Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse kept his job for 10 years because he was able to show how he could build a side up in a short amount of time and continue to make GFs.
Buckley is yet to make a gf and looks far from it. Simple.

No he kept his job for ten years because he was full of it and had the Board bluffed.
While your are for sacking Bucks, why not sack the players and start over again?
You choose the personnel and then we can start a sack THATSGOLD thread, because I doubt that you would do much better.
Am I happy that we have lost games that maybe we shouldn't have? No
Am I happy that over the past 3 years we seem to have more injuries than other teams? No, but I don't have the answer as I don't have any medical training so don't know why this is happening. Despite this, we are where we realistically expected to be.
Did we make a mistake in letting senior players leave? No as none of them were picked up by other clubs and have really excelled (excluding trades). Of those that have been picked up Ceglar, Wood, they had their chance and we have picked up young players that may prove to be better.
I will never forget 2011.

Malthouse kept his job ONLY because there was a succession plan - HEAPS of people were calling for his head prior to that.
We won a premiership because we had a stable list with minimal injuries and a game plan that involved outstanding forward pressure, (Bucks was the forward line coach).
Can somebody please close this thread it's ridiculous to be calling for Bucks' head - if we miss finals and bottom out next year, then we can talk.

After winning or flag in 2010, what year was our best chance to win a flag ?

Who was coaching that year ?
Had Malthouse not been so unsettled nearing the end of 2011 we would have won 10,11,12. I have no doubt about that. The unsettling of the him unsettled the whole side. There was even a petition from some of the players to keep him.

Had Malthouse not been so unsettled nearing the end of 2011 we would have won 10,11,12. I have no doubt about that. The unsettling of the him unsettled the whole side. There was even a petition from some of the players to keep him.

You don't think this being "unsettled" might have had something to do with Mark Neeld resigning as defensive line coach half way through the finals series? And Heath Shaw coming off an 8 week suspension for gambling?

You are absolutely right with that one. There were things outside of Malthouse's control that derailed him. I know that I signed a petition to keep Malthouse and we were all looking to see if there were Collingwood players names on it but evidently they did their own...

You have dodged the question. Which year was our best chance ?

On a side note, during the 2009 season, after 9 years of being close but not good enough, did you want to re-sign Malthouse for another 3 years ? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. A liberty I believe you excel at. I'll be interested in your response.

Last edited:
MM F--- us completely in 2011,with the players we had then and the form they showed that season we could have won even allowing for Geelong.

I never understand how we had to be ready to go from the pre season cup onwards,you have to be peaking at the right time and everybody has to be on the same page we were not and it is as simple as that.

Geelong rested players during the season we did not and we suffered for it someone said in an earlier post that Malthouse should have got the arse after TFS they were right and in the end it would not have made a difference to our flag hopes because they were gone by the Lions match anyway.

It is so hard to win a flag anyway but no chance if we are not all pulling in the same direction in future years we will look back on 2011 as dreadful year much like 1992.

I myself do not want MM anywhere near the club at any time in the future,what I cannot get my head round is if MM had won in 2011 Buckley would not have been coaching in 2012 that is for sure.

MM F--- us completely in 2011,with the players we had then and the form they showed that season we could have won even allowing for Geelong.

I never understand how we had to be ready to go from the pre season cup onwards,you have to be peaking at the right time and everybody has to be on the same page we were not and it is as simple as that.

Geelong rested players during the season we did not and we suffered for it someone said in an earlier post that Malthouse should have got the arse after TFS they were right and in the end it would not have made a difference to our flag hopes because they were gone by the Lions match anyway.

It is so hard to win a flag anyway but no chance if we are not all pulling in the same direction in future years we will look back on 2011 as dreadful year much like 1992.

I myself do not want MM anywhere near the club at any time in the future,what I cannot get my head round is if MM had won in 2011 Buckley would not have been coaching in 2012 that is for sure.
That's crap, we won the 2011 nab cup without hardly lifting a finger. We were one the best sides I've seen. Didak didn't even play untill the Grand Final, that's how much better we were.
Then on to 2011 sitting on top of the ladder with a winning streak that was a record and a % I've never seen from any side in all my time watching footy.
So then enter Mick on the footy show, claiming that was his team and he did not want to stop coaching us.
We didn't fix it we stuffed it up keeping up the Buckley saga that he will be taking over one the greatest sides I've seen.
We stuffed it right up. No two ways about that. It cost us 2011 and I believe it cost us 2012 with Buckley changing too much of the great way we played. We were the detroyers.

That's crap, we won the 2011 nab cup without hardly lifting a finger. We were one the best sides I've seen. Didak didn't even play untill the Grand Final, that's how much better we were.
Then on to 2011 sitting on top of the ladder with a winning streak that was a record and a % I've never seen from any side in all my time watching footy.
So then enter Mick on the footy show, claiming that was his team and he did not want to stop coaching us.
We didn't fix it we stuffed it up keeping up the Buckley saga that he will be taking over one the greatest sides I've seen.
We stuffed it right up. No two ways about that. It cost us 2011 and I believe it cost us 2012 with Buckley changing too much of the great way we played. We were the detroyers.

Give it a rest FFS.

On a side note, during the 2009 season, after 9 years of being close but not good enough, did you want to re-sign Malthouse for another 3 years ? Hindsight is a wonderful. A liberty I believe you excel at. I'll be interested in your response.

We were at the peak of our powers the day we killed North Melbourne by the record 110+ points in the wet on the MCG so I'd say we flying half way though what would've been the 10,11,12 dynasty.
I've never seen a team greatest than the one than ran out that day in the wet. The skills on display in the wet were the best I've ever seen.

On a side note, during the 2009 season, after 9 years of being close but not good enough, did you want to re-sign Malthouse for another 3 years ? Hindsight is a wonderful. A liberty I believe you excel at. I'll be interested in your response.

We were at the peak of our powers the day we killed North Melbourne by the record 110+ points in the wet on the MCG in 2011 about half way in to the season, so I'd say we flying half way though what would've been the 10,11,12 dynasty.
I've never seen a team greater than the one than ran out that day in the wet. The skills on display in the wet were the best I've ever seen.

You're not using the Nab cup as an argument, are you? :oops:

Who played in the 2013 nab cup final? That's right, Brisbane and Carlton. How are they faring right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"So then enter Mick on the footy show, claiming that was his team and he did not want to stop coaching us".

Correct, he reneged on the deal; you have finally acknowledged the problem!!

You're not using the Nab cup as an argument, are you? :oops:

Who played in the 2013 nab cup final? That's right, Brisbane and Carlton. How are they faring right now?
I responding to someone that said that winning the nab cup stuffed us up. Can you read the posts I'm replying to first.

You are absolutely right with that one. There were things outside of Malthouse's control that derailed him. I know that I signed a petition to keep Malthouse and we were all looking to see if there were Collingwood players names on it but evidently they did their own...
I believe that there was never a petition however if you can prove otherwise I would like to see evidence of that. (Not the book written by Chrissy either).

"So then enter Mick on the footy show, claiming that was his team and he did not want to stop coaching us".

Correct, he reneged on the deal; you have finally acknowledged the problem!!
You don't sack a guy that's so successful and has the support of the players when you are flying. It's that simple really.

But your reply didn't actually answer the post. We burnt out in 2011. Winning the nab cup didn't really help us.
Didn't hurt us. Got a trophy in the cabinet without lifting a finger. One day a night trophy in the space of 6 months.
No sign of a premiership hangover that's the biggest understatement.

Didn't hurt us. Got a trophy in the cabinet without lifting a finger. One day a night trophy in the space of 6 months.
What good did it do us though? Did we need to convince everyone else that we were any good?

It's impossible to go full throttle for the entire year...you need to peak at the right time. Port are finding this out right now. The way we came out all guns blazing in 2011 was in hindsight harmful to our chances and our performances in August/September show this

You don't sack a guy that's so successful and has the support of the players when you are flying. It's that simple really.
He wasn't sacked, he was re-deployed, (by mutual agreement between 3 parties).
We were flying until he had a change of heart and in typical Mick ego-centric fashion, (nothing has changed since) made it all about him.

Mick's shyness in not expressing his true feelings at the time of agreeing to the succession plan ultimately cost him his job and negatively impacted the team. Got to feel for a guy who's been battling such demons for thirty years and still managed to overcome these fears every time he had a microphone thrust into his presence.

What good did it do us though? Did we need to convince everyone else that we were any good?

It's impossible to go full throttle for the entire year...you need to peak at the right time. Port are finding this out right now. The way we came out all guns blazing in 2011 was in hindsight harmful to our chances and our performances in August/September show this
Without lifting a finger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
We have lost a heap of experienced players since our win in 2010.
I can't see how anyone can try to compare our current side with the Premiership side, or even the 2011 side.
It will be interesting how the Hawks and Cats go when they lose their aging players.

Cats:
Enright, Bartell, Johnson, Kelly, Lonergan, Mackie, Stokes, Rivers, Macintosh, will all be 30 or over at the end of this year.

Hawks:
Lake, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell, Gibson, Hale, Hodge will all be 30 or over at the end of this season.

We have Hudson, Lynch, Maxwell, Ball and Swan in that bracket at the moment.
Out of our 5, Two were never going to realistically play senior footy this year, 1 has retired and one has been playing with an injury for most of the season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back