Retired Leigh Montagna

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2009            2008            2007       
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
MID 11 MONTAGNA, Leigh    27    122    $509,100 $668,200 24    113.2    125.1    25    89.0    97.2    21    95.8    102.3

Leigh Montagna is one of the very elite high possession players in the league with top 5 finishes in both Dream Team and Supercoach again in 2010 after doing the same in 2009.

Leigh finished 2nd in the Trevor Barker medal in 2010 (to Lenny Hayes)

Leigh was selected in the All Australian teams for 2009 and 2010.

Joey also travelled to Ireland representing Australia in the International rules football series.

Mister E

Team Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Re: 2011 Player Reviews

Leigh 'Joey' Montagna

AFL+Second+Elimination+Final+St+Kilda+v+Sydney+pxzPorjhJxPl.jpg

The hard running wingman had good year, without being outstanding. Along with Dal Santo, Jones and Ray, Montagna brought stability and experience after the loss of Lenny Hayes.

Montagna started the season with a strong performance against Geelong in Rd 1 Gathering 28 disposals (21 Kicks) which was a sign of things to come in following weeks. Where at the conclusion of Rd 5 he looked set for his third consecutive All-Australian Averaging 29 disposals a game. His form though did not coincide with His team, who at that point had only 1 win from 5 games.

Due to the lack of contested ball being won throughout 2011, Montagna was not able to be as damaging on the outside as he previously was. Often being forced to play more of an inside role. The stunning form of Nick Dal Santo, did take some pressure of Montagna, who sometimes showed why he was considered such a threat. Examples being Rd 9 against Melbourne where he amassed a game high 38 possessions and 2 goals and Rd 21 where he collected 24 possessions and 3 goals.

In a round 11 clash against reigning premiers Collingwood, Montagna suffered an injury scare. When team-mate David Armitage land awkwardly on Montagna's knee. Forcing him to be subbed off early and consequently miss the next game. At this point in the season St Kilda could not afford to loose any influential players, especially another midfielder. On his return in Rd 13. Montagna appeared to still be in pain and was sporting a heavily strapped knee. It was no surprise that he had his worst game for the season and lowest disposal count since 2005. Luckily for the Saints, Montagana returned for the last 10 rounds and Elimination final, where he was a strong contributor and on field leader.

Montagna also celebrated his 150th game in Rd 2, showcasing how far he'd come as a player. Who took 5 years to cement his place in the starting 22. Another milestone for Montagna came in Rd 19, where in the absence of Captain Nick Riewoldt and Vice Captain Lenny Hayes he solely captained the team for the first time, leading them to a win.

Stats

Games: 21
Goals:13
Disposals (Avg): 506 (24)

Saints fans will be looking for another great year from Leigh in 2012, where he will now be considered a veteran. In his 11th year in the Red White and Black, Montagna will be hoping to recapture his form of 2009/2010 where he was easily among the top midfielders in the competition. With the addition of youth and the help of fellow All-Australians Nick Dal Santo and Lenny Hayes. Montagna will be expected to once again drive the Saints to the ever elusive second premiership.

Leigh Montagna #11

In the pre-season, Monty was awarded life membership at St Kilda:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d-leigh-montagna/story-e6frepf6-1226306702487
"I'm grateful for all of the opportunities St Kilda has given me over the years," Montagna said. "I'm excited about the fact I'll be a part of the St Kilda football club for the rest of my life."

After finishing 4th in last year's B&F, I felt that 2012 might not see the same performance levels from Monty.

He started the season with only 16 possessions in a surprise loss against Port, and only received votes from the coaches once in the first 11 rounds of the season.

In round 5, Montagna was reported for striking but the club elected to challenge the penalty (risking a 3 week suspension). In the first time under the current tribunal system, the AFL sensationally withdrew the charge before the hearing. The Saints had decided to call James Magner as a witness, despite him leaving the field under the blood rule. The AFL interviewed Magner, who told them that it was an accidental knee as a result of pulling Montagna to the ground! A victory for common sense - not something Saints fans were used to when it came to tribunal matters.

In May, Montagna made it clear that he would not be testing his worth under free agency:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=136430
"I'm certainly happy to get mine done sooner rather than later and I think that will start very shortly. I'll be staying at St Kilda," Montagna said. I'm happy at the club and if you want to stay and you want to play, most players get paid accordingly to where they sit amongst the club and I think that's the end of it,"

Despite this he was rumoured in July to be a potential key player under free agency, which was quickly countered by his management:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th-montagna-over-contract-20120719-22d46.html
Dan Richardson of Elite Sports Properties, last night said of the 28-year-old Saint: ''We're in discussions and, as he's publicly stated, his desire is to stay there.''

His form was strong in the second half of the season, and he received coaches votes in 8 of the last 11 games.

In a storming finish in the B&F, he nearly pipped Lenny Hayes and finished on 121 votes (just 3 behind Hayes).

Montagna played all 22 games and averaged 23.6 possessions. He ranked 4th in contested possessions, 4th in marks, 3rd in tackles, 3rd in clearances, 7th in rebound 50s, easily had the most inside 50s, and was second in goal assists.

He re-signed for a further 2 years late in the season:
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146187/default.aspx
“My philosophy right from the start was: If I got an offer from St Kilda which we thought was fair I was always going to stay. I couldn’t bring myself to leave and I wouldn’t want to. I’m happy to finish out my career as a one club player.”

Monty got a one week suspension in the final game for rough conduct, but I'll refrain from making any predictions this time around!

images

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-26/montagna-the-mentor

Montagna has taken players under his wing in recent years. His willingness to impart a decade of AFL knowledge on talented but often raw youngsters accelerates there development, as has been the case with Jack Steven over the last 18 months.

“I’ll take a bit of credit. I’ve worked quite a bit with Jack Steven over the last couple of years and sort of taken him under the wing and tried to mentor him a bit. But he’s blossomed this year and he’s been sensational.”

“There are a lot of young kids in the side so guys like Lenny, Roo, Dal and myself - we just need to continue to lead by example.”

Really question some of Joeys decisions, think it would of been better to keep Del move joey on
A debate on who was better to keep Dal or Joey could be a 300 page thread.
In defence of Joey I think besides from some poor showings this yr ( and hes not Robinson Crusoe there) I think Joey has been a very consistent player over the yrs.
And although I rate Dal very highly I doubt he would be playing quite as good if he was still with us this yr.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is that because Dal was better than Joey last week?

Three weeks ago it was the other way around. Joey got over 30 and Dal was heavily critisised?

Is that because Dal was better than Joey last week?

Three weeks ago it was the other way around. Joey got over 30 and Dal was heavily critisised?
No because Joey has been average all year has showed zero leadership out on the ground this year and on top the dwarf BS at the end last year, in my opinion has been one of the biggest disappointments this year

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
You do realise your thought on Joey are not backed up by numbers?
His last 34 games he has had 930 possessions.

Shown zero leadership? How does the average supporter measure leadership?

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last edited by a moderator:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
ST KILDA great Nick Riewoldt will play on until at least 2016 with the Saints about to offer their captain another contract extension.

St Kilda football boss Chris Pelchen confirmed to the Herald Sun a deal would be offered to Riewoldt for the 2016 season in coming months.

“He’s already contracted for 2015, but we will give consideration to an extension into 2016 during the 2015 off-season. This will be discussed by the list management committee in coming weeks with discussions between the club and his manager Tom Petroro likely to follow,’’ he said.

The club is also confident veteran Leigh Montagna will bounce back after he played with a raft of serious injuries this season.

They included playing with a crack in his leg for a period of the season, with Montagna labelling it his only poor year out of the previous eight years this week.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Glad to hear that about Joey, explains why looked behind the play a bit this year and appeared not not to be giving it 100% at times.
Would love to see him retire a 1 club man.

Cheers to all the fans that gave him sh1t every week. :mad:
Why play him?

IMO - notwithstanding he showed guts to do it - it was stupid by the club, and also by him.

Cheers to all the fans that gave him sh1t every week. :mad:

Ill put my hand up as one who put the boots into Joey but in my defence there was no need for him to play injured.

By the end of the year he was a liability in the team.

Couldve put him out for half a dozen games and played Saunders, Minchi, Jones... Try Siposs on a wing? Then bring him back for Lenny's last game.

Yes he took the tag away from Armo or Steven but it wouldve done them good to be made to fight through it. Gonna have to eventually right?

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
4th in the B&F

His numbers were down on his elite stuff from the last 8 years.... But at 23ppg with the main tag

Not terrible?

I don't buy into the injury thing much.... It's no surprise he appeared more like 2013 Dal or BJ/Lenny when tagged... It's not easy to beat
Crowley, Cornes, Weller, McCaffer etc.

ST KILDA great Nick Riewoldt will play on until at least 2016 with the Saints about to offer their captain another contract extension.

St Kilda football boss Chris Pelchen confirmed to the Herald Sun a deal would be offered to Riewoldt for the 2016 season in coming months.

“He’s already contracted for 2015, but we will give consideration to an extension into 2016 during the 2015 off-season. This will be discussed by the list management committee in coming weeks with discussions between the club and his manager Tom Petroro likely to follow,’’ he said.

The club is also confident veteran Leigh Montagna will bounce back after he played with a raft of serious injuries this season.

They included playing with a crack in his leg for a period of the season, with Montagna labelling it his only poor year out of the previous eight years this week.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wow, a crack in his leg!. Those who thought he was not interested in playing for the club should hang their head in shame. :)

Back