Saeed Ajmal banned from bowling

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anybody read in cricinfo the article about Botha (surprise, surprise) suggesting that the degrees should be extended to 20/25 degrees? I think that's an excellent idea, because then when everyone is pushing themselves to bowl at 30, we can change it again to 30/35 and so on and so forth.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Anybody read in cricinfo the article about Botha (surprise, surprise) suggesting that the degrees should be extended to 20/25 degrees? I think that's an excellent idea, because then when everyone is pushing themselves to bowl at 30, we can change it again to 30/35 and so on and so forth.
Why fly a kite when you can...pop a pill?

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've watched a lot of Botha, I have no doubt he is bowling with a much straighter arm that's EVER before - coincidence?

Botha is the dodgiest prick going around with his action. Its pretty obvious he knows exactly what he is doing these days. I don't doubt he deliberately chucks one every so often when he needs to - very unlikely to get caught too.

Honestly, I feel for the bowlers. I doubt they are thinking to themselves 'hehe I'm going to cheat today and gets me some wickets'. They've merely bowled they way they do naturally...scratch that, they way they've been allowed to bowl naturally...and have had success with.

All of a sudden, the ICC finally decides to crack down on it, which is great...but I feel as though if they had been more consistent with their punishments of the problem over the years then it would never have gotten to this point.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, I feel for the bowlers. I doubt they are thinking to themselves 'hehe I'm going to cheat today and gets me some wickets'. They've merely bowled they way they do naturally...scratch that, they way they've been allowed to bowl naturally...and have had success with.

All of a sudden, the ICC finally decides to crack down on it, which is great...but I feel as though if they had been more consistent with their punishments of the problem over the years then it would never have gotten to this point.

Considering what Ashwin did as an 'experiment' last year and his pointed comments about players bowling in long sleeves, I wish what you said about bowlers bowling 'naturally' was true, but people will try and push envelopes if they can. There is a lot of money to be made in short format cricket these days after all.

From what i've seen, you can certainly blame the West Indies and Pakistan first class systems and boards as they have let bowlers get away with truly dodgy actions for years. But then they both sound as big a mess as any sports organizations going around.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
ICC did create this environment for sure so they do share a large part of the blame, but in saying that teams like SL and pakistan knew the floodgates were open and put the blinders on at all levels no matter how disgraceful the action and they must share the blame for that.

Even if the cops go on strike and you know you can get away with it then a crime is still a crime, we kept our backyard clean even though we didn't have to and they should have done the same.

Back