Saints v Pies: The Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't help that we fell back into our old habit of just blind bombing the ball out of defense and hoping a team mate catches it. It never seems to go to another
Saint.
When we work the ball back out rather than kick and hope we're a different side.

Agree but you kind of understand the defenders just wanting to get it out of there when it's going in so often.

It doesn't help that we fell back into our old habit of just blind bombing the ball out of defense and hoping a team mate catches it. It never seems to go to another
Saint.
When we work the ball back out rather than kick and hope we're a different side.

I thought it went to alot of 50/50s. We just lost more then we won and it went straight back in.

Agree but you kind of understand the defenders just wanting to get it out of there when it's going in so often.

this, didn't they have something ridiculous like 70+ inside fifties?

I find the criticism of our defenders weekly quite harsh, people jump on a poor kick under pressure in defensive 50 without ever contemplating the person who likely long bombed it in there, their defensive efforts to win said ball, and the lack of options given to help a guy out of situation.

Happened last week two once Suns won back momentum too.

Defenders boo-boos always pounced on more.

this, didn't they have something ridiculous like 70+ inside fifties?

I find the criticism of our defenders weekly quite harsh, people jump on a poor kick under pressure in defensive 50 without ever contemplating the person who likely long bombed it in there, their defensive efforts to win said ball, and the lack of options given to help a guy out of situation.

Happened last week two once Suns won back momentum too.

Defenders boo-boos always pounced on more.

Yeah they had 77!!

When we are getting so comprehensively beaten up the ground it's near on impossible for the defenders

I felt we would match Collingwood, and get close. The played really well, there is no denying it, but they are a team sitting 10th to 16th and going no where for the next few years, so its disappointing, especially the last quarter where we seemed exhausted.

From the stands it seemed as soon as they blanketed our midfield we simply couldn't do anything, even with longer playing well.

Anyways, we need a better effort against the Blues to at least match them and for us to break our duck in wellington.

We did not deserve a 12 goal loss tonight. Sure, the boys made errors & appeared outclassed, but I don't think I've ever seen such ridiculous one-eyed umpiring in my life. From the 2nd quarter onwards, it was like pushing s**t up a hill & became so mentally disintegrating that whatever we did, we weren't rewarded for & it broke us.

Billy Longer was having a great game until the umpires broke him... Grundy is nothing more than a flopper. Billy was too scared to do anything after he easily shifted Grundy in rucks duels around the ground, but was pinged for frees against when Grundy continually flopped to the ground... Weak as piss

And don't even get me started on Pendlebury. Using his head as a battering ram & being rewarded for it.

Delaney v Cloke was a great tough & fair contest.... that was until the umpires got involved.

Play that game again, with 3 different umpires, & I believe we lose by about 6-7 goals, which is about right. We wouldn't win, as Collingwood were superior, but we sure as hell wouldn't be blown away like we were tonight by umpiring that had serious repercussions on the end score line

I just want free kicks, that are there, paid both ways consistently.... Tonight it most certainly did not happen & it was disgraceful
Good take on the game, I was disappointed in the Selwood style adopted by Pendles hope he loses that as it sure is annoying.
You guys have some real good emerging players and I look forward to some good tussles in the future.

Think both teams are tracking nicely and in 2-3 years will be up there contending again.

Hope you smash the blues next week!

The point is, nobody is perfect. Schneider did more than enough to earn his spot and he was a long way from our worst last night. I don't care how old he is, he is in our best 22 right now.

To drop him due to his age in order to develop a kid means we would be tanking. It's even more insane to say we need his spot to develop a kid when we already had Dunstan, Billings, Longer, Bruce, Membrey, McCartin, Wright, Lonie and Sinclair out on the park. Not to mention Newnes and Shenton who are both pretty inexperienced in the scheme of things.

That's basically half of our side who are in an 'early development' phase of their careers.

To say that Schneider doesn't deserve a game because of his disposal last night is just wrong. Jack Steven and Shane Savage are both senior player and both had a lower DE %. Should we drop Savage and give McKenzie his spot at half back for development?
Where did I say that we should drop him? I didn't & I actually don't want him dropped. I want him to play smarter football. He's a smart player, he needs to use his smarts to make our team better. Like mysainters said in an earlier post, I believe Adam's game was a bit 'meh' & nearly fell off the couch when I saw he had had it 27-28 times including 7 tackles. He was extremely uninfluential IMO & needs to realise that he's slowed down & the game has gotten faster & he doesn't have the same amount of time as he used to to dispose of the ball.

Rough_Edges I'm tagging you in this to as an explanation to my earlier posts you've replied to.

Feel free to reply, but for mine it was one of the most uninfluential 28 touch game I've ever seen & I'm not going to be saying what a good game it was because, quite frankly, it wasn't. He needs to play smarter.

Agree on Pendles.

Collingwood fans wrecked Cloke, Bronx cheering got in his head over the years...so damaging.
Agree on Pendles, but Cloke thing is wrong look at his action it is all over the shop.
The angle his shoulders are, his high ball drop, the follow through when in close.....

He is so much different when outside 50 just relaxes and follows through much better, not sure on his pre kick routine either.

If he got it all together he will kick 12 one day.
Not sure what the club can do they have got Trevor Hendy working on his mental side but surely a good kicking coach would help.

Opinions vs evidence on Schnieder

Seriously guys... He played better than most... Just on straight out contribution.

Stop trying to convince others of your opinion... Most will just look at the output.

If you missed his meh 28 touches and more importantly defensive work, watch the replay.

Rofl.... I'd expect a 20 yr old veteran of just 4 AFL games to make a blue here & there, but I don't expect a 31 yr old 200+ game veteran to do the same

Have some perspective please
Membrey did some nice things and looks like a good pick up for you guys.
He did stuff up there, but another time took a great mark from behind and played on to deliver a smart kick to a team mate on his own.

Will be a player for the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opinions vs evidence on Schnieder

Seriously guys... He played better than most... Just on straight out contribution.

Stop trying to convince others of your opinion... Most will just look at the output.

If you missed his meh 28 touches and more importantly defensive work, watch the replay.
Let's move on about Schneider.

Some think he was good, some think he wasn't.

Just going around in circles now.
I'm leaving it alone. Not cranky at differences of opinion, just trying to share mine.

No harm, no foul.... Now,let's beat the Blues on ANZAC Day! :)

And I hope Schneider sticks it up me with 4 goals in a BOG performance ;)

Our forward line's experience before last night:

Bruce - 27 games
Billings - 17 games
Lonie - 2 Games
Sinclair - 2 games
McCartin - 0 games
Membrey - 3 games
Saad- 31 games (2 games since serving 18 month ban)

Definitely not surprised by the result having a look at that.
Add that about 20 of those games for Bruce we're in the backline.

Scary question?

Middle of the road team... 74 without 4 of their keys to match our outs.

How will we go against
Haw, Adel, Freo, Syd

I'd hoped we we going to be consistently competitive.
I wouldn't mind 22 losses under 5 goals. With 4 qtr efforts.
All the kids talk is also rubbish imo
We are an AFL club that pays 9.6M to its players, we should be competitive

We do realise Collingwood had loads of kids last night
At least 12 guys under 23

AR would be bitterly disappointed and would not justify that capitulation

Agree on Pendles, but Cloke thing is wrong look at his action it is all over the shop.
The angle his shoulders are, his high ball drop, the follow through when in close.....

He is so much different when outside 50 just relaxes and follows through much better, not sure on his pre kick routine either.

If he got it all together he will kick 12 one day.
Not sure what the club can do they have got Trevor Hendy working on his mental side but surely a good kicking coach would help.

you don't think the stick given him from his own fans hasn't damaged his mindset?

imagining lining up and seeing a pies fan on the big screen head in her hands not able to watch?

You can hear the audience audible groans when he misses, at that's just his first attempt.

Think it has messed him up, he's only human.

Saints fans bronxed Kosi and it never helped his confidence.

Credit to cloke, he keeps running to contests, keeps putting in effort.

I honestly felt sorry for him.

Cloke played ok as he should of, considering the amount of supply and lack of pressure on the supply.

How he got votes I'll never know... Maybe if he kicked those gimmies and got 9?
Really though, a great KF would have bagged 12
God forbid we allow Kennedy, Buddy, Hawk or Rough the same ball.

Armo should have got a vote clearly

Scary question?

How will we go against
Haw, Adel, Freo, Syd

No doubt we were very poor however Collingwood were still slightly more experienced than us.

We averaged 60 games per person, Collingwood 75.

Not much doubt those teams will best us just hope we play harder.

AR and The club will be so disappointed we white flagged on our only Friday night game.

you don't think the stick given him from his own fans hasn't damaged his mindset?

imagining lining up and seeing a pies fan on the big screen head in her hands not able to watch?

You can hear the audience audible groans when he misses, at that's just his first attempt.

Think it has messed him up, he's only human.

Saints fans bronxed Kosi and it never helped his confidence.

Credit to cloke, he keeps running to contests, keeps putting in effort.

I honestly felt sorry for him.
You may be onto something there, just glad he appears to be able to block it out.
I think they have tried to remedy his action, but find it more beneficial to work on his mental application.
We have a good track record of forwards who get the yips.:(

As long as he has 10 scoring shots we should get at least 4 goals, so he just needs to get those opportunities and if he keeps his work ethic up he creates those opportunities.

Definitely prefer him from outside 40!;)

Scary question?

How will we go against
Haw, Adel, Freo, Syd

Yes pies were young too.

Their coach made moves though.

First quarter break he beefed the midfield with little to zero resistance from our box.

Why just criticise players?

We should of given the kids experience/efucation for maybe a quarter, but that's enough?

I wouldn't of cared if our midfield consisted of Armo, Geary, Shenton, Schneider, Savage at three quarter time. Seasoned bodies that could at least make a contest.

Least the likes of Billings, Dunstan, Sinclair etc wouldn't of been so humiliated.

Also surprised we didn't ruck Bruce more, with Billy inside 50 for spurts.

St Luke

You do realise Schnieder was one of the most effective players on the ground?

He made a big error... As others did

But 28pos, 7 tackles, clearances and assists...
Not sure you judged his game well
I'll have to put my hand up and say his numbers surprised me in the end. Especially the seven tackles...maybe I suffer from Schneider blindness?

Our disposal efficiency fell away from last week, and as I have said before the game style we are trying to implement gets badly burned on turnover. Would like to see us play some tempo football after a run of goals comes to a stop. We just looked frenetic in attack and then tired in defence at times.

but they are a team sitting 10th to 16th and going no where for the next few years, so its disappointing, .

Sorry wolfpup, but this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of our list (ie. you are unaware of who we have yet to debut etc). Twelve of the players we had out there last night have played less than 50 games (Saints had 14 and would have been 13 if Riewoldt played). Not going to argue with you about it on your board any further, but this statement is pretty silly.

If you said the same thing about Carlton, you'd be right.

Last edited:
Take the good (the first quarter) with the bad(last 3 quarters) and understand that we are a young side and we will get younger in the next few years.

Lots of positives and it's just unfortunate we don't have a midfield. the next 24 months we will see a transformation. The norm will be our first quarter. Just be patient.

Also don't get over excited at a win like last week. Just keep your feet on the ground at all times.

Btw billy longer is coming along. Needs a few more years in the afl system but there is a reason he was taken at pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back