Delisted Ahmed Saad

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahmed Saad will be allowed to train with the Saints from early January. While his ban is not officially over until the 20th of February he can train with us 2 months prior to this date.

Welcome back Saady!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-11/welcome-back-saady-geary

AHMED Saad has been welcomed back at St Kilda with open arms and is poised to burst back onto the AFL scene, defender Jarryn Geary says.

Saad was re-drafted by the Saints in last week's NAB AFL Rookie Draft after last playing AFL football in round 19, 2013.

He is in the final stages of serving an 18-month ban for ingesting a banned substance, which he consumed in a sports drink midway through last year.
While Saad can't officially join in pre-season training until early next year, Geary said he had been warmly welcomed by his teammates.

Last edited:

Gotta love Saad´s commitment to the cause. This is a great article about what he´s had to do to get back to AFL fitness levels and hopefully the standard to play again at the highest level. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-months-in-exile/story-fni5f9q3-1227174129178
I really hope this goes well for him and the Saints. At his best this bloke is electrifying and could be really handy with Billings, Templeton or Lonie if he gets his chance. He seems like a quality bloke and quite an inspiring story from his background and setbacks he has had.
I hope Saints fans really get behind him.

All credit to him.
Looks ripped from the pics too.

Great to see him back and can't wait to see him walk in past the Pyramids, Eiffel Tower etc.

Do you think Saad will play round 1? His fitness is certainly at AFL level, but I think he should have a run for Sandy for a few rounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably should have 1 at sandy to get the match sense.
NAB Cup?

Sounds like he's in ripping shape and ought to be immensely motivated, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes with his 2nd chance. Really glad we picked him up. If nothing else, he will add some excitement and x-factor to our team and hopefully a lot more.

Last edited:
Great commitment by Ahmed ! I was interested to read that he started using the footies a month ago, I'm surprised as he needs to work on his left side skills as that was his major weakness. Teams had worked him out and kept forcing him onto his left which left him ineffective.

Most clubs supporters are obviously extremely biased/loyal towards their own players. And usually like giving a bit of stick to opposition players.
So whether its right or wrong Saad is going to cop a bit of "you drug cheat" from over the other side of the fence. Its stupid , but it will happen you would think.
So when we play the Bombers if Saad is in the team i'll be interested to see how their supporters act.
It would be the worlds worse case of the 'pot calling the kettle black' but i think most Bomber supporters are in total self denial of any wrong doing that they would still give him some boooo's.
That would start of some interesting verbal exchanges amongst Saints & Bomber fans in the crowd.

for the record im not saying he should be jeered. Just that he probably will be at times.
As far as im concerned he did the crime but did massive overs on his time. Good luck to him.

Not so sure snake, I did a straw poll of mates when he was redrafted and 100% of around 15 mates were happy for him that he got another crack.
Dont think it would bother him anyway Brian.
He did a very minor indiscretion and copped a major whack for it.
He has been very professional to keep himself in good enough condition that several clubs were willing to draft him.
Think he'll just be so happy to play again and couldnt give a stuff about a few idiots booing anyway.

I think because the hole essendon saga saad sorta went under the radar. Imagin how much grief and what not him and the saints would have got if it wasn't for the saga.

Most afl fans I speak to feel sorry for saad, that he cops 18 months coz of a energy drink and the bombers nothing (ATM) after taking injections.

There will be the odd flog that will say something but I don't think large numbers will give him a spray.

Great commitment by Ahmed ! I was interested to read that he started using the footies a month ago, I'm surprised as he needs to work on his left side skills as that was his major weakness. Teams had worked him out and kept forcing him onto his left which left him ineffective.

An interesting take. My boy 'Drake' doesn't have this problem, and can play middle as well. Maybe he gets a look in before Saad.

I read an article where he said he didn't need to work on his footy skills. At the time I was disappointed to read this. To only pick up the footy a month ago does not not bode well in increasing his football skills or working on his left foot

Just been reading through the comments left on the Hun article about Saad.
Awesome to see fans from ALL teams pleased to see him get a second chance and saying they will applaud him on his comeback.
He definitely has the respect of the greater AFL community for the way he's handled himself and taken the penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back