News Saints to play ANZAC Day & home matches in New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
THE Brisbane Lions have emerged as the front-runners to travel to New Zealand next season to take on St Kilda as part of an Anzac Day double-header which last night received the thumbs up from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.
The historic international fixture now looks certain to go ahead. The AFL and the Saints have held talks over the past 24 hours with a visiting delegation from Wellington and will play host to the group today, led by prominent Wellington politician and former international cricketer John Morrison.
The delegation will attend the Collingwood-Essendon clash today as guests of the competition and St Kilda, which is looking to secure financial backing to open its New Zealand campaign at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.
Advertisement: Story continues below
St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold said the club was pushing to play only on Anzac Day for premiership points next season and had cut back its ambitions for a future four-game season package in Wellington to three, with the Saints hopeful of that extended deal falling into place by 2014.
Brisbane Lions football boss Dean Warren confirmed his club had some interest in taking the ''away'' team spot in 2013 in what is shaping up as a night game following the Essendon-Collingwood game.

THE Brisbane Lions have emerged as the front-runners to travel to New Zealand next season to take on St Kilda as part of an Anzac Day double-header which last night received the thumbs up from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

Well that's a relief. Wouldn't want to upset Eddie. :rolleyes:

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Well that's a relief. Wouldn't want to upset Eddie. :rolleyes:

What about this comment by him.....

''Good luck to them. It wouldn't worry me, and as long as the game fitted in with broadcasting requirements and fits in with our game, we'd have no problem with it.''

So just goes to show Collingwood/Eddie run the AFL all sudden.. Only way it would fit in with Pies game is if it started at 8.00pm and that would be about 6pm Victorian Time...

Stuff Eddie, play the game in the afternoon and go H2H with them. Not everyone wants to watch Ferals & Bombers play football.

Ok it must have changed cos I went over with my family bout 10 years ago and we didn't need passports. Just drivers licenses for the adults!
You do need a passport, but Aussies get treated the same as Kiwis, it's really quick. They didn't even check my bag when I went this year

What about this comment by him.....

''Good luck to them. It wouldn't worry me, and as long as the game fitted in with broadcasting requirements and fits in with our game, we'd have no problem with it.''

So just goes to show Collingwood/Eddie run the AFL all sudden.. Only way it would fit in with Pies game is if it started at 8.00pm and that would be about 6pm Victorian Time...

Stuff Eddie, play the game in the afternoon and go H2H with them. Not everyone wants to watch Ferals & Bombers play football.

Could play it before easily. 11am start our time, would be 1pm start in NZ.

Would love to go head to head against them though, just to upset Eddie.

CROZZA

Rookie
Sep 22, 2010
Churchill
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Everton
Id definately go over to NZ for a few matches, especially if they play a few in the middle of the season, say round 10-15. make a couple of weeks of it and hit up the snow for a bit, itd be great i reckon

With AFL/Club backing there could actually be something similar to what cricket do with the Ashes tours in promoting Aussies going over to NZ for the ANZAC fixture as well, a promotions event on the back of it, at least initially anyway seems the norm to promote interest and an "ease of use" to get in.

samwise

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
MAN U! COLTS! MAVERICKS!
Think it would be awesome definitely a good move as long as the AFL give us a fixture that leaves us with a good amount of time between the games before and after.

Just curious, do the cheer squad have to pay for their flights and accommodation?

krusden

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2008
34 55' 54"S, 138 36'04" E
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
When they're not belting us, NZ
With AFL/Club backing there could actually be something similar to what cricket do with the Ashes tours in promoting Aussies going over to NZ for the ANZAC fixture as well, a promotions event on the back of it, at least initially anyway seems the norm to promote interest and an "ease of use" to get in.

I like your thinking.

Run a promo for members with flight and hotel packages and the possibility of going is heightened.

Just curious, do the cheer squad have to pay for their flights and accommodation?

Don't see why not, they are still just a supporter group and a bay at a ground is a hell of a lot cheaper than a return flight and hospitality.

I like your thinking.

Run a promo for members with flight and hotel packages and the possibility of going is heightened.

Indeed, they could even offer incentives for business with private jets/functions in conjunction with anything NZ might wish to offer on the ground (ie if they wish to grow an industry in co-op), could also tie into membership for those on the ground as well, something like Aus citizen + current member = upgraded seating, pregame contact with players or etc

Such a venture to a previously "untapped" area is a perfect time for these entities to really involve their core supporter base and spruik their brand in the process.

Superduperouzel

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
Germany
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Pauli FC, Hibernian FC
I´m in favor of this. A great initiative to get our game out there.
I would think New Zealand people would be respectful of it given the occasion.
Today´s game was nothing short of amazing between the Bombers and Pies.
Even as a non supporter of both clubs it was incredibly tense and big respect to the efforts of both teams. Well done!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many media personalities and football enthusiasts are critical of the exclusivity that Essendon and Collingwood hold on the ANZAC day fixture.

Instead of whinging about it, the Saints are using their initiative to try and capitalize on this opportunity by creating a feature event in New Zealand.

Now I know a lot of us will not have the ready cash to go to this event every year, but some of us might.

I certainly would consider going and incorporating the match in a tourist holiday of NZ. Take a few weeks off and live it up. The NZ tourism board might find that this becomes a real boon for their country.

The Saints might create a special NZ membership package to attract a new market and they might do preseason meet and greets there too.

Superduperouzel

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
Germany
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Pauli FC, Hibernian FC
I certainly would consider going and incorporating the match in a tourist holiday of NZ. Take a few weeks off and live it up. The NZ tourism board might find that this becomes a real boon for their country.

The Saints might create a special NZ membership package to attract a new market and they might do preseason meet and greets there too .[/quote]

That is a really good idea btw. Some people are sports fans(even in All Black land) and might enjoy seeing a good high standard game of AFL.
As an alternative to travelling to ANZAC cove , Turkey, fans and travellers could also take the opportunity to visit NZ. I´d certainly consider going if the Saints were playing.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would definately go. A pitty the ski season is not up and running at this time of year (I assume). Perhaps they could have a second match in NZ around the time of the bye? Could get a one or two week's skiing in on either side of the match to match the bye. Red white and black beanies covering the slopes!

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
First of all, you have to pick your fights. No point trying to change what already happens on ANZAC Day. The game yesterday was done and dusted by 5:30pm AEST, so a 7:40pm start in Wellington would be fine.

Many media personalities and football enthusiasts are critical of the exclusivity that Essendon and Collingwood hold on the ANZAC day fixture.

Instead of whinging about it, the Saints are using their initiative to try and capitalize on this opportunity by creating a feature event in New Zealand.

Now I know a lot of us will not have the ready cash to go to this event every year, but some of us might.

The Saints might create a special NZ membership package to attract a new market and they might do preseason meet and greets there too.

i have already decided to go next year if the saints play in NZ. and already have my mum and my partner interested.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20120426100206912

AFL Match in NZ even closer
Thursday, April 26 2012 @ 10:15 AM EST

Contributed by: Rod Shaw

Views: 275

The AFL have formally backed the bid from NZ to host a Premiership game, subject to finances. With St Kilda keen to play next year in Wellington on Anzac Day two potential opponents have come forward in Sydney and Brisbane. With NZ backers John Morrison and John Dow at this year’s Anzac Game viewing a thrilling one point win from Collingwood over Essendon they couldn’t help but leaving even further impressed.

It would be the first premiership game played outside Australia and, as the proposed fixture starts to generate headlines in Melbourne, talks are continuing towards a long-term, strategic partnership between Wellington, St Kilda and the AFL.

Wellington City Council sports and events portfolio leader John Morrison, and businessman John Dow, are in Melbourne for three days of meetings with St Kilda and the AFL.

From the back page of todays’s Dominion Post newspaper in Wellington Morrison stressed how serious St Kilda and the AFL were about expanding into Wellington. "It really has been overwhelming in terms of their positive approach to it," he said. "The key really is both parties are talking about long-term relationships so it's not one-off, festival game stuff.".........

another article

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...da-seek-long-term-AFL-liaison-with-Wellington

St Kilda seek long-term AFL liaison with Wellington
SAM WORTHINGTON Last updated 05:00 26/04/2012SharePrint Text Size 7 comments Getty ImagesNZ LINK: St Kilda Saints and Sydney Swans players compete for the ball.Relevant offersBrisbane and Sydney have emerged as willing opponents for St Kilda as plans firm towards a historic AFL game at Wellington's Westpac Stadium on Anzac Day next year. ..........

aidancdaman

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Auckland
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry to wade into an opposition board discussion, but even as an Essendon supporter, if the Saints were to go ahead with this initiative, I'd make I sign up to any potential membership package and make the trek from Auckland to Wellington, and encourage footy-watching mates and family to do likewise. On a survey on the Dominion Post Website, from 300 or so votes, 70% said they'd definitely go and have a look, 20% would go if affordable and 10% wouldn't. Only a small survey sample out of the Wellington metro area's 400,000 population, but still positive reading.

Oct 1, 2010
Vermont
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic, Glasgow Warriors, Wolves
Sorry to wade into an opposition board discussion, but even as an Essendon supporter, if the Saints were to go ahead with this initiative, I'd make I sign up to any potential membership package and make the trek from Auckland to Wellington, and encourage footy-watching mates and family to do likewise. On a survey on the Dominion Post Website, from 300 or so votes, 70% said they'd definitely go and have a look, 20% would go if affordable and 10% wouldn't. Only a small survey sample out of the Wellington metro area's 400,000 population, but still positive reading.

It's no problem whatsoever to come into a discussion if you contribute without being rude. And your post was far from it!

TBH, I think that's the key, in getting people interested enough to have a look., and going by prices here (especially Kids) it should be affordable.

I've got relatives in Aukland who are already planning to do the same as you (daughter lives in Aus and got them watching teh footy), even better, their saints fans!

Oct 1, 2010
Vermont
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic, Glasgow Warriors, Wolves
So this is the current situation:

Saints planning to host ANZAC day match in New Zealand

AFL are in support of these Plans

Wellington officials, watched this years ANZAC match, and seem to be pleased

Match would be played at the "Cake Tin" in Wellington.

Opposition would be either Brisbane or Sydney, with Brisbane appearing to be the front runner at this stage.

This ANZAC game, if successful, may turn into 3 games, which has the potential for a membership scheme.

Match is likely to be played after the Collingwood/Essendon Match, making a 7.45pm (5.45pm AEST) bounce off a likely time.

Game may be part of a triple header, with the Rebels playing the Hurricanes and the Vixens playing the NZ team (cant remember the name for the
life of me)

General interest in Wellington and New Zealand seems high.

I think this is an excellent idea. Great for both the AFL and ST. Kilda. I lived with a Maori who loves Aussie Rules because of how different the game is. My auntys husband is a New Zealander and his mum loves watching Aussie rules on the TV over there, even though she has no idea what the rules are, she loves how fast paced it is and the goal umpires with the way the signal goals and points. Even though rugby is massive over there, I'm sure there would be adequate interest.

Back