Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
STATEMENT FROM AFL PLAYERS' CEO PAUL MARSH
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-afl-players-ceo-paul-marsh-2/

By Paul Marsh Oct 23, 2014

The AFL Players’ Association can confirm the players’ lawyers have reviewed the summary of evidence that has been provided by ASADA in support of the amended show cause notices.

The players’ legal team have had discussions with the players about the show cause packs and the material on which ASADA’s case is based.

The players affirmed their commitment to seek an expeditious process to give them the opportunity to remove the cloud that has hung over them for almost two years.

The players do not intend to respond to the show cause notices.

It is important to note that the onus of proving the allegations against the players that they were administered the prohibited substance Thymosin Beta 4, rests with the AFL. While ASADA is only required to demonstrate to the Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel a ‘possibility’ of a violation, the much higher standard proof of ‘comfortable satisfaction’ is required to be proved by the AFL at the AFL Anti-Doping tribunal.

The players’ lawyers have written to ASADA and the AFL informing them that the players do not intend to respond to the show cause notices and requested that ASADA expedite the process by bringing the matter before the Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel within seven days.

In the event that ASADA is not able to meet that timeline, ASADA has been requested to simultaneously provide the AFL General Counsel and the players’ legal team with all the documentation and evidentiary material it has in this matter so that the matter can be dealt with in accordance with the AFL Anti-Doping Code.

We urge ASADA to take all necessary steps to accede to the players’ request for this matter to be fast-tracked, particularly given that:

- the players remain steadfast in their belief they have done nothing wrong;

- the players have cooperated fully throughout the entire process;

- the evidence should have been provided when the show cause notices were originally issued in June; and

- the unnecessary delays that the players have had to endure that are in no part attributable to them, without there being any finality to this saga.

This process has already taken up 21 months – about half the average AFL player’s career. The prospect that players would have to endure a third season with these proceeding hanging over their head is simply unacceptable.

The players want this matter resolved quickly and fairly. It is time to bring this matter to an end.

6a00d8341c730253ef019b037b63a9970c-pi

Pretty sure ASADA being the professional organisation that they had their brief completely ready to go before issuing the notices and can grant the players hearings immediately.

I mean surely there wasn't just 350 pages of a fishing expedition that hoped the players pled guilty for "backdated" bans.

I posted in the legal thread, but what is the process now?

Do the players automatically get put into the register of findings?
Then I assume it goes straight to a hearing?
Then findings, sanctions?
Appeals obviously - what have I missed?

Misleading thread title

Can't possible say its going to end soon

should
should
ʃʊd/
verb
modal verb: should
  1. 1.
    used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.
    "he should have been careful"
    • indicating a desirable or expected state.
      "by now pupils should be able to read with a large degree of independence"
    • used to give or ask advice or suggestions.
      "you should go back to bed"
    • used to give advice.
      "I should hold out if I were you"
  2. 2.
    used to indicate what is probable.
    "£348 m should be enough to buy him out"
It's not the OP's fault you don't understand the English language.

Pretty sure ASADA being the professional organisation that they had their brief completely ready to go before issuing the notices and can grant the players hearings immediately.

I mean surely there wasn't just 350 pages of a fishing expedition that hoped the players pled guilty for "backdated" bans.
Was there ever any deal for backdated bans?

should
should
ʃʊd/
verb
modal verb: should
  1. 1.
    used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions.
    "he should have been careful"
    • indicating a desirable or expected state.
      "by now pupils should be able to read with a large degree of independence"
    • used to give or ask advice or suggestions.
      "you should go back to bed"
    • used to give advice.
      "I should hold out if I were you"
  2. 2.
    used to indicate what is probable.
    "£348 m should be enough to buy him out"
It's not the OP's fault you don't understand the English language.
Sorry that you don't understand the English language

probable
ˈprɒbəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    likely to happen or be the case.
    "it is probable that the economic situation will deteriorate further"
    synonyms:likely, most likely, odds-on, expected, to be expected, anticipated,predictable, foreseeable, ten to one, presumed, potential, credible,quite possible, possible, feasible; More
Its not likely & it's not going to be the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players have clearly have been given a "wink wink" that a lettuce leaf slap is on the way.

Just get it done with so a third season isn't derailed.
interesting take on it. The only way a "lettuce leaf slap" can come is via a deal, not via a tribunal.

I'd say the players have clearly been given a "wink wink" that the evidence isn't going to hold up at the tribunal, like some of us have said for ages, and that they want to get it tested.

If they thought the evidence was strong the statement would be talking about approaching ASADA for deals. The writing is on the wall people.

I posted in the legal thread, but what is the process now?

Do the players automatically get put into the register of findings?
Then I assume it goes straight to a hearing?
Then findings, sanctions?
Appeals obviously - what have I missed?

Hopefully immediately put into a register of finding and then straight to the tribunal.

I have heard that one player will go first and it'll be shown that even if there is a circumstantial case that TB4 was at Essendon that is very different to showing that this individual was given TB4 ... when there was less than 34 doses ever at the club .... if circumstantial case against those 26 vials holds up .... despite the only witness who could put them there never being interviewed and the person who gave them to him saying he doesn't know where they went.

Then the other 33 will go as a group case and all get off on the same principle.

Players have clearly have been given a "wink wink" that a lettuce leaf slap is on the way.

Just get it done with so a third season isn't derailed.

They would have taken deals then. Going to tribunal opens them up for the full punishment.

So based on this statement, if the players get off ASADA will appeal and then they will have to prove a possible violation. I can still see this dragging out for 12-24 months.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/statement-from-afl-players-ceo-paul-marsh-2/

It is important to note that the onus of proving the allegations against the players that they were administered the prohibited substance Thymosin Beta 4, rests with the AFL. While ASADA is only required to demonstrate to the Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel a ‘possibility’ of a violation, the much higher standard proof of ‘comfortable satisfaction’ is required to be proved by the AFL at the AFL Anti-Doping tribunal.

The players’ lawyers have written to ASADA and the AFL informing them that the players do not intend to respond to the show cause notices and requested that ASADA expedite the process by bringing the matter before the Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel within seven days.

Sorry that you don't understand the English language

probable
ˈprɒbəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    likely to happen or be the case.
    "it is probable that the economic situation will deteriorate further"
    synonyms:likely, most likely, odds-on, expected, to be expected, anticipated,predictable, foreseeable, ten to one, presumed, potential, credible,quite possible, possible, feasible; More
Its not likely & it's not going to be the case

Yeah actually it is probable, that's the point.

Here you go friend - http://www.applyesl.com/navi/step/article.asp?tid=03010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back