Discussion Junction Oval / Moorabbin redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect you blokes are missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter where you are, it what you do!
If you have a competitive facility in the AFL, that what matters.
Hawthorn are based in Mt Waverley not Hawthorn. Has it done them harm?
Stop talking about crap and concentrate on the best facilities available to support our team.
When was the last time we were in St Kilda? Does Moorabbin not count?
Just to say we have political parties sprouting we should move back to St Kilda doesn't mean its right.

i disagree

we need to start taking the iconic places and imagery of st kilda and associating it with our club

when people first go to melbourne, st kilda is often one of the first places they visit and they love it. we need to capture that and entice new people to the club

I suspect you blokes are missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter where you are, it what you do!
If you have a competitive facility in the AFL, that what matters.
Hawthorn are based in Mt Waverley not Hawthorn. Has it done them harm?
Stop talking about crap and concentrate on the best facilities available to support our team.
When was the last time we were in St Kilda? Does Moorabbin not count?
Just to say we have political parties sprouting we should move back to St Kilda doesn't mean its right.
Just cos we all have different opinions it doesnt mean we have " missed the point entirely"
What you have just said is just ' your point' .

Is there anyone with twitter that can be bothered asking Vic Labor (https://twitter.com/VictorianLabor) if they will expand their commitment to include the Saints?

I'd be genuinely interested to see what their reply is. I'd set up an account to ask the question but I'm not sure a empty account would have a decent chance of getting a reply.

The ALP have won the election. So, once again, our return to the Junction Oval is in doubt.
Dont lose faith
It aint over till the Fat Labor Sings
244919-daniel-andrews.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes i know he has lost weight now. But never let the truth get in the way of a really pad pun:p

St.Kilda hopes Junction Oval move could go ahead after further talks with State Labor Party
  • JON RALPH
  • HERALD SUN
  • NOVEMBER 30, 2014

Dumped premier Denis Napthine’s $20 million pledge for a cricket-football development, costed at $60 million, included St Kilda building a training base at the adjoining Ian Johnson Oval.

The club would not comment publicly yesterday but Labor is on record as being open to negotiations with the Saints and AFL — and actually pledged more money than the Liberals.

St Kilda would build a training base, a museum and a venue like a cafe or function centre for fans to congregate at training or after games.

Before the election win St Kilda and the AFL had held discussions with Labor about including the Saints in the new precinct.

Andrews also suggested he would make the day before the Grand Final a public holiday to ramp up the atmosphere and turn the week into a celebration of Australian football.

The Western Bulldogs now seem certain to play games in Ballarat as early as 2017 given the Labor victory.

Andrews had promised a $31.5 million upgrade of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium, with the Dogs nominating the regional city as a priority despite North Melbourne’s previous interest.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said earlier this month the Dogs were confident the AFL would schedule games at the venue if it was up to AFL standards.

Geelong had been offered $70 million for Simonds Stadium to compete its stage four upgrade, replacing the Brownlow and Jennings stands and increasing capacity to 36,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cricket bosses are saying that they do not want Saints to be part of the new development.
It ain't going to happen unfortunately.
You guys should concentrate on Moorabbin.

Cricket bosses are saying that they do not want Saints to be part of the new development.
It ain't going to happen unfortunately.
You guys should concentrate on Moorabbin.

Indeed.

I think we should look to turn Moorabbin into a top end training facility to replace Seaford while also providing us with plenty of office space and a social club. How we get enough money to make that happen is the issue though.

Indeed.

I think we should look to turn Moorabbin into a top end training facility to replace Seaford while also providing us with plenty of office space and a social club. How we get enough money to make that happen is the issue though.
Start a sausage sizzle.

I do agree though. As much as Junction oval was the original home, you have to go back literally 50 years and 1 flag to have been there. Moorabbin has been the club for 50 years and should continue to be our main focus. Linton street has plenty of room there to utilize with the proper negotiations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start a sausage sizzle.

I do agree though. As much as Junction oval was the original home, you have to go back literally 50 years and 1 flag to have been there. Moorabbin has been the club for 50 years and should continue to be our main focus. Linton street has plenty of room there to utilize with the proper negotiations.

Yeah, JO was great because it wasn't going to cost us a shitload and would happen sooner, rather than later. Moorabbin makes just as much sense and could easily result in better facilities for us in the long run. If JO is off the table I think we should look long term and aim to turn Moorabbin into a complete facility for us to train and operate out of while hopefully also having a social club/merch store and possibly allowing us to play our VFL games there.

I hope we have kept the door open to future development and additions when planning the current Moorabbin redevelopments. I'm kinda hoping the delay with the Moorabbin redevelopment and the standalone VFL team have something to do with a change of plans for the whole thing. But that is probably wishful thinking.

What is the ******* point if we aren't playing there and aren't using the main oval? Would be better off trying to secure funding to play low drawing games in Frankston or on the Mornington Peninsula.

because we'd have a presence in st kilda and be able to make the place red white and black again

A Cafe would probably be cheaper then whatever we have to stump up for Junction Oval.

since when did the junction oval move require us to "stump up" anything

the whole point of it was that the AFL et all would be paying our way

it required nothing from us, at worst we'd be handing over the lease at seaford to someone else

i think you need to read through this thread again

Moorrabbin is a big ask for a club that is already 10 mill in dept and would have to fund the whole thing.

Assuming gill wants saints back at the junction and can provide at least 10 mill in funding towards a better facility plus maybe some "white knights " like fox or jayco contributing . Are c.v going to knock back 15 - 20 mill just because they don't want to share a gym or a pool with the saints?
Surely not.
Gill should tell them to shove it or at least play hard ball.

Moorrabbin is a big ask for a club that is already 10 mill in dept and would have to fund the whole thing.

Assuming gill wants saints back at the junction and can provide at least 10 mill in funding towards a better facility plus maybe some "white knights " like fox or jayco contributing . Are c.v going to knock back 15 - 20 mill just because they don't want to share a gym or a pool with the saints?
Surely not.
Gill should tell them to shove it or at least play hard ball.

JO without the Saints is only $5m short of funding on a $40m plan. With the Saints it's about $15m short on a plan than has already been reduced from $74m to $60m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back