Sacramento Kings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem was that all the PFs were not the ones that fit what we need. I think vonleh is overrated and something about him always stank to me. When you get a guy of that athletic ability and size but he does not use it and prefers to hang around the perimeter. It stinks!

Stauskas is going to be a good player. Not a star but a good player. I would be worried if I am ben McLemore. Stauskas is a great shooter, a good ball handler wo can creat for himself and others and has a high basketball IQ. An underrated athlete. Defensively he will struggle and hope is that in a couple of years he becomes a solid defender like Peja did but overall I don't mind the pick!

Its certainly not great that we spend a top 10 pick on a SG two drafts in a row but that is more of reflection on Ben McLemore's lack of production than anythink else.

I don't mind the pick! I would LOVE it if we still had Tyreke over McLemore but its still a solid pick for us. Now if you tell me we can somehow trade McLemore for Payton, I would be flat out excided with the prospect of Payton-Stauskas backcourt in the future.

PG abd shotblocking PF must be addressed in the free agency and trade before the training camp

I didn't expect Vonleh to drop so much but my call was always for a Smart or Randle selection and if that fails trade down for Payton. Having said all that the idea of surrounding Cousins with shooters is pretty attractive so we shall see what pans out with Nik Stauskas!

Have to say that I am loving this report especially since what transpired inthe draft!

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-shaun-livingston-to-be-starting-point-guard/

Livingston is one guys I think improves us on both sides of the ball. His biggest issue is that he cannot shoot the spot up 3s which would be ideal. But even without that he would improve the team on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, he is a long pass 1st PG who does not need the shots to impact games. He is the guy that can set up his team mates (Cousins and Rudy) with his entry passes over the defence and shooters with his slashing ability. He can also play off the ball as a cutter to the hoop. As mentioned in a perfect world, he has a spot up 3 but he doesn't so you live with that. He also meshes well with either Stauskas or McLemore in the starting unit and would play well with IT (if we keep him) against the second unit.

Defensively, he is a very good defender that can guard multiple positions at a high level. Last season in brooklyn he defended 1-3. This allows us to even at times play Livingston-McLemore-Stauskas at the same time in certain situations as he can defend SFs. Even if we keep IT as a 6th man, he could play with him, cover for him on the perimeter and provide some much needed ball handling support.

I really think this guy would be a great fit for our team and would come relatively cheap. He would also be looking for some stability and improved longer term salary (3 years as opposed to yearly vet minimums). He is one guy that gels that IT, McLemore and Stauskas trio and his ability to guard multiple positions and set up other without chewing up shots would be much needed asset othis team.

We also desperately need to get that defensive shot blocker at PF. Josh Smith has been mentioned which I am not thrilled about but considering what was the proposed deal, you make that trade without thinking. At least he is a proven player and if you can convince him not to take stupid 3s like Hawks managed that one season he is an intriguiging fit, even at that salary and even if he is a bit undersized for a PF in the west. If Sanders wasn't a knucklehead, I would like that move more!

Have to say that I am loving this report especially since what transpired inthe draft!

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-shaun-livingston-to-be-starting-point-guard/

Livingston is one guys I think improves us on both sides of the ball. His biggest issue is that he cannot shoot the spot up 3s which would be ideal. But even without that he would improve the team on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, he is a long pass 1st PG who does not need the shots to impact games. He is the guy that can set up his team mates (Cousins and Rudy) with his entry passes over the defence and shooters with his slashing ability. He can also play off the ball as a cutter to the hoop. As mentioned in a perfect world, he has a spot up 3 but he doesn't so you live with that. He also meshes well with either Stauskas or McLemore in the starting unit and would play well with IT (if we keep him) against the second unit.

Defensively, he is a very good defender that can guard multiple positions at a high level. Last season in brooklyn he defended 1-3. This allows us to even at times play Livingston-McLemore-Stauskas at the same time in certain situations as he can defend SFs. Even if we keep IT as a 6th man, he could play with him, cover for him on the perimeter and provide some much needed ball handling support.

I really think this guy would be a great fit for our team and would come relatively cheap. He would also be looking for some stability and improved longer term salary (3 years as opposed to yearly vet minimums). He is one guy that gels that IT, McLemore and Stauskas trio and his ability to guard multiple positions and set up other without chewing up shots would be much needed asset othis team.

We also desperately need to get that defensive shot blocker at PF. Josh Smith has been mentioned which I am not thrilled about but considering what was the proposed deal, you make that trade without thinking. At least he is a proven player and if you can convince him not to take stupid 3s like Hawks managed that one season he is an intriguiging fit, even at that salary and even if he is a bit undersized for a PF in the west. If Sanders wasn't a knucklehead, I would like that move more!

Well explained!

John Henson?

Well explained!

John Henson?
While already a very good shot blocker, he is not really an interior defensive anchor this team desperately needs. He has the tools to be that in time. I would take him regardless but he might not be an immediate impact guy we desperately need but probably better than anything we have. The question is how patient are we?!

While already a very good shot blocker, he is not really an interior defensive anchor this team desperately needs. He has the tools to be that in time. I would take him regardless but he might not be an immediate impact guy we desperately need but probably better than anything we have. The question is how patient are we?!

I'm willing to be patient to be contenders.

I'm willing to be patient to be contenders.
I agree to a degree but we are running out of time. Cousins and Gay will not stick around forever and if you don't start putting a good, winning team around them relatively quickly, they will bolt and you are back to square one!

I think we need proven vets who give us an instant boost but a young enough to stick around for a while. However, since shotblocking PFs are one of the hardest types of players to find, I am willing to be more patient with that position than any other on the court.

I still get this feeling we will trade for Smith. I agree with D'Alessando on one thing....we need players and sometimes we need to swing for the fences and trade for players when their value is at an all time low and hope we turn them around. It worked really well with Rudy and I suspect we are thinking similarly with Josh Smith.

He had a terrible season at Detroit playing a lot of SF and jacking up 3s. He still has 3 years left at some $13-14m per season. Landry has another 3 years left at $6.75m per season. Thompson (whom I don't mind as a primary big back up) has 3 years on some $6.5m with the final year only being a partial guarantee. Then there is Jet with $5.45m expiring deal and Derrick William's $6.7m expiring deal. If any of those get traded for Smith, none are in the long term plans and Smith is still the best, most productive players out of that lot. I would take a punt and hope it works. If it doesn't, well we are not much worse off than we are now! :p

If Sanders was not such a knuckle head, he would be a perfect fit next to Cousins!

I agree to a degree but we are running out of time. Cousins and Gay will not stick around forever and if you don't start putting a good, winning team around them relatively quickly, they will bolt and you are back to square one!

I think we need proven vets who give us an instant boost but a young enough to stick around for a while. However, since shotblocking PFs are one of the hardest types of players to find, I am willing to be more patient with that position than any other on the court.

I still get this feeling we will trade for Smith. I agree with D'Alessando on one thing....we need players and sometimes we need to swing for the fences and trade for players when their value is at an all time low and hope we turn them around. It worked really well with Rudy and I suspect we are thinking similarly with Josh Smith.

He had a terrible season at Detroit playing a lot of SF and jacking up 3s. He still has 3 years left at some $13-14m per season. Landry has another 3 years left at $6.75m per season. Thompson (whom I don't mind as a primary big back up) has 3 years on some $6.5m with the final year only being a partial guarantee. Then there is Jet with $5.45m expiring deal and Derrick William's $6.7m expiring deal. If any of those get traded for Smith, none are in the long term plans and Smith is still the best, most productive players out of that lot. I would take a punt and hope it works. If it doesn't, well we are not much worse off than we are now! :p

If Sanders was not such a knuckle head, he would be a perfect fit next to Cousins!

Yeah I'm of the opinion that although the trade fell through just before the draft, talks will strike up again and a trade will happen. I'd say we would just prefer to wait and figure the Monroe situation out before we trade Smith, because if someone offers him the max maybe we'd rather S & T Monroe and keep Smith.

Yeah I'm of the opinion that although the trade fell through just before the draft, talks will strike up again and a trade will happen. I'd say we would just prefer to wait and figure the Monroe situation out before we trade Smith, because if someone offers him the max maybe we'd rather S & T Monroe and keep Smith.
I think we are also waiting to see how things pan out with Thomas and other players we are looking in free agency

After a fair bit of research into Nik Stauskus, I'm happy to have him for at worst insurance for Mclemore. Very smart, driven and most importantly can play his role creatively to a tee.

I'm on the bandwagon (or starting it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Pistons actually sign IT for the reported 3/24 I think there is no way we match that and it could pave way for IT for Smith sign and trade.

I like a lot of things that Smith brings but he is undersized at PF especially in the west where he would be lining up against the likes of Davis, Aldridge, Randolph, Love, Dirk, Duncan, maybe Gasol again and so on. Much taller and much more difficult to counter than largely a selection of tweeners in the East. Its still someone you take a chance on especially if IT is no longer around.

I see we contacted Shaun Livingston when the free agency opened. Would LOVE that signing for us and I think Sacramento would be good for him as well.

After a fair bit of research into Nik Stauskus, I'm happy to have him for at worst insurance for Mclemore. Very smart, driven and most importantly can play his role creatively to a tee.

I'm on the bandwagon (or starting it)
Mate, he is already better than McLemore. Other than athleticism and pretty jump shot, McLemore has nothing else. Stauskas can shoot (catch and shoot, coming off screens or firing it off the dribble). He has the handles that McLemore can only hope for. He is a better passer and creator for others. Better basketball IQ as well. You can run pick and rolls with Stauskas and Cousins. You cannot do any of those things with McLemore. The absolute best hope for McLemore is to develop into a 3 and D player but with his basketball IQ I am not convinced that the D part will come easy either.

Mate, he is already better than McLemore. Other than athleticism and pretty jump shot, McLemore has nothing else. Stauskas can shoot (catch and shoot, coming off screens or firing it off the dribble). He has the handles that McLemore can only hope for. He is a better passer and creator for others. Better basketball IQ as well. You can run pick and rolls with Stauskas and Cousins. You cannot do any of those things with McLemore. The absolute best hope for McLemore is to develop into a 3 and D player but with his basketball IQ I am not convinced that the D part will come easy either.
McLemore can be a terror in transition and will always be dependable from outside.
I agree that he could be a better defender, but with someone like Livingston helping him in the backcourt on defence instead of I.T plus maturity he should be able to develop into a solid two-way player.
It's his bball I.Q as you said that needs improvement the most.

Stauskas sounds like a Lithuanian name to me, and them folks can 'ball.

Josh Smith scares me - as one of the few viable trade options for Eric Gordon, I've been trying to gauge the mood in Detroit. Everything I've read from Detroit in the last year said his defense sucked... really bad concentration levels.

McLemore can be a terror in transition and will always be dependable from outside.
I agree that he could be a better defender, but with someone like Livingston helping him in the backcourt on defence instead of I.T plus maturity he should be able to develop into a solid two-way player.
It's his bball I.Q as you said that needs improvement the most.
Anyone can get out in transition and cherry pick. I look at it differently. In the play offs when defences oick up a notch or two it becomes a tough slog in a half court. Teansition means SFA at that stage. This is where McLemore struggles. You know that I have not been a fan of this kid since i saw him in summer league last year and he has continued to stink it up in the season proper and was statistically one of the worst SGs in the league. He has a LONG LONG way to go to become dependable. If he can help me get a proven vet, I am pulling the trigger without even blinking.

Stauskas sounds like a Lithuanian name to me, and them folks can 'ball.

Josh Smith scares me - as one of the few viable trade options for Eric Gordon, I've been trying to gauge the mood in Detroit. Everything I've read from Detroit in the last year said his defense sucked... really bad concentration levels.
Stauskas is Lithuanian, born in Canada. As you say, those guys can ball. They have a rich basketball history.

J Smoove scares me too but what the hell do we have to lose. Whoever gets him is hoping that you can get him back to his Atlanta days. Is it the way he was getting used? Was it the questionable environment at the Pistons? Was it a case of getting his payday and mailing it in? A case of slowing down? Thise are all valid questions.

I do know that other than shoot 3s, the guys can do a bit of everything out there. He can pass, can dribble, can rebound, can score, can block shots, can rack up the steals. I think it might be a case of how he was used. A bit similar to Rudy Gay in Toronto. He was aksed to be #1 option and carry the load and create. He is not that type of player but lower his usage rate and use him in the spots where he is most effective and you get a borderline all-star SF. I suspect that our line of thinking would be the same with Josh. Played a lot of SF at Detroit which is not his best position. Asked to carry more of the scoring load than he should be. What would he be like as a 3rd option playing off one of the best young Cs in the league and off Rudy Gay, both of whom command double teams?! I think he would be a lot more productive than in Detroit and just might be back to his best.

For Kings he solidifes a troublesome position. He adds some much neede shot blocking and interior defense and he also improves the passing. Those are the things we are lacking in. I can see the intrigue but he scares me to a degree. With Rudy Gay it was a case of if it work out great, if not we get a huge expiring in 2015. With Smith, if it works out great! If it fails you have 3 years to put up with that s**t and a slary of $13.5 million per season....ouch!

Disappointed that we missed out on Livingston! I am calling it early but get ready for a return of a lock down defender

greivis_vasquez_vs_clips.jpg

Loos like you guys are going back to glory days in at least one way...

Dunno what to think of the Collison signing for you... excellent back-up point guard, not so great as a starting point guard. From memory he really struggled with passing and initiating the offence in both Indy and Dallas.. both teams who utilise the post in half court sets a lot.

If you re-signed IT, having a Thomas/Collison/Stauskas three guard rotation might be interesting - lots of ball-handling and playmaking there (not much D tho)

Seeing Collison and Livingston being paid $5 million apiece though, I would just have bitten the bullet and paid Thomas $8 million, that's me though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back