#Sackwatch - Poll Updated!!!

Who will be the first EPL manager sacked this season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Liverpool also had a great run with injuries and no European football in 2013-14 (as well as going out early in both domestic cups) which gave them an advantage over the other few contenders.

Far from a gear run of injuries that season. Long term injuries suffered by Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard & Sakho. At one stage we had the entire back 4 out for a whole month.

84 points was a fantastic effort under the circumstances.

Fat Sam would put a rocket up them

They're massive underperformers imo, they've spent solid money over the years, yet they're always relegation battlers, Sam would demand competence and consistency, even though he's a bit old school with his direct style of play.

It really makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Sunderland weren't going to go for him whilst Congerton was there, but he's buggered off now as well. Sam gets to go back to the North East and would love putting it over Newcastle at the Derbies as well.

I don't think he's going to get a better opportunity for a Premier League job then that one really. And he's bring a lot of discipline and structure to that club, although Di Canio tried the same sort of same thing, albeit on a stricter scale and got run out pretty quickly.

Sean Dyche and Nigel Pearson are the other 2 candidates getting mentioned as favourites also.

In terms of Liverpool, the Rodgers decision isn't really a surprise. When we beat em 3-0 about a month ago, that was pretty much the end for him, unless they suddenly won 4 in a row or something, which was never going to happen.

I actually wonder if Klopp turns it down in the hope of getting something bigger in the next off-season. And I don't mean that to offend Liverpool supporters who'd argue that they're still a big club etc. But he might want to hold out for a team that's got guaranteed Champions League Football, which is always going to be an issue for Liverpool at the moment. And I know when West Ham approached him in the off-season he said he would wait until January at the earliest to get back into management, so we'll wait and see I suppose.

Far from a gear run of injuries that season. Long term injuries suffered by Sturridge, Coutinho, Gerrard & Sakho. At one stage we had the entire back 4 out for a whole month.

84 points was a fantastic effort under the circumstances.
Sturridge 29 League Appearances
Suarez 33 (5 games missed were through suspension, ever-present otherwise)
Gerrard 34
Coutinho 33
Henderson 35
Sterling 33
Skrtel 36

Key players all playing the majority of the season

Sakho missed a few games but compared to the other clubs you had a dream run which contributed to 2nd place.

Last edited:
He didn't get us there on his own; you can't do that in a game where a team is comprised of 11 players; but he was absolutely instrumental, the driving force, the central figure that made it all work, or whatever metaphor you want to use. His mere presence was enough to scare the opposition, force them to adjust their tactics etc.

Rodgers deserves credit for finding a system that got the most out of Suarez and then players like Sturridge and Gerrard.

But without Suarez's otherworldly season, we don't have anywhere close to the season we did.

Sturridge 29 League Appearances
Suarez 33 (5 games missed were through suspension, ever-present otherwise)
Gerrard 34
Coutinho 33
Henderson 35
Sterling 33
Skrtel 36

Key players all playing the majority of the season

Sakho missed a few games but compared to the other clubs you had a dream run which contributed to 2nd place.

From memory, most of those injuries/suspensions were in the first half of the season.

During the period where we really struck lightning in the second half of the campaign, we had the luxury of being able to field an unchanged team from week to week. It was only when Henderson was sent off at the end of the Man City game (the fourth-last game of the season) that the team's continuity was disrupted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What tactical input? "Give the ball to Suarez" ?

Coutinho and Sturridge are still at the club, yet Liverpool have been bog average since the day Suarez was sold.

Rodgers got lucky and has since been shown that he isn't good enough to be a top manager. He's blow millions of pounds on countless players and hasn't been close to getting anywhere near the same results.

A career win rate of 44% doesn't hint at a tactical genius.

So what do you think we were doing in the 2 seasons before 2013/14 when Suarez was also at the club, but we were nowhere near challenging for the league? "Give the ball to Suarez" didn't seem to be too effective then. 2012/13 in particular when he hit 30 goals and we still finished 7th, almost 30 points off United in 1st. As I said, Suarez playing well was certainly a huge factor in our success in 2013/14 but clearly by itself wasn't even close to being sufficient to put us in the title race.

Rodgers got lucky? Please. You might win a 10 game knockout cup competition by being 'lucky', but there's nothing lucky about scoring 100+ goals and accruing 84 points over a 38 game season.

He's performed extremely poorly since March, and can have no complaints about yesterday's decision because he was obviously backed by the owners who brought quality players in for him over the summer, replaced the support staff etc, and he's fallen well short of expectation. But to say his tactical input had no influence on our success in the 2013/14 season is revisionism and completely untrue. We had a lot of factors in our favour (as any side needs if they're hoping to challenge for the league), and Rodgers was certainly one of them.

Why can't Liverpool fans admit Suarez got them there?

Did Henry win you the 2004 PL by himself? Individually his season was arguably better than Suarez's 2013/14 season, did Wenger just ride Henry's coat tails?

No one player can win a Premier League title by themselves. This isn't the NBA.

#CFC confirm that manager Jose Mourinho "continues to have our full support"

the dreaded backing from the board
:-( Mourihno is gone, amazing what men will do over a women. Once Eva went, and these subs on the weekend, his lost the dressing room.

Last edited:
They pretty much stated his loss the dressing room since Evas sacking, and the subs at weekend didnt help, and the humiliation of John Terry against City in round 2 caused him to lose half the dressing room.

I think Rodgers has to take some credit for 13/14. It was a perfect storm for him, but he found (stumbled across?) a good system that got the best out of the players at the club at the time.

A lot of them had breakout years and the manager has to take some credit for that.

I don't know there was the great tactical revolution Rodgers liked to make out. And said at the time a lot of clubs played into Liverpools hands.

Jose showed the way and save a few months last season it's been a bit of a dogs breakfast since.

Teams parked the bus throughout the whole season in 13/14, many got beat anyway. Don't subscribe to the view that Mourinho was the first one to do it and got something, he relied on a Gerrard slip

Rodgers himself have admitted that he made compromises in his philosophy to bring the best outta the individual brilliance of Suarez and Sturridge, which worked beautifully, and he should be credited hugely for that. Once those guys aren't around, his own original brand of philosophy doesn't seem to be good enough

I think Rodgers has to take some credit for 13/14. It was a perfect storm for him, but he found (stumbled across?) a good system that got the best out of the players at the club at the time.

A lot of them had breakout years and the manager has to take some credit for that.

I don't know there was the great tactical revolution Rodgers liked to make out. And said at the time a lot of clubs played into Liverpools hands.

Jose showed the way and save a few months last season it's been a bit of a dogs breakfast since.
Pretty much sums it up for me.

He did well with Suarez in the team, Sturridge having his least injury affected season (amongst others) and no european football, but since Suarez has left and having to deal with extra fixtures (that the rest of the top 4 deal with every season) he has been found out to be a bit of a one trick manager tactically, and pretty poor in terms of transfers.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

He did well with Suarez in the team, Sturridge having his least injury affected season (amongst others) and no european football, but since Suarez has left and having to deal with extra fixtures (that the rest of the top 4 deal with every season) he has been found out to be a bit of a one trick manager tactically, and pretty poor in terms of transfers.

Pretty much any manager would struggle for a bit after losing 53 goals worth of striking power at once.

Problem with Liverpool was made same mistake as Tottenham. Instead of quality signing or two, you sold your best player and brought a quantity of players. Its disruption caused the chemistry on the field to go sour.

Back