M. DiBiase, M. James. Front Row L-R: B. Atkinson, J. Stevens, T. Nunan

Just saw your thread so hope you don’t mind me intruding.

I played state junior footy between 82 and 84 including the Teal Cup in 84 so I knew a lot of opposing players in other states around the country - including SA.

Tim Ginever (very good player could never believe he wasn’t signed and delivered into the VFL or drafted in 86) he was definitely your captain in 83.

Not sure and I could be wrong on this one but have this feeling Robbie Thompson might have been your captain in 84. Stand to be corrected on that one though. He made All Australian that year. Grant Coffee as well.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hey haganm, i'm sure I still have it, it's just a matter of finding it. If I do, i'll definitely get a copy of it to you somehow. I haven't laid eyes on it for a few years now, but it always brought back fond memories. Which state did you play for? I was NSW.
H
hi sorry about the time to reply i was the fullback for the ACT . We had a weak team you guys even beat us by plenty . there were better players playing in the club comp that just didn’t care about trying out for rep footy. Still i had a good comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back