Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Excited to see Newnes getting more confident with every game

Gotta laugh when people knock McCartin listened to Wayne Carey & Jono Brown talk about their early games
Brown ... Hopeless
Carey ....Taken off touched the ball very few times.

Love Jack. Didn't see a lot of it today from memory but one thing I really like about him is when he tackles, the opposition stays tackled. He really hits them hard.

You forget that he's only played 50 games. Still a baby, 22.

Also let's not forget Riewoldts debut, 3 disposal 1 mark.

Lol it's funny how if Shenton or Schneider make a blue, we make sure we really drive the point home....

However if one of the board favourites is burning the footy it isn't mentioned

Lonie went at 40% last week
Newnes went at 60% last week.

Billings went at 57% this week. Savage went at 55%.

Schneider was one of our best in round 1, and was again one or our best today.
I'm a 6-7 year lurker, and have my own opinions. Been drinking all night which is the reason i'm posting here now. I am certainly not crazy positive for players that don't deserve it though.

Shenten was very decent for the first half of the first quarter tonight then really didn't do much, but screwed it up when he got it. He really did seem to to do a pretty great job last week though. To me, Weller did his usual effort this week but only compared to Shenten's effort last week.

In my opinion as previously I kept seeing Schneider being caught with the ball when he thought he had more time than he did. I just did not see him do anything good.

Lonie is a newbie. I honestly don't recall him being particularly good last week, and definitely not this week. if he was only 40% I can take that with his position given his substitution this week.

Newnes has been very disappointing, i think. I have him in my SC team myself so I have paid that extra bit of attention, but he just doesn't seem to have been playing as a midfielder from a lot of what i've seen. The first round he had 4 frees against from ducking players and I think that that may have put him off his full assault mode.

I admit I generally don't know what position players are playing, despite watching the game veryclose, but was Newnes playing mostly back tonight? If felt like it, but I think we really need to see him at the bounce as No. 2 Jack

Shenton was good to start with,

Lonie wasn't great tonight at all

I'm a 6-7 year lurker, and have my own opinions. Been drinking all night which is the reason i'm posting here now. I am certainly not crazy positive for players that don't deserve it though.

Shenten was very decent for the first half of the first quarter tonight then really didn't do much, but screwed it up when he got it. He really did seem to to do a pretty great job last week though. To me, Weller did his usual effort this week but only compared to Shenten's effort last week.

In my opinion as previously I kept seeing Schneider being caught with the ball when he thought he had more time than he did. I just did not see him do anything good.

Lonie is a newbie. I honestly don't recall him being particularly good last week, and definitely not this week. if he was only 40% I can take that with his position given his substitution this week.

Newnes has been very disappointing, i think. I have him in my SC team myself so I have paid that extra bit of attention, but he just doesn't seem to have been playing as a midfielder from a lot of what i've seen. The first round he had 4 frees against from ducking players and I think that that may have put him off his full assault mode.

I admit I generally don't know what position players are playing, despite watching the game veryclose, but was Newnes playing mostly back tonight? If felt like it, but I think we really need to see him at the bounce as No. 2 Jack

Points well made mate.

I think it would've been very very hard to be a back last night. Ball got pumped in 77 times under very little pressure and often caught 1 on 1. To be honest I think all the backs were serviceable.

I think Newnes has been quite good for the past two weeks. He's definitely playing up the ground more than last year.

I think that might be effecting his kicking somewhat as he isn't getting as much time to measure his kicks forward of centre. This would be effecting his SC score.

He had 3 goal assists last night.

Hilarious views on Schnieder. I think people are just annoyed because he's in the side. But are not actually looking at overall outpit.
For instance saying he played outside when half of his touches were contested?

First 2 games
50poss
9 tackles
2 goals

If he isn't in the side and Templeton, Curren, Minchinton or DMac are in... We lose by more...
If they are not as good.. They don't play. If any of those players got 28 we'd flip out.

Question
If Membrey cannot kick because he's played only 4 games... How did he kick that goal from 50?

Experience effects decision making... Not sure how it effects executing a skill? That has more to do with technique, talent and preparation.
Roo and Cloke have played a bit... They miss simple goals.
Are you serious?

I said I can afford a 4th game player making an error in the 3rd quarter. A 200 game veteran making it in the 1st quarter when we have all the momentum is a different thing all together.

Get some perspective

Are you serious?

I said I can afford a 4th game player making an error in the 3rd quarter. A 200 game veteran making it in the 1st quarter when we have all the momentum is a different thing all together.

Get some perspective

Just trying to understand your point.

I think we all recognise it was a terrible error and very frustrating.

However are you suggesting we drop him from the team despite him going on to being one of our best?

I think Paddy will be judged harshly because he's supposed to be an elite talent.
That's the pressure a number 1 draft pick carries

If you have been selected in front of every other kid... Signs of special talent is expected

Not necessarily realistic.

Concerning for me after a number of games... Is that he drops a lot of marks... And I'm yet to evidence of the great hands he's reknowned for... It's not something he has to develop, it's what defines him.

But as his fitness base and strength increases his confidence and belief will improve.

Jack Watts and Tom Scully also had th same expectation .... And it was hoped they would have developed

Taking Goddard instead of Wells Goddard, during 2005 was considered a mistake.

Cooney, Murphy and Delidio carried the pressure and delivered.

Thing is with Paddy, he is playing in the toughest position on the ground for a young player to deliver... Power Forward

He will take a little while

Shenten was very decent for the first half of the first quarter tonight then really didn't do much, but screwed it up when he got it. He really did seem to to do a pretty great job last week though. To me, Weller did his usual effort this week but without the possessions and really didn't end up with any real result.

In my opinion as previously mentioned I kept seeing Schneider being caught with the ball when he thought he had more time than he did. I just did not see him do anything good an tall.

Lonie is a newbie. I honestly don't recall him being particularly good last week, and definitely not this week, but that his basing him off a general football team, and not just a 3rd game player. He definitely has some talent, but Sinclair is by far and away the more talented player at this point in time.

Newnes has been very disappointing, i think. I have him in my SC team myself so I have paid that extra bit of attention, but he just doesn't seem to have been playing as a midfielder enough pf the to,e from a lot of what i've seen. The first round he had 4 frees against from ducking players and I think that that may have put him off his full assault mode. He's just been out of the center contests too much.

I admit I generally don't know what position players are playing, despite watching every game very close, but was Newnes playing mostly back tonight, or otherwise a position that was not center?

On a positive note, how ******* good is Armo going ATM!? The man is a beast & has stepped into Lenny's shoes almost to the extent that Lenny hasn't left yet. The hardness, pressure & drive coming from Armo is a credit to himself will be a huge barometer for us for the rest of the season. Very happy to have another such competitive warrior stand up to fill a void left by one of our club faves in Lenny.

Keep it up Armo!

Totally agree.

Early in the season but without a doubt that he's taken his game to a new level.

I'm certain he's as fit as he has ever been as well based on his TOG stats.. Well up on last year (under 70% last year ~) and the highest it's ever been in his career.

My main gripe on Armitage over the years is that he seems to go missing a bit, which comes down to work rate. So he'd have a really big quarter and threaten to really take the game by the scruff of the neck then you wouldn't see him for 15 minutes.

That's not been happening this season, and it's reflective in how much of the footy he's finding. He didn't hit 30 once last season (29 twice). Already hit it twice this year.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

I can't believe people are wanting to drop Schneider.

He's been one of our better players in both games. We are already playing a heap of kids, but we need experienced heads around them or else it just gets uglier!

Yep. 100% correct.

Most on here were unhappy with his performances last year as well. I thought when he played he was generally pretty good.

Despite what some want you to believe, he is a good kick and is a good creator. Injuries have been cruel to him but I'm assuming he had a full pre-season and is now somewhere near his best.

Also he's a goal kicker, we need those.

So Rors

A 200 game player can't make an offensive mistake? Never happens??

Time of the game??? WTF

Let's look at the horrendous incident (something I've seen a hundred stk veterens stuff up over time)

Had the ball on the wing. In an aggressive position. Stk Was running and gunning offensively... Moving it quickly and taking risks.

He had four options
1) slow play kick down the line to a contest
2) kick to CHF/HFF to a Leading target
3) corridor the ball to open up the fwd line
4) hold it up, switch back to CHB if they have folded back.. Further switch to other wing or catty through the Middle.

I'd suggest from that part of the ground with the ball in the right hands, we are encouraged to move it fwd quickly and aggressively (unless we are playing tempo) the option of going to the HF line is dangerous as that's where the numbers flood to...so an inside switch and kick over the HF line would be trained. Problem was, the option was covered and Adam missed a risky kick by a couple of meters.
His time again, he'd bomb fwd to a contest on the HFF (if there was a target there?)

Btw

Nick R had a slow play mark vs GC last week
He went back, did a 35m chip down the line, off one step to the wing to a GC player uncontested. It was a poor decision and execution.. He has played 284

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce and Membrey good again with limited opportunities.

Paddy was fine, obviously nervous but showed enough. You're not going to dominate a match as a first game key forward.

Roberton back to some really good form.

Disappointing to see the path that Pendlebury is going down. Should be ashamed of himself but can you really blame him when the AFL reward it.

Off the top of my head can't think of a worse kick for goal during my time watching footy than Cloke. Never seen a player miss so many shots from 10m out.

Agree on Duck Pendles constant dropping of the head.

Cloke is over rated.

Savage is set to become one of most important players.

We stopped running and creating after quarter time.

Not going to blame individuals because its a team effort - the sum total of everyone's effort.

They kept trying, so can't fault that.

Schnieder was good with some mistakes and I thought Shenton was very solid most of the night. I thought it was interesting watching Gwilt play for Essendon last week. He was playing Shenton's role with the same results last year, this year the spread happens for him and the ball is moved quickly back into Essendon's forward line even with Hawks pressure. The kick in's have to go somewhere and the coaches know kicking up the guts will probably end in the same result, the ball will come back over their heads. We don't spread and there is no one to kick to because they won't find space out on the boundary. It's probably youth but not finding space on the MCG is disappointing. The kick that was chopped off by Swan was called play on after about 2 seconds (never left his line as he was flat footed) was poor umpiring.

Schneider is probably as good as he ever was, he makes mistakes but his last 2 games have been very good. Newnes is not a centre square mid, he was alway moving into a wing position this year.

Overall we just failed to play a team game after quarter time. The quick movement forward dropped off and we just stopped running. Extremely disappointed by the result which was heavily snuffed by some very one sided umpiring.

St Luke

Your agenda obviously runs deeper in this debate with me than whether or not Schnieds played ok

Most of the personal stuff you mentioned about me, is obviously irreleven and clutching at straws

He had good numbers in a losing team as a HHF pushing up through the middle.
He got in the best players in all media.
Besides the few flogs on here trying their best to prove me wrong... Most have agreed he was clearly in our best 6 players
Armo, Roberton, Steven, Schnieder, Savage, Dunstan IMO
With Membrey and Sinclair impressive.

Don't concede though... It'd be better to wrong than agree with anything I say...

I think Paddy will be judged harshly because he's supposed to be an elite talent.
That's the pressure a number 1 draft pick carries

If you have been selected in front of every other kid... Signs of special talent is expected

Not necessarily realistic.

Concerning for me after a number of games... Is that he drops a lot of marks... And I'm yet to evidence of the great hands he's reknowned for... It's not something he has to develop, it's what defines him.

But as his fitness base and strength increases his confidence and belief will improve.

Jack Watts and Tom Scully also had th same expectation .... And it was hoped they would have developed

Taking Goddard instead of Wells Goddard, during 2005 was considered a mistake.

Cooney, Murphy and Delidio carried the pressure and delivered.

Thing is with Paddy, he is playing in the toughest position on the ground for a young player to deliver... Power Forward

He will take a little while

I'm not worried on that game , second efforts were good and he did get in some dangerous spots. He will be better with Rooey to take the best defender. He looked really nervous at the first open training but now looks pretty comfortable at the club. He seems a really solid guy mentally and I saw enough to feel he'll be okay. I was one who wanted to Petracca but since we picked up Paddy he hasn't put a foot wrong. I'm very happy with him. I really rated Mc Carthy from GWS he must be in about his 3rd year and he's just come good and looks better than Cameron in 2015. Big forwards are going to take time.

St Luke

Your agenda obviously runs deeper in this debate with me than whether or not Schnieds played ok

Most of the personal stuff you mentioned about me, is obviously irreleven and clutching at straws

He had good numbers in a losing team as a HHF pushing up through the middle.
He got in the best players in all media.
Besides the few flogs on here trying their best to prove me wrong... Most have agreed he was clearly in our best 6 players
Armo, Roberton, Steven, Schnieder, Savage, Dunstan IMO
With Membrey and Sinclair impressive.

Don't concede though... It'd be better to wrong than agree with anything I say...

I actually agree with you for a change. I think Schnieder was probably in our best few players last night. I spoke to a few players at preseason training and all were saying Schnieder would be the first rookie elevation saying he was having an outstanding preseason and was able to compete at his best now the body is right. I think he's shown enough to suggest he's probably the best he's been in years. Ray copped it last year when in reality he was having his most consistent season ever. Montagna has enough runs on the board that he could have a down season and get excused last year. Perception is subjective I guess.

A week is a long time in football.

Collingwood came hungry from their spanking by Adelaide last week, we looked 'lethargic' after our initial blitz in the first half of the 1st quarter.

Roberton, Steven & Armo - our 3 best on the night, made mistakes like teammates, but pretty much gave their all for 4 qrtrs
Longer - like the aggression, needs to get some footy 'smarts', particularly at ruck contests, was good but thought Grundy was much better
Membrey & Bruce - worked hard but conditions didn't suit
Newnes - got a decent amount of touches, ineffectiveness killed his impact on the game (57% DE), only 1 tackle
Saad & Lonie - small fwds on a wet ground against a team that dominated across half-back, not surprised
Schneider - didn't mind his game, tried to take it on as an experienced player amongst the 'kids', didn't necessarily come off, but was willing
Geary & Shenton - cannot fault their endeavour, but decision making & disposal lets them down regularly
Dunstan - came & went in patches of the game, 22 disp & 4 tackles was a decent game
Sinclair - did some good things when he got the ball, seemed starved of it by spending too much time up fwd, looked better as he got some time following the ball around
Billings - not his night, but still got 19 disposals, just needs more games into his legs
Delaney - battled hard, felt like the 50/50's, where he & Cloke had hold of each other, he got the rough end
Wright - needs to start, is backing himself, which is good to see & what he needs to do
McCartin - 1st game for a KPF in wet conditions, obviously nervous, but will be better for the run
Savage - no easy possessions for him after qrtr time, but battled on
Weller - no impact
Fisher & Dempster - not the players they were from yesteryear, battled under bombardment of I50's, bit fumbly at times, particularly Dempster

Learn from it, work hard on the track & move onto next week.

I was sitting level one so hard to see everything that's going on....I know I saw Mav with Pendles for a lot of the game but did he stay with him all night?

Did anyone ever end up going to Swan? You could see from early on he was going to have a big game, it was odd to see him going around on his own. I thought maybe Roberton or Dunstan could run with him.

Swan had 15 inside 50s last night, ridiculous stat

We will take time, the kids will show signs, whether it be a quarter, a half or a match, but until they get the games into them they are going to be inconsistent. We need to patient, and aware of this.
Last week was a glimpse into the future as was the first quarter last night. We're in for another tough year, but that's not to say we can't take enjoyment out of the performances of our kids. Strength through loyalty, stick by the club.

A week is a long time in football.

Collingwood came hungry from their spanking by Adelaide last week, we looked 'lethargic' after our initial blitz in the first half of the 1st quarter.

Roberton, Steven & Armo - our 3 best on the night, made mistakes like teammates, but pretty much gave their all for 4 qrtrs
Longer - like the aggression, needs to get some footy 'smarts', particularly at ruck contests, was good but thought Grundy was much better
Membrey & Bruce - worked hard but conditions didn't suit
Newnes - got a decent amount of touches, ineffectiveness killed his impact on the game (57% DE), only 1 tackle
Saad & Lonie - small fwds on a wet ground against a team that dominated across half-back, not surprised
Schneider - didn't mind his game, tried to take it on as an experienced player amongst the 'kids', didn't necessarily come off, but was willing
Geary & Shenton - cannot fault their endeavour, but decision making & disposal lets them down regularly
Dunstan - came & went in patches of the game, 22 disp & 4 tackles was a decent game
Sinclair - did some good things when he got the ball, seemed starved of it by spending too much time up fwd, looked better as he got some time following the ball around
Billings - not his night, but still got 19 disposals, just needs more games into his legs
Delaney - battled hard, felt like the 50/50's, where he & Cloke had hold of each other, he got the rough end
Wright - needs to start, is backing himself, which is good to see & what he needs to do
McCartin - 1st game for a KPF in wet conditions, obviously nervous, but will be better for the run
Savage - no easy possessions for him after qrtr time, but battled on
Weller - no impact
Fisher & Dempster - not the players they were from yesteryear, battled under bombardment of I50's, bit fumbly at times, particularly Dempster

Learn from it, work hard on the track & move onto next week.

It helped Grundy that Billy was unable to touch him with out giving away a free kick then when he did the same thing back it was okay. Mumford was able to just push him on the ground but apparently it's illegal now that he's the bigger player. At least three times Sinclair had players fall on his back for no free kicks. Savage got a huge hit from Cloke and will probably not be able to train for the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back