News Saints to play ANZAC Day & home matches in New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

5 year extension signed to Anzac Day game to 2018 (previously a 3 year agreement to 2015 with the option of multiple games in a year).

Given our financial position, this appears very helpful - and also gives sponsors some extra exposure.
That's quite surprising that they have agreed to that long. This year could end up being a decline in local interest due to perceived novelty factor wearing off.

That's quite surprising that they have agreed to that long. This year could end up being a decline in local interest due to perceived novelty factor wearing off.

I reckon you will find a lot of aussie AFL fans over there who will come watch simply because they dont get to see AFL teams play often if ever.

Does anyone remember the attendance from this year?

Does anyone know what kind of exposure this game gets over in NZ?

Was it on the news? in the major papers? Did the general public know about it

Even before the success of this year's game (with all merchandise being sold out), the club wanted the Anzac game to become a permanent fixture - they had a 10+ year horizon.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ive-more-seasons/story-fniv6eot-1226733474845

The new five-year deal will guarantee $2.5 million and lock in AFL matches at Wellington’s Westpac Stadium until 2018.

The Saints have requested next year’s match be against the Brisbane Lions and are keen on playing a Victorian team in 2015.

The Saints will play just one game a season in Wellington but the deal includes a review period after 2015 to determine the fixturing of further matches in New Zealand.

The St Kilda-Sydney match in April drew a crowd of 22,183 and had an estimated $9 million tourism impact on the city of Wellington.

AFL international development manager, Tony Woods, said: “Following the overwhelming success of this year’s Anzac Day match in Wellington and the support it received from New Zealand and Australian fans who both attended and watched the game, the AFL welcomes this long-term agreement.

“Significantly, the five-year deal locks in the centennial anniversary of Anzac Day in 2015.”

Even if the Kiwis lose interest and we end up with only have 3 expats and a sheep at the game, the money from the AFL for just playing there will be extremely bloody important to us.
Choice Bro:thumbsu:

Walking the streets when I was there to watch the game I was wearing my scarf and a lot of the locals seemed to have embraced it and were asking me about the game and whether they should go and what not. A lot of the local bars and what not got involved as well with the Saints and we had about 8 or 9 dedicated pubs that were draped in everything to do with St Kilda.

Does anyone know what kind of exposure this game gets over in NZ?

Was it on the news? in the major papers? Did the general public know about it
I didn't go, but from people that did go, apparently there was a lot of red, white and black around the place. I know the Saints did a few interviews for local news stations and just generally, people seemed excited about it.

Of course, this is second hand info. I'm hoping to go next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crowd was about two-thirds Kiwi. And they were a reasonably knowledgeable crowd.

Next week ANZAC Day falls on the Friday after Easter, meaning many may go over for a week for an extended holiday. I expect a bigger crowd and economic impact next year.

Wellington is a great place, and I can highly recommend making the trip.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-07/nz-deal-a-point-of-difference-for-saints

Nettlefold “Last year we delivered somewhere in the order of $8.5 million worth of economic value to Wellington. As well as that we delivered $9 million worth of media exposure for Wellington back in Australia."

“The economics are really strong, we had almost 3000 members go across the Tasman for the game last year on Anzac Day.”

"We had almost 5000 Australians across there last year. It is an extraordinary outcome.”

There was a fair bit of press but nothing to the level of a rugby game. More due to the novelty than anything else I guess.

Although having it on free to air TV if it continues next year should give it a boost

Added bonus: Marketing maybe we should try and get Sonny Bill Williams in the Red White and Black too.

Awkward size, shape and position. Doesn't have a kicking game either.

Israel Dagg or Ben Smith would suit much better. Hosea Gear if he's not buggered off to France Yet.

This is hypothetical, yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back