Saints Should Keep Andrew Plympton Away From The Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Without wanting to upset the Saints fans on this forum, clearly Plympton's attitude is exactly the reason why the Saints have not experienced greater success.

"we've only won one premiership but we shouldn't have to do anything different or better to win our second"

There's an old saying that goes something like "if you keep doing the same things but expect a different result then you have rocks in your head".

Plympton, the St Kilda president from between 1993-2000, told Fairfax Media: "There's a lot of great people who have been involved with the club over the years who would just be slightly aghast at this re-emphasis on culture. Get on with the job.

"Every new administration that comes through St Kilda talks about the change of culture. Understood. The club hasn't won a premiership for a long period of time. But also let's recognise that it's about other things as well. It's about money. If you haven't got the cash you've got no splash.

"Don't insult the people who have worked very hard at this club that you've got to change the culture of the club. Be cautious about how you go about that."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...d-changing-says-plympton-20150301-13s170.html

Without wanting to upset the Saints fans on this forum, clearly Plympton's attitude is exactly the reason why the Saints have not experienced greater success.

"we've only won one premiership but we shouldn't have to do anything different or better to win our second"

There's an old saying that goes something like "if you keep doing the same things but expect a different result then you have rocks in your head".

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...d-changing-says-plympton-20150301-13s170.html

I wonder if that is a reference to the Seaford experiment.

St Kilda have taken advice from a 'brand psychologist' on the matter. The club has told the AFL its latent supporters have felt let down, and have ultimately distanced themselves, due to a perception of poor discipline and poor decision-making.

If I was a Saints fan, I'd be pleased to know that the new administration was exploring all options to get the club united & successful. Matt Finnis seems to be doing a smart job jn trying to turn that club around, he should be applauded & supported, not have an ex-president take a potshot through the media.

We care about Andrew Plympton's comments, as much as Carlton fans care about John Elliott.

The club in administration terms is in fantastic shape, Finnis and Summers are doing a great job in keeping up the spirits of a fanbase coming off a wooden spoon.

It seems in terms of fan interaction and club initiatives we're doing way better than when we were playing in grand finals!

Richo will be good for you mob.

The club in administration terms is in fantastic shape, Finnis and Summers are doing a great job in keeping up the spirits of a fanbase coming off a wooden spoon.

It seems in terms of fan interaction and club initiatives we're doing way better than when we were playing in grand finals!

Yep, you're in a far better position now. :rolleyes:

I think more than anything the ex prez is sticking it to the perceived "bad culture" at the club, rather than saying the club shouldn't be doing anything different at all in their attempts to win a premiership.

Yep, you're in a far better position now. :rolleyes:
From an ability to build a legitimate and permanent membership base and larger supporter base yes we are in a better position now.

We lost 10k members after 2011 due to our inability to capitalize on the "fair weather" supporters that came on board due to a complete lack of player and club involvement over that time.

As for the article in the op. Damn that was a nothing article completely. I really dont even get the point of it? Who cares what an old president thinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He makes a fair point about it not just being about culture, but that doesn't change the fact the club is going about rectifying it the right way.

The quote about not being a club with a "blokey" culture completely invalidates every other point he has made, however. A footy club honestly is that by nature, I would have thought.

Couldn't agree more. It could be argued that if it weren't for his influence the Saints could have won a premiership late 90s/early 00s.

Yeah you're right, it's much better winning wooden spoons than making grand finals, yep. :rolleyes:

I give him one more chance before accepting he's just acting like a dickhead.

Read my message once more, and see that I'm saying our fan interactions at both club events and over social media, club initiatives and programs to keep the club connected with it's members and supporters (such as the finals series articles where we had a new youth signing released every day or the initiative to have 25k members by Christmas which we only recently had after the 2009 Grand Final) and finally the general openness of the club is far better than when we were playing Grand Finals.

I give him one more chance before accepting he's just acting like a dickhead.

Read my message once more, and see that I'm saying our fan interactions at both club events and over social media, club initiatives and programs to keep the club connected with it's members and supporters (such as the finals series articles where we had a new youth signing released every day or the initiative to have 25k members by Christmas which we only recently had after the 2009 Grand Final) and finally the general openness of the club is far better than when we were playing Grand Finals.

So the club being generally open is more important than making grand finals? Well fair enough, whatever is your priority I guess, I'd rather make the big dance myself but if that's what's important to you good luck sunshine! :thumbsu:

So the club being generally open is more important than making grand finals? Well fair enough, whatever is your priority I guess, I'd rather make the big dance myself but if that's what's important to you good luck sunshine! :thumbsu:

Holy f**k you're stupid.

Anyway, I shouldn't talk to a Richmond fan about more than an Elimination final.

Something St Kilda have done as many times as Richmond have made finals since 2002.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back