Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
You're right we did after all beat Brisbane and Carlton
And hopefully we'll win many more, starting with Geelong next week.
World hasn't ended and we WILL get better, can't see the need for absolute panic at the moment.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely correct the dogs gave gone from rabble to world beaters with a coach who dare I say has instilled belief in the cause rather than blowing out candles at a surprise party or taking a preseason off because we can beat anyone.
McCarthy has always been attributed as a great educator / developer of players . Much like Hird has rode the knights wave , beveridge is riding on the McCarthy wave . Don't be surprised if Alan Richardson is the next gun developer of players, yet not necessarily a great head coach, who gets axed . Melbourne were smart enough stitch McCarthy up straight away, let's hope if richardson gets booted we swoop .

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Walsh - 5 games
Hardwick - 6th year
Beveridge lost his captain and then his best player and he has his team playing like top 4 not not bottom 4 as everyone predicted

My point is unless your team has its best PLAYERS available and they are switched on and have consistancy in effort, motivation, concerntation, preparation, and the experience, fitness, technique and ability.... Coaching is a raffle and even some hack like eddie mcquire could coach his pies on a good day and still get them over the line.

richmond1227

Draftee
Jun 16, 2010
Prahran Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
We have to act quick as a club! Hardwick has lost the players! 2nd game this year Hardwick has been out coached by a team of lesser ability and we have surrendered meekly! I cringe every time i see the Tigers go out to play with a lack of passion. (Watch Port Adelaide play and that`s the level of commitment i want). I have never seen us win a game because of the moves of Hardwick! I have never seen a tough decision made at the selection table which brings urgency to the group. I watched the ch 7 football show this morning and Woosha Worsfold was on it and said he`s ready to coach again if the right fit!! Ticks all the right boxes for me!! Act now, we don`t have time to waste!!

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
We have to act quick as a club! Hardwick has lost the players! 2nd game this year Hardwick has been out coached by a team of lesser ability and we have surrendered meekly! I cringe every time i see the Tigers go out to play with a lack of passion. (Watch Port Adelaide play and that`s the level of commitment i want). I have never seen us win a game because of the moves of Hardwick! I have never seen a tough decision made at the selection table which brings urgency to the group. I watched the ch 7 football show this morning and Woosha Worsfold was on it and said he`s ready to coach again if the right fit!! Ticks all the right boxes for me!! Act now, we don`t have time to waste!!
... is that you Whoosha ?!??

Beveridge lost his captain and then his best player and he has his team playing like top 4 not not bottom 4 as everyone predicted

My point is unless your team has its best PLAYERS available and they are switched on and have consistancy in effort, motivation, concerntation, preparation, and the experience, fitness, technique and ability.... Coaching is a raffle and even some hack like eddie mcquire could coach his pies on a good day and still get them over the line.
This!

So we (RFC BF has so much power ;-)) sack Dimma Monday. Then what? The club has given Dimma a contract for better or for worse. Not saying we necessarily need to honour next year's part of the contract but a move should not be made this year IMO. Those calling him to be sacked immediately are using a 'where's the next messiah' strategy and really clutching at straws. My feeling is the likes of Kenny H and now Luke B looking good has more to do with young players taking the next step quickly and adding a layer of class to whatever asset base the club has rather than anything magical in their approach. We also have a chance to do this too in the form of Lennon, C-Ellis perhaps Menadue and others. I'd not be sacking Dimma however I would be giving him a clear directive that he is to no longer reward plodder players (apart from shielding those not physically ready).

We're feeling so much pain atm for a number of reasons. Top on my list is some high draft picks have not established themselves (eg Conca, Vickery), Dimma and the brainstrust have put repeated faith in too many players with obvious deficiencies particularly shoddy foot skills while trying to build a game plan that requires good footskills, and just at the minute, injuries, amongst other reasons. While sacking to coach now partially addresses this, in particular the game plan, it doesn't solve all the issues and would have a destabilizing effect.

He sees the year out, a stern talking to is required in terms of what he is to do (develop class) and what he is not to do (play proven plodders to get cheap wins against crap teams), a review is done end of year, club is planning coaching contingencies (for next year ) from this point forward to have up their sleeve depending on how rest of the year goes. Club does not sack him Monday.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
This!

So we (RFC BF has so much power ;-)) sack Dimma Monday. Then what? The club has given Dimma a contract for better or for worse. Not saying we necessarily need to honour next year's part of the contract but a move should not be made this year IMO. Those calling him to be sacked immediately are using a 'where's the next messiah' strategy and really clutching at straws. My feeling is the likes of Kenny H and now Luke B looking good has more to do with young players taking the next step quickly and adding a layer of class to whatever asset base the club has rather than anything magical in their approach. We also have a chance to do this too in the form of Lennon, C-Ellis perhaps Menadue and others. I'd not be sacking Dimma however I would be giving him a clear directive that he is to no longer reward plodder players (apart from shielding those not physically ready).

We're feeling so much pain atm for a number of reasons. Top on my list is some high draft picks have not established themselves (eg Conca, Vickery), Dimma and the brainstrust have put repeated faith in too many players with obvious deficiencies particularly shoddy foot skills while trying to build a game plan that requires good footskills, and just at the minute, injuries, amongst other reasons. While sacking to coach now partially addresses this, in particular the game plan, it doesn't solve all the issues and would have a destabilizing effect.

He sees the year out, a stern talking to is required in terms of what he is to do (develop class) and what he is not to do (play proven plodders to get cheap wins against crap teams), a review is done end of year, club is planning coaching contingencies (for next year ) from this point forward to have up their sleeve depending on how rest of the year goes. Club does not sack him Monday.

Has everyone forgot his mantra at the beginning of his tenure?, the jumper will not hit the ground, we will only draft players with good foot skills etc etc etc, well no s**t Sherlock he has thrown those promises out the ducking window in order to get his contract extended.

Can anyone here say the jumper has not hit the ground? Have we draft red players with good foot skills?

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2003
richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
richmond
And hopefully we'll win many more, starting with Geelong next week.
World hasn't ended and we WILL get better, can't see the need for absolute panic at the moment.

So the coach has had 5 years to mould the team but no need for panic after losing to 2 teams that have been in disarray over that same 5 year period? And you are a LFC supporter. So you are used to sticking your head in the sand and accepting a rodgering!

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2003
richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
richmond
McCarthy has always been attributed as a great educator / developer of players . Much like Hird has rode the knights wave , beveridge is riding on the McCarthy wave . Don't be surprised if Alan Richardson is the next gun developer of players, yet not necessarily a great head coach, who gets axed . Melbourne were smart enough stitch McCarthy up straight away, let's hope if richardson gets booted we swoop .
Richardson by all accounts was well respected when he coached Coburg and the club knew him intimately.

But they chose Hardwick over Hinkley over Richardson during that famous "process" they kept bragging about

TheProwler

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2009
Tassie
AFL Club
Richmond
Has everyone forgot his mantra at the beginning of his tenure?, the jumper will not hit the ground, we will only draft players with good foot skills etc etc etc, well no s**t Sherlock he has thrown those promises out the ducking window in order to get his contract extended.

Can anyone here say the jumper has not hit the ground? Have we draft red players with good foot skills?
I must be a complete layman as I never understood at the time and still don't now but what does the jumper will not hit the ground actually mean?

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
So the coach has had 5 years to mould the team but no need for panic after losing to 2 teams that have been in disarray over that same 5 year period? And you are a LFC supporter. So you are used to sticking your head in the sand and accepting a rodgering!
Nope, not at all. :thumbsu:

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I must be a complete layman as I never understood at the time and still don't now but what does the jumper will not hit the ground actually mean?

The Hafey game the jumper hit the ground,against Melbourne Friday night the jumper hit the ground, no effort

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond

Did the jumper hit the ground? When?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond

It's meant to mean that you take so much pride in the jumper that you never just toss it on the ground. Not after a match or after training.

You wear the jumper with so much pride that you'll never dishonour it by even letting it touch the floor... so imagine how much effort you'll put in to honour it when actually playing in it.

TBH it's probably an outdated concept these days.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
It's meant to mean that you take so much pride in the jumper that you never just toss it on the ground. Not after a match or after training.

You wear the jumper with so much pride that you'll never dishonour it by even letting it touch the floor... so imagine how much effort you'll put in to honour it when actually playing in it.

TBH it's probably an outdated concept these days.

For them it's just a job, sometimes you need more

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
Tom Hafey game for one, there were plenty of other times that we have gone without a whimper

Mate, I'm still confused. When I played, towards the very end of my career, this jumper not hitting the ground was a rule. And it literally meant the jumper, in the rooms, was treated as sacrosanct, and never was chucked on the floor after a game.
Point is, if this is what we're talking about, how would any outsider know if the jumper hit the ground? CCTV pick it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back