Discussion Junction Oval / Moorabbin redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't give a rats arse where the players want to hang out... Or if there is a latte shop to sip at for 21yo kids with some cash....

Isolated?!... Is a thirty minute drive really 'isolated'???!
Living in fnq is isolated, on the nullabour, or near Broome, that's isolated
But not half an hour down nepean hwy... First world issues IMO

There are players on the list who live at Beamaris, Aspendale, Mordiallic, Mt Eliza, Seaford ... What's hilarious, is that if they move to the JO... A place we got out of, in order to grow the club... They'd have 45m in peak hour to deal with...

My guess is that it's the high paid established stars who live in Port Melbourne who are making any noises

Kids out of TACcup teams.... Are just happy kicking the footy for a living. And would be rapt with an elite facility.

JO would join a long list of short term knee jerk bad decisions .... Made to appease current players... And supporters
Leaving Tassie I thought took the cake... But leaving a community witha useless 15M training facility we pushed for, to spend a load more money we don't have on another... To have our players happy at training is hilarious.

I couldn't give a rats arse where the players want to hang out... Or if there is a latte shop to sip at for 21yo kids with some cash....

There are players on the list who live at Beamaris, Aspendale, Mordiallic, Mt Eliza, Seaford ... What's hilarious, is that if they move to the JO... A place we got out of, in order to grow the club... They'd have 45m in peak hour to deal with...

My guess is that it's the high paid established stars who live in Port Melbourne who are making any noises

Kids out of TACcup teams.... Are just happy kicking the footy for a living. And would be rapt with an elite facility.

JO would join a long list of short term knee jerk bad decisions .... Made to appease current players... And supporters
Leaving Tassie I thought took the cake... But leaving a community witha useless 15M training facility we pushed for, to spend a load more money we don't have on another... To have our players happy at training is hilarious.
Wow. Your negativity appears to know now bounds.

Never positive about stupidity

I wasn't positive (unlike most fans) about abandoning Tassie... Most fans lauded the decision hoping it would secure a couple of cheap under the roof wins.... In hindsight it was an embarrassing decision.

To go to all that trouble, walking out of Moorabbin because of Pokies, even though we held a lease there...

Pour money into Seaford, and convince Frankston council to pump 5M in also....

To walk away after 4 or 5 years... Either says
Hideous decision ATT or another 'can't see the forest' decision coming, yet again

It's a training ground FFS

The fuss around it is a joke

If we use the JO for family days and open trainings i couldn't care less

But to have OUR own purpose built (ground size) elite facilitity for training and development is important IMO
Where it is, is less important IMO

thing is

Must be difficult, having to come up with bullsh*t continually to defend poor decision making... Rather than admit.

How will being at JO help our players improve

I believe periphery, there was a blow out in costs... With construction. Which is why Frankston Park was abandoned...

But that also suggests, not a dollar has been spent since construction?

Either way, it's an expensive exercise to walk away from... No?

I believe periphery, there was a blow out in costs... With construction. Which is why Frankston Park was abandoned...

But that also suggests, not a dollar has been spent since construction?

Either way, it's an expensive exercise to walk away from... No?

The Frankston Park plans fell through after they discovered that they'd need to upgrade the drains in the area to the tune of $4-5m extra.

The costs of the Seaford location were actually cut during the process from just over $10m to $9.5m and from what I know that is the reason why we don't have a full length pool amongst other things.

As far as I know I don't think there has been any extra development since the initial construction, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Either way, the club clearly think it's an asset that is not worth persisting with, so instead of putting good money after bad we looking to cut our losses and move elsewhere. It's not the ideal situation and I'd be surprised if you'd find anyone on here that thinks moving from Moorabbin was a good idea, but sometimes you just need to take a loss to improve your situation in the long run.

I wasn't positive (unlike most fans) about abandoning Tassie... Most fans lauded the decision hoping it would secure a couple of cheap under the roof wins.... In hindsight it was an embarrassing decision.

To go to all that trouble, walking out of Moorabbin because of Pokies, even though we held a lease there...

Hideous decision ATT or another 'can't see the forest' decision coming, yet again

But to have OUR own purpose built (ground size) elite facilitity for training and development is important IMO

thing is

Must be difficult, having to come up with bullsh*t continually to defend poor decision making... Rather than admit.

Its not about having to come up with bs to defend poor decision making. Its about recognizing where we are and investing some faith in our club.

I have a close relative who follows the saints. He is the reason that I follow the club. I'm a lot younger than him and I often try to engage him by telling him about the positive things the club is doing. His response is predictable, as I've noticed yours are, along the lines of "well we arent going to win a flag any time soon, blah blah blah"...

Personally I've had about enough of supporters like that. If you support the saints, then be positive about it. But if cant stand what we're about then go join the Collingwood board.

thing is

You won't find many people to argue with you about Seaford being a stupid decision. They should have held firm on rebuilding moorabin. I think the thing that junction oval offers over the suburbs is it would look fantastic for our corporate image having an in your face inner city oval with a strong presence. They would really be training on the oval next door while sharing a training facility with cricket like Collingwood do with olympic park. It is symbolic of a grown up club not some humble third tier club hiding down a suburban back street. The beach is a few minutes away, gets back to our naming suburb and just generally looks like a leap forwarding a bold direction. F$#@ being humble as a club I want domination.

I posted this link before but I think it's worth looking at again: https://www.evalua.com.au/etb/king/ExternalTenderDetails.htm?id=1070498

It's a tender for "Architectural Design Services - Proposed Sporting Pavilion, Linton Street Reserve Moorabbin" from Sept-Oct 2014.

If the Moorabbin redevelopment hasn't changed then isn't this very late to start the design process? The original idea was to finish it by 2016 and we only heard about the delay to 2017 in August 2014. I would assume that by this stage the design work for the initial plan would have been done. As far as I know it had no issues with funding and was going to happen regardless of what happened with JO, so while there are many reasons this stuff can be delayed, I just feel that the most likely explanation for all this is that the plans have significantly changed.

I could be clutching at straws here, but the whole thing just fits together too well and makes me feel that Moorabbin will be our new home: Moorabbin gets delayed right around the time that JO starts to look a bit iffy, JO falling over frees up $10m of AFL funding and now there is a tender put out for architects for Moorabbin much later than I would have thought would happen.

Can anyone here with experience in this area explain what they think of any of this?

Peri Peri delivers some bloody good sauce!!!!

well done my man!!!

hang on...since when are we parting with money for moorabin or the junction oval?

You won't find many people to argue with you about Seaford being a stupid decision. They should have held firm on rebuilding moorabin. I think the thing that junction oval offers over the suburbs is it would look fantastic for our corporate image having an in your face inner city oval with a strong presence. They would really be training on the oval next door while sharing a training facility with cricket like Collingwood do with olympic park. It is symbolic of a grown up club not some humble third tier club hiding down a suburban back street. The beach is a few minutes away, gets back to our naming suburb and just generally looks like a leap forwarding a bold direction. F$#@ being humble as a club I want domination.
I dont think people realize just how behind Moorabbin was in terms of facilities even just before we moved. Seaford might seem stupid now but it was a massive upgrade on a place that was being screwed around by every other party at the time.

I also like people who take the notion that the players would prefer to be in a place with nice surrounds that allow them to escape from the rigors of training that much easier as being fanciful and they should just suck it up. News flash, no one has left yet because of the lack of coffee shops but there is no denying that a better area to go to makes a better work environment for everyone.

Peri Peri delivers some bloody good sauce!!!!

well done my man!!!

Thanks. It's amazing what you can find on google with the right search parameters.

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions from that though. There are a number of reasons that could explain why the tender is going out so late that don't involve us going back there and most of what I wrote there is just guesswork and speculation. It's still an interesting piece of the puzzle though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks. It's amazing what you can find on google with the right search parameters.

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions from that though. There are a number of reasons that could explain why the tender is going out so late that don't involve us going back there and most of what I wrote there is just guesswork and speculation. It's still an interesting piece of the puzzle though.
We need finalisation to install the waterslide is all.

I dont think people realize just how behind Moorabbin was in terms of facilities even just before we moved. Seaford might seem stupid now but it was a massive upgrade on a place that was being screwed around by every other party at the time.

I also like people who take the notion that the players would prefer to be in a place with nice surrounds that allow them to escape from the rigors of training that much easier as being fanciful and they should just suck it up. News flash, no one has left yet because of the lack of coffee shops but there is no denying that a better area to go to makes a better work environment for everyone.

Moorabin was a cold war bunker when we left. It needed a serious upgrade, the gym was rusty and shabby and the whole place was a disgrace for a club that was in the finals.

The thing about a facility like Seaford is it can't help project an image that defines the club. It's in an awkward spot and is isolated, even Moorabin is in the back streets of a faded old suburb. It's like if you run you business from you home garage, it's possible but it represents what you see yourself as.

It looks to me like we don't want to put ourselves out there but in the process it says to the psyche of players that we are small time and down the rungs in the pecking order. Players go and do altitude training with the improvement likely to be in single digit percentages. Something like a junction redevelopment set a high expectation IMO. Seaford won't scare off new recruits but it may entice guys to move across when they have a few choices. A great environment is harder to leave from swell. It won't make us the biggest team in AFL or attract a bunch of stars but it might help contribute to our future advancement.

Did anyone here choose their job on location?

Me, I went... satisfaction, people, money, condition, opportunity
Location never even was considered... I travel 25minutes along east link... Listen to the radio and start work

When you're at work, you're at work.... Wouldn't matter if it was StK, Frankston, Paris or London... Your working?

The commute is what most can't stand... And most move closer to their job... Not move their job to their house!

Working in the City would be horrible for those poor bastards that come from SE or over the Westgate.... Just a joke the commute

Stk is worse because there is no train stop there..

Last edited:
Gold 104.3 just announced that the Saints are their pick for 'having a very bad day' today...

Stay tuned...

EDIT: Ah. Only that Dan Andrews won't finance the move to the Junction.

Carry on.

Gold 104.3 just announced that the Saints are their pick for 'having a very bad day' today...

Stay tuned...

EDIT: Ah. Only that Dan Andrews won't finance the move to the Junction.

Carry on.

Was hoping it was only this. That 'very bad day' was the 29 November 2014 so they're a little late to the party!

Was hoping it was only this. That 'very bad day' was the 29 November 2014 so they're a little late to the party!
If saints really wanted to raise the money they could go to their major ticker holders and ask them to donate it, it's all tax deductable under the John Howard's sports devolpment act, however if saints was to ask them for money I would hope we spend it on Reducing our debt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back