Sacramento Kings Thread

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
image.jpg

Golden 1 Centre starting to take shape.

We're enigmatic, but getting Cousins and Collison back to consistent play should really even the ledger imo. Gay to a lesser extent too.

Rondo has been more than we could have hoped for, and with McLemore being far more aggressive and a two way wing our starting five looks infinitely better than it did in the opening home stretch when it was a Cousins/Gay iso nightmare.
Bellinelli, Cassipi and Koufos are a solid group of bench players and they're contributing 30-40 points a night so if they're going to play D like they did in the last quarter tonight in Milwaukee what more can you ask. Cassipi particularly has quietly improved his three point shot to fantastic levels, still takes defenders off the dribble too much for my liking though.
WCS will be up and down all year, he was good today with his help defence and that's about the only thing you can constantly rely on. His blocked shot on Monroe in a one-on-one late in the 4th and consequent sprint down the court for the dunk/foul was beautiful though. He needs more minutes when Cousins is out.

That's about it really, Acy, Curry, Anderson, Moreland. Sparingly used, all shown glimpses. Our nine man unit is definitely capable though.
Offensively I feel like we're really starting to gel as Rondo gets used to his new teammates, defensively some of our half court set ups still have me tearing my hair out. Hopefully that improves with continuity because we'll be anchored in that 11th-13th range in the West without it being tightened up.

We expected a hell of a ride and so far the hype has been met, I'm hooked on this team and I love it.

I feel like we are one decent shooting guard away from being a playoff team. This is why Wesley Matthews would've been a perfect addition had he agreed to come to the Kings last season. He's good at both ends on the floor.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
I feel like we are one decent shooting guard away from being a playoff team. This is why Wesley Matthews would've been a perfect addition had he agreed to come to the Kings last season. He's good at both ends on the floor.
Defensive intensity and turnovers away from being a playoff team I think, unfortunately we're awful most of the time at both and it's what has cost us games since Malone was in charge last season. With consistent rotations and maybe a good win or two I could see us hauling ourselves back to .500
A crucial couple of weeks coming up, we should really look to comfortably account for the Wolves saturday with the Warriors the next day in Oracle a near impossible task.

Defensive intensity and turnovers away from being a playoff team I think, unfortunately we're awful most of the time at both and it's what has cost us games since Malone was in charge last season. With consistent rotations and maybe a good win or two I could see us hauling ourselves back to .500
A crucial couple of weeks coming up, we should really look to comfortably account for the Wolves saturday with the Warriors the next day in Oracle a near impossible task.

I'd love to see WCS start the game ahead of Koufos to fast track his development. WCS is excellent down-low and is an efficient scorer inside the paint area and he's not a bad defender/shot blocker either. He seems to work better alongside Cousins on the court then what Koufos does.

I was looking at the Standings before. If only we had taken care of Charlotte we would currently be sitting just percentage behind the Utah Jazz who are in 6th spot. It's losses like that that do my head in. You think back to last season we had three games where we led by 20+ points and lost, (Memphis, Mavericks, Wizards). We should've beaten Charlotte a few days ago, likewise that opening game of the season against the Clippers, then the second meeting against the Clippers a few days later we were also in a winning position both times during the last quarter only to throw it away. We could easily be 9 wins - 7 losses right now and sitting in 6th or 7th spot in the Western Conference. There's still plenty of time for us to make up that lost ground.

Only a couple of wins separating Utah and the Kings in the Western Conference standings. That 7th and 8th seed is still up for crabs at this stage despite the way we are playing. Looking at the way the Rockets are traveling right now, the Pelicans slow start to the season, Phoenix's inconsistency, Clippers badly out of form, Minnesota with a young developing roster that might not be able to sustain that form for a full season, it's not entirely impossible for the Kings to sneak into that 8th spot if we can nab some wins against the teams in our division.

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Watched today's game and was plesantly suprised with how we shared the ball and were able to score even though Cousins was quiet (scored 23 points but wasn't seen much that way, more rebounding and passing). What was really suprising was the amount of times rondo/Collison and Cousins ran the pick and roll around the 3 point line and after running the defender into Cousins, swung the ball to the off side to McLemore/Casspi/Bellinelli. Usually in games past, the ball would be given back to Cousins to take a jump shot from the top of the key but not today. I can only remember it happening a handful of times. If those wing players including Gay can hit consistently from the outside when open, they will push the teams that have been forecasted to finish higher than them. They also played good team defence, switching on screens then rushing to cover the open shooter. It was really quiet impressive to see them play defence like this compared to that game in Mexico where it was non-existent.

On a lighter note, my sister in law's (teacher) high school music class sang the National Anthem before the game. So had plenty of extra family at today's game and about 25 videos of it sent!

The Kings have snapped a seven game losing streak against the Rockets to defeat them 107-97 at home for the first time since January 1 2014. The game was very scrappy right from the opening tip off. The Kings committed 28 turnovers and were sloppy with the ball that led to a number of easy baskets for the Rockets.

We got off to a 11-2 start early during the game but some sloppy passes saw the Kings good work go undone when the Rockets went on a 22-4 run in that first quarter. Omri Casspi was good and Darren Collison did an excellent job in the absence of Rajon Rondo. Three Kings achieved the double-double. It was the Kings three point shooting that did the damage in this game shooting 45.8% from three point range. Rudy Gay put on a good performance and also had a career high 6 steals. DeMarcus Cousins started the game well and was doing damage down-low against Dwight Howard who was beaten. It was a fairly tight game heading into the fourth quarter until Marco Belinelli made 3 three point shots that gave the Kings some breathing space which put us up by 16 points which the Rockets were never able to recover.

Starting line-up
Collison: 14 points - 7 rebounds - 13 assists - 1 steal
McLemore: 8 points - 2 assists - 2 steals
Casspi: 19 points - 6 rebounds - 6 assists - 2 steals - 3 of 4 from three point range
Gay: 17 points - 13 rebounds - 3 assists - 6 steals - 1 block
DMC: 26 points - 12 rebounds - 2 steals - 1 block

Bench
Belinelli: 9 points - 2 rebounds - 1 assist
Koufos: 8 points - 6 rebounds - 1 block
Curry: 6 points - 1 rebound

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Just booked my tickets to return to sacramento for two months next year (June & July) to see in laws. Unless the kings can make the finals I will miss seeing them.

However, am trying to twist wife's arm to come with me to the NBA Draft in NY on the 23rd June, so I can see Ben Simmons be drafted No.1. If not, may get father in law to come with me or go it alone! Will have to see when tickets go on sale and see who's interested in coming.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Huge game against Portland coming up at home, we need to build on strong wins like the one in Indiana by beating teams on our level at home.
With Golden State in Oakland the next day too it's imperative we put the Blazers away, consistency defensively is our biggest downfall and they can light us up if we slack off on the perimeter as has been habit all season.

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Been arguing with some dudes over a Kingsfans

I personally think Cousins is out of shape. Whether it be the recent injuries or whatever, he looks 10 pounds of fat too heavy and it has shown in his performance and play. Some want to blame it on Karl's gameplan but that's just not the case. Cousins has taken plenty of high quality, inside looks. He's just not been making them due to poor fitness. The 3pt shot has been overemphasized by some people. At most it was 4 of 19 shots a game, essentially just some of his long two's from past, extended to 23 feet. Even at a 31% clip from deep, it's a more efficient shot than his career best 42% from the midrange. He is also experiencing career best free throw numbers, which kind of puts the final nail in the coffin for the 3pt negative agenda. Do I believe it should be a focus? Not exactly. From the start I advocated 2-3 threes a game. For the purpose of facilitating his inside game. 2-3 shots out of 19 isn't much, and at no negative to how many shots he gets close to the rim or free throw rate, I don't see the problem. Karl has shown the dynamic-ness for more post possessions and dropping Cousin's 3pt attempts the past 2 weeks. The last 5 games, Cousins is shooting 2.4 threes a game at 33% which is the same if Cousins shot 50% from mid, which will never happen. Despite this he's still shooting 40% on this 5 game stretch, which really is no fault to gameplan, his shot chart is fine, just isn't physically there yet.

Hopefully he gets 100% soon because just looking at his stats in wins vs. losses... He's a HUGE deal to this team.

Always Ballin

Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Had it with Cousins. Can't handle any form of adversity. The west has bent over backwards to take the 8th seed. Literally. But we just don't want it. Cousins is saying one thing in the media, and his demeanor and effort on the court says otherwise. He'll get his stats, at the expense of everyone else, and scrubs will have career nights. I've had enough. Karl has been up and down this season, but he deserves so much more. He's a legend and is being treated like crap. 28 odd seasons in the NBA coaching rank, playoffs 25 or so times... Finals appearances, multiple conference finals... This man has tenure, this man has success, and this man has reputation. What does Cousins have? Terrible deserved reputation and no success. If he really meant business this season he would have came in lean, fit and ready to go. I don't believe a word he says in the media because his on-court and locker room drama screams immature whining teenager.

Karl deserves so much better than this. Took a 20-20 Seattle team to the playoffs and a top seed for most of the decade. Took a 17-25 Denver team in 2005 and finished the season 32-8. Success wherever he's gone, superstar or not. Honestly I don't see sustainable success with Cousins at the helm. I don't see anything other than mediocrity at the best case scenario. It doesn't matter what coach, there'll always be problems. I say we trade Cousins and Gay, hope to get some young talent, or maybe Brandon Ingram, bring in a team culture ala George Karl Denver 2.0.

It's a matter of sustained success, and I don't see that with Cousins. It's going to end up either cousins or Karl eventually. I just hope the Kings make the right decision. Thibs might be able to plug a leak but with Cuz there is ALWAYS a problem. The ship will keep sinking no matter who the coach is. So much power for a guy that has done nothing outside of a last minute all-star selection and put up nice stats.

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Had it with Cousins. Can't handle any form of adversity. The west has bent over backwards to take the 8th seed. Literally. But we just don't want it. Cousins is saying one thing in the media, and his demeanor and effort on the court says otherwise. He'll get his stats, at the expense of everyone else, and scrubs will have career nights. I've had enough. Karl has been up and down this season, but he deserves so much more. He's a legend and is being treated like crap. 28 odd seasons in the NBA coaching rank, playoffs 25 or so times... Finals appearances, multiple conference finals... This man has tenure, this man has success, and this man has reputation. What does Cousins have? Terrible deserved reputation and no success. If he really meant business this season he would have came in lean, fit and ready to go. I don't believe a word he says in the media because his on-court and locker room drama screams immature whining teenager.

Karl deserves so much better than this. Took a 20-20 Seattle team to the playoffs and a top seed for most of the decade. Took a 17-25 Denver team in 2005 and finished the season 32-8. Success wherever he's gone, superstar or not. Honestly I don't see sustainable success with Cousins at the helm. I don't see anything other than mediocrity at the best case scenario. It doesn't matter what coach, there'll always be problems. I say we trade Cousins and Gay, hope to get some young talent, or maybe Brandon Ingram, bring in a team culture ala George Karl Denver 2.0.

It's a matter of sustained success, and I don't see that with Cousins. It's going to end up either cousins or Karl eventually. I just hope the Kings make the right decision. Thibs might be able to plug a leak but with Cuz there is ALWAYS a problem. The ship will keep sinking no matter who the coach is. So much power for a guy that has done nothing outside of a last minute all-star selection and put up nice stats.

I agree with you on a couple of things.....sometimes a so called leader has to lead. (We see it a lot in afl and the superstars of the nba)' where you train harder, lead by example in behaviour and mindset, encourage, motivate others, and especially turn up in shape. He is definitely appears heavier than last year which isn't good for either him or the rest of the team looking up to the star.

Secondly, a person with good/great skills will always get their stats. What separates good players from great players if these stats are within the flow of the offence and if they are able to be happy if others score or rebound instead of them. It is a team game, hence 5 players on court. The dropping of the head and the angry scowl on the face every time a pass isn't given to him or dropped, starts to wear on people. To be honest, it's worn on me and I am only watching. I didn't think I would say this because you don't trade the most talented player on your team but on this occasion for the team and franchise to move forward, you seriously have to look at it.

So on that note, let's think about next year and if we were GM, how, what would you go if you could trade Counsins and anyone else for that matter away and who would you trade for. I would love to think they could get Simmons just for the Australia connection but the more I think of it, the less he is suited to this current team (knowing to get him, you would have to give away Cousins).

I want to hear the trades and the our line up for next year if those trades happened. We might as well dream of paradise while we have to sit through this.

Always Ballin

Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree with you on a couple of things.....sometimes a so called leader has to lead. (We see it a lot in afl and the superstars of the nba)' where you train harder, lead by example in behaviour and mindset, encourage, motivate others, and especially turn up in shape. He is definitely appears heavier than last year which isn't good for either him or the rest of the team looking up to the star.

Secondly, a person with good/great skills will always get their stats. What separates good players from great players if these stats are within the flow of the offence and if they are able to be happy if others score or rebound instead of them. It is a team game, hence 5 players on court. The dropping of the head and the angry scowl on the face every time a pass isn't given to him or dropped, starts to wear on people. To be honest, it's worn on me and I am only watching. I didn't think I would say this because you don't trade the most talented player on your team but on this occasion for the team and franchise to move forward, you seriously have to look at it.

So on that note, let's think about next year and if we were GM, how, what would you go if you could trade Counsins and anyone else for that matter away and who would you trade for. I would love to think they could get Simmons just for the Australia connection but the more I think of it, the less he is suited to this current team (knowing to get him, you would have to give away Cousins).

I want to hear the trades and the our line up for next year if those trades happened. We might as well dream of paradise while we have to sit through this.
I would love it if we could get someone like Simmons or Ingram for him, along with some other pieces. I just want a franchise player who doesn't have a caution label on him. A franchise player that always comes in shape and ready to win. Cousins is blowing away his chance at a playoffs debut, coming in out of shape and showing little effort. Too caught up in the coaching drama. Unprofessional.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Cousins forces too much, he's an isolation player meant for a slow paced defensive unit with good hustle players and shooters around him. Karl coaches the complete opposite way and Cousins is just running up the court getting the ball and launching from distance, it's painful to watch so much talent wasted like this.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings

Believe me it is getting harder and harder to defend Cousins with every angry scowl and technical and launched jump shot when he's isolated on a smaller player. I don't think we blow it up just yet though. We owe the Bulls a pick if we hit basic mediocrity this season and if we manage to land a great pick Philly have rights to swap it should they lose out in the lottery too, it's crippling in the short term.
If a trade surfaced where Cousins and Gay were moved for a few nice young pieces I think general management would go for it, new arena next season; clean slate for Karl to really build his kind of team from the ground up up and an aura of a new area/culture in the Golden 1 centre would be the exact type of thing to get the fans hoping that it will be done properly this time.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
But look, honestly; Malone should have never been fired. It got us into this mess; I loved the slow pace and defensive sets we ran under him with Gay and Cousins allowed to beat their man one on one.
Casspi flourished under him too. Although he's kept that going this season pleasingly.

But look, honestly; Malone should have never been fired. It got us into this mess; I loved the slow pace and defensive sets we ran under him with Gay and Cousins allowed to beat their man one on one.
Casspi flourished under him too. Although he's kept that going this season pleasingly.

DeMarcus Cousins was so good under Malone. Like you said Malone had a game-plan that was well suited to Cousins style of play where it didn't really matter if he couldn't get back on defense quickly we still had numbers on the defensive end, not to mention Cousins was a beast on the boards at both ends on the floor. The difference in his game right now is clearly showing. Look at Cousins rebounding, steals and blocks per game average, it's significantly down compared to last season not to mention Cousins was defending at a very high level under Malone and attacking the basket and drawing a ton of fouls.

That high tempo game-plan isn't suited for Cousins as he's slow in rotation. I honestly don't know what's going on with him right now, maybe that back injury he sustained against Charlotte a few months ago is lingering on and it's effecting his movement. He just seems slow and lethargic on the court.

Could we be playoff bound?

If the Kings can defend those perimeter shooters and tidy up that backcourt and cut out those sloppy turnovers, then yes I can see us finishing in either 7th or 8th spot.

We've been able to knock off teams like Atlanta, Dallas, OKC, Toronto (twice), Indiana, Pistons, Houston and Utah.

But we've also had some really poor losses against teams below us like Minnesota (twice), Portland, Phoenix, Pelicans and the 76ers.

There's been a number of games too against Dallas and Charlotte that we blew big leads which should've been wins.

Our record with both Cousins and Will Cauley-Stein in the team sits at 10 wins and 3 losses.

I like what Cauley-Stein brings to the team. His defensive work and finishing ability down-low gives us another big man to ease the presser on Cousins doing the bulk of the work inside the paint area. Will Cauley-Stein is also an efficient scorer and a solid offensive rebounder.

DeMarcus Cousins last 10 games have been outstanding. He's been able to stay calm and composed without giving away any cheap technical fouls. Without question the number one reason as to why we've won 7 of the last 10 games.

Then you've got Rondo, Gay, Casspi, McLemore and Collison all chipping in and contributing making the task of winning a little bit easier.

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kings look set to trade cousins and get love from cleveland in return. Mozgov will most likely be involved in the deal aswell.

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Cousins isn't going anywhere. If he was, he would of already been gone. The city would tear the place apart if he was traded unless they were getting something better than Love & Mozgov.

If you were asked who would you have between Cousins and Koufas or Love & Movgov, you would choose Cousins every time.

First rule of success, trade a top 10 player in the league for another top 10 player. Nothing less. Granted, it can help you improve but it won't bring the ultimate success of a championship.

Kings look set to trade cousins and get love from cleveland in return. Mozgov will most likely be involved in the deal aswell.

Not gonna happen. DeMarcus Cousins is contracted and Kevin Love isn't close to Cousins when it comes to talent. DMC is about 3 years younger then Kevin Love and has much more upside. He ain't leaving the Kings.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
That trade is insulting.
If we can grind out quarters and cut back silly turnovers like we did against Atlanta we'll be a solid team completing for the 7th-9th spots in the west the entire second half of the season.
At least it's interesting!

Splash Brother

Senior List
Feb 15, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
48 reasons why he won't be traded delivered by Boogie today.

We should be having a look at trading Gay for a outside shooting 3 man. I don't really like him and we would need more than him but Ryan Anderson could work. Able to spread floor for Cousins with Belinelli on the floor together.

Hipster Doofus

Bigfooty's Neighbour
Feb 14, 2011
Apartment 5B
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
48 reasons why he won't be traded delivered by Boogie today.

We should be having a look at trading Gay for a outside shooting 3 man. I don't really like him and we would need more than him but Ryan Anderson could work. Able to spread floor for Cousins with Belinelli on the floor together.
I don't think Gay will be traded, when you boil down to it he's putting up 18 points pretty darn efficiently every night and as a 2nd offensive option there are not many that are as versatile in both a run and gun system and as an isolation player.

I honestly think that if he can bring the defensive intensity that's been shown the last few games from the group he could be a really big weapon, he's already got everything else. His length on the wing is unparalleled as well.

Casspi is perfect off the bench as the 3 or the stretch 4.

Since January the 3rd he's had eight 30+ point games and 10 consecutive double-doubles. He's the main reason as to why we've won 8 of the last 11 games. He's turned it around compared to last season when he was giving away a lot of technical fouls. He's stayed under control and it's reflecting in his performances right now.

vs PHO: 32 points - 9 rebounds - 1 assist - 2 steals
vs OKC: 33 points - 19 rebounds - 1 assist - 2 blocks
vs DAL: 35 points - 17 rebounds - 4 assists - 6 steals - 1 block
vs LAL: 29 points - 10 rebounds - 7 assists - 1 steal
vs GS: 33 points - 10 rebounds - 1 assist - 3 steals
vs NO: 32 points - 12 rebounds - 1 assist - 1 steal
vs UTA: 36 points - 17 rebounds - 1 assist - 1 steal - 1 block
vs LAC: 19 points - 13 rebounds - 6 assists - 2 blocks
vs LAL: 36 points - 16 rebounds - 3 assists - 1 steal - 1 block
vs ATL: 24 points - 15 rebounds - 5 assists - 3 steals - 2 blocks
vs IND: 48 points - 13 rebounds - 2 assists - 1 steal

average: 32.5 points - 13.7 rebounds - 2.9 assists - 1.72 steals - 0.5 blocks