Discussion Junction Oval / Moorabbin redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints and Sinners Cafe's/Bars/Restaurants all down the Bayside Suburbs have discounted prices for club members.

From an economics point that could work. However, I wouldn't expect them to own the places, more it would be an arrangement similar to the petrol discount receipts.

Think of a bunch of cafe's and pubs who all offer discounts to saints members. The saints pay ~half of the discount rate and in return the cafe/pub paints the store saints colours and receives more customers.

Could actually work... Finnis should offer me a internship to set it up XD

What is the ******* point if we aren't playing there and aren't using the main oval? Would be better off trying to secure funding to play low drawing games in Frankston or on the Mornington Peninsula.
It would cost bloody millions to turn the facilities of any oval at franga up too that standard. Aint gonna happen just to get a small crowd to play GWS or Suns there.
Thats a license to bleed more money.
if we dont get J.O subsided by the government and AFL we aint going nowhere.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...oorabbin-upgrade/story-fni5f9q3-1227143741764

ST KILDA says it is still committed to an $11 million redevelopment of Moorabbin even if it can slingshot into cricket’s Junction Oval project.
The Saints will break away from the Sandringham Zebras and play a stand-alone VFL side at their old ground at Linton Street from 2017.

Moorabbin will also be home to TAC Cup side Sandringham, the Southern Football League and the South Metro Junior Football League.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said on Wednesday the Saints were confident they could join cricket in the Junction Oval redevelopment given continuing talks with the Labor government.

But an architect will be appointed by the City of Kingston for the Moorabbin development by January for a project to be completed by mid-2016.

The previous State Government allocated $8 million of funding for the project earlier this year.

The Saints still train once a week at Moorabbin and believe their fans will be thrilled with a greater engagement with the much-loved ground they left for Seaford.

“We will be playing our VFL side from there in 2017 and there will be a new pavilion to house the new clubs,’’ Bains said.

Cricket Victoria has made it clear it wants to forge ahead with turning Junction Oval into an elite cricket centre without St Kilda’s involvement.

But new premier Dan Andrews said on Tuesday talks with the AFL were ongoing and Bains believes it is not too late to get involved.

do you know where the other 3m was coming from? article didnt mention and i'm struggling to remember

No idea. I could have sworn I read a while ago that the AFL had funds set aside for it as part of their community development commitments but I haven't been able to find anything confirming that.

In Jon Anderson's daily "The Whisper", in his column in the HS, he said "Cricket seems to have won the battle for Junction Oval, but don't write off St Kilda FC just yet- with the AFL committed to a return for the Saints." :thumbsu:
I have been thinking all along that the AFL would always have a say if it has to convince the other clubs to tip money into JO then they could say to CA well if we haven't got a presence there you can pay for it.

In Jon Anderson's daily "The Whisper", in his column in the HS, he said "Cricket seems to have won the battle for Junction Oval, but don't write off St Kilda FC just yet- with the AFL committed to a return for the Saints." :thumbsu:

I'm still hoping that JO falls through and the AFL decides to back an upgraded plan for Moorabbin. It wont happen but I can dream.

JO just seems like there are too many competing interests for us not to get screwed in some way. The AFL should just accept that they will be getting what they originally wanted (MCG access) without having to fork out $10m for it.

I'm still hoping that JO falls through and the AFL decides to back an upgraded plan for Moorabbin. It wont happen but I can dream.

JO just seems like there are too many competing interests for us not to get screwed in some way. The AFL should just accept that they will be getting what they originally wanted (MCG access) without having to fork out $10m for it.

I think the JO still needs AFL money. They only have 20m from labor and then minimum another 25m don't they?

I think the JO still needs AFL money. They only have 20m from labor and then minimum another 25m don't they?

$25m from Labor, $10m from Cricket which leaves them $5m short on the $40m cricket only plan Labor wants to do. The AFL could fork out the 5m but I've heard nothing saying that they have committed it to the Cricket only plan, just that they have committed $10m to a joint venture.

Agreed. I never liked the idea of the sharing JO facilities. Just seems like living under someone elses roof and asking permission to use the washing machine.

Stick that cool 10million into Moorabbin and bring us back to the ground that won us a flag.

Righto - been away for a while and haven't caught up with the various posts so forgive me ahead of time because I am about to unload on topics that may have been covered in relation to the JO development.

I have had a lot to do with the Save Albert Park group over the years. They would oppose dogs crapping in the park if they could. Their crusade has nothing to do with anything and the ones that I have dealt with have no life other than complaining. I see their point about the Grand Prix but how does our proposed move to JO draw any comparison???!!!!! Does anyone appreciate how far away from the "people" that our proposed JO development will be? Additional "traffic" and car parking will not be an issue because everyone will park at JO. There will not be any disruption to the local community. In fact any disruption will be welcomed by the local shopkeepers given the increased number of players and staff in the area during the day.

As for Dean Jones - he can get stuffed. Full of himself, two faced idiot. No one cares what you say Deano!!! That is because you are a tool!! Take your provincial attitude elsewhere. The Age must be struggling for decent articles if that rubbish makes the weekend spread. How about the Storm/Melbourne/Victory set up Deano??. Although it is getting squishy - all 3 clubs (and coaches and players) rave about the ability to work with other elite teams and swap ideas etc. Tell me Deano - why is it a bad thing for Victorian Cricketers to rub shoulders with Rooey and learn a thing or two about preparation????

Spare me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto - been away for a while and haven't caught up with the various posts so forgive me ahead of time because I am about to unload on topics that may have been covered in relation to the JO development.

I have had a lot to do with the Save Albert Park group over the years. They would oppose dogs crapping in the park if they could. Their crusade has nothing to do with anything and the ones that I have dealt with have no life other than complaining. I see their point about the Grand Prix but how does our proposed move to JO draw any comparison???!!!!! Does anyone appreciate how far away from the "people" that our proposed JO development will be? Additional "traffic" and car parking will not be an issue because everyone will park at JO. There will not be any disruption to the local community. In fact any disruption will be welcomed by the local shopkeepers given the increased number of players and staff in the area during the day.

As for Dean Jones - he can get stuffed. Full of himself, two faced idiot. No one cares what you say Deano!!! That is because you are a tool!! Take your provincial attitude elsewhere. The Age must be struggling for decent articles if that rubbish makes the weekend spread. How about the Storm/Melbourne/Victory set up Deano??. Although it is getting squishy - all 3 clubs (and coaches and players) rave about the ability to work with other elite teams and swap ideas etc. Tell me Deano - why is it a bad thing for Victorian Cricketers to rub shoulders with Rooey and learn a thing or two about preparation????

Spare me.
Jones is one person who lives in the past. me me me me.

One of my brother tells of running into Dean Jones, when Jones was still a current player for the Australian test team. My brother was standing at the bar waiting to buy a drink in Albury, when Dean Jones came and stood next to him and tried to order straight away, rather than waiting his turn. The barman served the other person, who was also waiting and when Daryl turned to see who had tried to butt in, Dean Jones thrust his hand out for a handshake and said "Dean Jones Australia". My brother advised him, that he was a w***er and Jones withdrew his hand. He has been a tosser for a long, long time.

One of my brother tells of running into Dean Jones, when Jones was still a current player for the Australian test team. My brother was standing at the bar waiting to buy a drink in Albury, when Dean Jones came and stood next to him and tried to order straight away, rather than waiting his turn. The barman served the other person, who was also waiting and when Daryl turned to see who had tried to butt in, Dean Jones thrust his hand out for a handshake and said "Dean Jones Australia". My brother advised him, that he was a ****** and Jones withdrew his hand. He has been a tosser for a long, long time.
What a flog. Need more people like Gilchrist lol.

There is a huge difference in the standard of the bloke when meeting cricketers and footballers, both afl and nrl. The cricketers are that far up their own dates it's not funny. With the exception of Andy Bichel what a great bloke.

One of my brother tells of running into Dean Jones, when Jones was still a current player for the Australian test team. My brother was standing at the bar waiting to buy a drink in Albury, when Dean Jones came and stood next to him and tried to order straight away, rather than waiting his turn. The barman served the other person, who was also waiting and when Daryl turned to see who had tried to butt in, Dean Jones thrust his hand out for a handshake and said "Dean Jones Australia". My brother advised him, that he was a ****** and Jones withdrew his hand. He has been a tosser for a long, long time.
I dont usually like to rubbish sports people when i hear of a bad meeting with them. Because basically everybody can have a bad day.Jones included.
But ive heard a few stories of Jones being a tool. And i also witnessed one first hand.
Most of us here 30 yrs old and older will remember the day Carltons Anthony Franchina tagged Nicky Winmar and to put it mildly Nicky lost it bigtime.
Nicky was always a bit of a tortured genius wasnt he.
Sure, he did have a tendency to go off the rails occasionally . But Franchina was nothing but a unskilled turd tagger. He wouldve baited Winmar badly.
Anyway my point is i was sitting near Jones that day ( he's a Blues Supporter ) and he gave Winmar probably the biggest verbal spray i have ever heard an opposition supporter give a player.
He went from hero to zero in my book that day.
Also i read his biography. TRUE he did get a raw deal with the Aussie selectors . But boy o boy he certainly doesnt let you forget about it in the book. It came across as a bit of a whinge fest.
Im not saying Winmar never did anything that mightnt have deserved the odd boo from the opposition fans. But to see a high profile sports person get stuck into him showed a lack of class IMO.

I dont usually like to rubbish sports people when i hear of a bad meeting with them. Because basically everybody can have a bad day.Jones included.
But ive heard a few stories of Jones being a tool. And i also witnessed one first hand.
Most of us here 30 yrs old and older will remember the day Carltons Anthony Franchina tagged Nicky Winmar and to put it mildly Nicky lost it bigtime.
Nicky was always a bit of a tortured genius wasnt he.
Sure, he did have a tendency to go off the rails occasionally . But Franchina was nothing but a unskilled turd tagger. He wouldve baited Winmar badly.
Anyway my point is i was sitting near Jones that day ( he's a Blues Supporter ) and he gave Winmar probably the biggest verbal spray i have ever heard an opposition supporter give a player.
He went from hero to zero in my book that day.
Also i read his biography. TRUE he did get a raw deal with the Aussie selectors . But boy o boy he certainly doesnt let you forget about it in the book. It came across as a bit of a whinge fest.
Im not saying Winmar never did anything that mightnt have deserved the odd boo from the opposition fans. But to see a high profile sports person get stuck into him showed a lack of class IMO.

I was at that game and met my future wife that night when out drowning my sorrows after going with Carlton supporter mates. I remember on radio hearing Rex Hunt making racial links to his temperament that day and pressuring the Saints to dump him. Dean Jones was always a whinger.

I heard Tony Dodemaide on SEN, I heard him say there are still other interested parties coming on board...I'd say it's a fairly sure bet the AFL will chip in a huge swag to get the saints out of Seaford

Was he talking about find the $5m of funding that Cricket still needs for a stand alone development or about a joint venture with the AFL?

I don't see why the AFL wouldn't just spend that money to send us home to Moorabbin instead. Cricket doesn't want us there so screw 'em. The AFL gets what they want (cricket out of the MCG) and all funds go to improving a struggling AFL club without any money going to help other organisations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back