Sacramento Kings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot Patrick Patterson, the army lad.

He can offer great outside looks at the 4, I like him. Just needs a bit more grunt inside but that can be hard to acquire when he's played the roaming point forward for his NBA career.
Probable starter, I'd take him over J Thomps anyway.

From what I've seen, I'd start Patterson with Cousins in order to stretch the floor. Give Cousins the paint to himself.

Then when Landry is healthy, he and Thompson tag team off the bench. Landry is a perfect 6th man type, probably best utilized to score points when Cousins is off the floor. If you need something different (post D, facilitator), you use Hayes.

From what I've seen, I'd start Patterson with Cousins in order to stretch the floor. Give Cousins the paint to himself.

Then when Landry is healthy, he and Thompson tag team off the bench. Landry is a perfect 6th man type, probably best utilized to score points when Cousins is off the floor. If you need something different (post D, facilitator), you use Hayes.

Another good post.
I don't see Landry and Thompson working as well off the bench as other possible combos because they can be cumbersome and over eager together , but if it's only for bursts it could be another pop off the bench :thumbsu:

Or you know, we could just give you Vasquez back with Jimmer for Anthony Davis, that would work too ;)

What do you King's fans think of the minute split between Vasquez and IT?

Most places i've read see it as Thomas off the bench as the 6th man dynamic scoring type, but trying to work out the minutes for both is frustrating me.

Most places i've read see it as Thomas off the bench as the 6th man dynamic scoring type, but trying to work out the minutes for both is frustrating me.

I'd reckon Vasquez would get 26-30 minutes a night, with Thomas getting 20-22.
It's hard, both offer something different and do it well. They can't work terrifically in tandem because of their combined defensive limitations so it would be a fairly even split to keep them fresh you'd reckon.

You bitches ready to roll?!

Another season of SACRAMENTO (not Seattle) basketball this time with REAL owners with a clear direction and willingness to spend to make it happen!

We will improve just by that alone. A foundation year for us but I think we are at least starting to head in the right direction.

Another season of SACRAMENTO (not Seattle) basketball this time with REAL owners with a clear direction and willingness to spend to make it happen!

We will improve just by that alone. A foundation year for us but I think we are at least starting to head in the right direction.
Nice new avatar.

You're looking good roster wise. All the best for the season. You guys seem to give us a lot of trouble. I think we'll see a few battles this season out West.

Spot on. Our weakness at the 3 and 4 cannot be denied, but hopefully this season someone can make it their own :thumbsu:

:thumbsu: Demarcus, consistently great today.

It's only ever been consistently good or spasmodically great, and I know it is only the first game; but gee if he can capitalise on this and build from here.

Nice win, enjoy it while it lasts

DMC...jesus. Put the team on his back today.

I swore I posed in here earlier. Anyway what I said was that was awesome to watch. Most excited I've been for a season in years and it feels like we're really starting to build a new identity/reclaiming our old one that has been missing for so long. Play on the court might not all be there this season, but it's starting.

Pretty much what Hipster has said. Their minutes will be fairly even (overall) but depending on b2b's and travel factors either could see more minutes on a given night but overall I'd say fairly even.

The same can be said for Thornton/McLemore too. I would even bet McLemore would take over (minutes wise) from Thornton by the end of the year.

Getting on to todays game and the biggest differences I've noticed are (in no particular order)

1. DMC! Wow. His overall game was what we have all been waiting for but there was a moment at the start of the game that really stood out for me. He was getting into position against McGee and was called for an early foul (before Vas had even called a play) and instead of his normal demeanour where he'd crack it and then be out of focus for the rest of the game. He just looked at the ref and then ran right back down the court to get on D. Huge difference, hopefully this is signs of things to come. Add to this his shot selection was so much better and with the other shooters on the floor he doesn't need to take long 2s. GO TO WORK YOUNG MAN!!
2. Team Defence !! How much of a difference does it make when we as a team defend. Love the new Coach.
3. The ability to spread the floor and give DMC move to room is another big difference. We always had shooters but with proper plays and roles it feels like we are finally on the right track to harness our offensive capabilities.

I know it's only one game and I know we probably wont make playoffs but we are headed in the right direction.

Just finished watching the replay. The whole build up (talking about the sale last year, introducing the new owner) was pretty good. The fans were loud. Good on them.

Cousins was great. He's got that look in his eye that he wants this team to do well, and he's going to lead that charge. McLemore had some good looks, but couldn't convert. Malone will definitely be big for the Kings.

Anyway, happy you guys are still in Sacramento, and you were fun to watch today. Will definitely be watching more of your games this season. Though hopefully you don't give us as much grief this year ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cousins was a beast! Its not just the numbers that were compelling but its how the happened! He was tired, he had defence collapse on him, he had the refs on his back but he kept pushing through it and coming back for more! You wouldn't see that last year!

And silverscope, you know why there were no long 2s? Its because he touches the ball every time down the court. There is no equal opportunity offense crap that was run the last 3 years where he was frozen out so he kept jacking up s**t every time he touched it. Its pretty simple, put your best player in position where he can succeed and get him to see the ball often just about every trip down the floor and get him to make decisions.

Boogie is a very good passer for a big man and he is not selfish despite popular opinion. He was beastly all game but his 4th quarter in particular was insane. Some key buckets, key rebounds, took a charge then blocked Lawson. Had the whole defence collapse on him causing him to miss but allowing JT for an easy put back dunk for a win.

We are miles off being a play off team but there is actually structure in place now. A clear hierarchy on offense and clear offensive and defensive sets.

McLemore has a sweet jumper. He missed some wide open looks but he will hit more of those than he misses over his career. He was a bit nervous and it showed but showing some nice signs with him ability to move off the ball and hit the open jumpers on kick outs from Cousins.

Cousins was a beast! Its not just the numbers that were compelling but its how the happened! He was tired, he had defence collapse on him, he had the refs on his back but he kept pushing through it and coming back for more! You wouldn't see that last year!

And silverscope, you know why there were no long 2s? Its because he touches the ball every time down the court. There is no equal opportunity offense crap that was run the last 3 years where he was frozen out so he kept jacking up s**t every time he touched it. Its pretty simple, put your best player in position where he can succeed and get him to see the ball often just about every trip down the floor and get him to make decisions.

Boogie is a very good passer for a big man and he is not selfish despite popular opinion. He was beastly all game but his 4th quarter in particular was insane. Some key buckets, key rebounds, took a charge then blocked Lawson. Had the whole defence collapse on him causing him to miss but allowing JT for an easy put back dunk for a win.

We are miles off being a play off team but there is actually structure in place now. A clear hierarchy on offense and clear offensive and defensive sets.

McLemore has a sweet jumper. He missed some wide open looks but he will hit more of those than he misses over his career. He was a bit nervous and it showed but showing some nice signs with him ability to move off the ball and hit the open jumpers on kick outs from Cousins.

Excellent post :thumbsu:

How did you see Vasquez's first game by the way?
I think he'll need more than half the season to begin to gel with the big boys in the paint.

That tech on Cousins there was rubbish.

I dunno about rubbish. Honestly he did stare him down and yell something at Paul. That's been given a tech for a few years now under "taunting" so I think it was there although it could have been let go. BUT Chris Paul is still a little bitch who complained to the ref who probably wouldn't have called it had it not been for his sook.

So Kings add themselves some Gay and there is no movement in this thread.

Clear upgrade in talent (not sure about fit) so it has to be a win. Absolutely hate Thomas as a starting PG especially with Cousins and Gay onthe floor. He is best suited to a 6th man and he is one of the best in the league at it but he is not a starter, certainly on this team. His game does not mesh with Cousins well and I very much doubt it fits well with Gay either and he is clearly the 3rd best player on that team.

Tbh I think you're better off w/o Gravy at point guard - I've seen a few of your games and the chemistry just wasn't working.

In fairness Vasquez & Cousins needed to be surrounded by better shooters for a half-court offense to flourish - the perimeter shooting was abysmal. Now that you have athletes you can push the tempo - whether Isaiah is the right PG for the job remains to be seen, but I wouldn't rule him out at this early stage.

A lot is going to come down to Mike Malone - you have pieces now, but he has to utilise them judiciously. If he can get Cuz, IT, Gay and Williams to buy in to 'the plan' (whatever it may be), then he's earning his pay-cheque.

The Kings look a lot more exciting on paper now, and yet you should still end up with a top-10 pick in the Draft - win/win.

Just came across this, couldn't stop laughing..

kingspeanuts_zpsc8f348af.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back