Saints vs Crows: Good and Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

GOOD:
- stanley: slowly pulling it together
- dunstan: very good until he died in the 2nd half
- gwilt up fwd was very good
- ray/jones: so under-rated and under-loved. both would be in the top 5 in the B&F right now
- steven: good game back

BAD:
- armo: injured i know but ive had enough
- run and spread was shocking
- some decision making by our players is appauling. thankfully the majority of it is from the olderish brigade
- maister: back to the VFL for confidence
- savage: back to the VFL
- dempsters first qtr was awfull, so unlike him

Is it worthwhile watching the game? Missed it due to working on an assignment with a mate.
Wouldn't bother mate. Maybe the first quarter but wouldn't go any further.

Good
Jimmy Webster really shows classy moments, can't wait for him to hit 50 games
Saunders, took his moment, love his endeavour
Dempster back to AA form
We already miss hickey, no hickey no stkilda? ;)

Bad
I'm getting slammed for this opinion, but need more still from Stanley. Scoreboard pressure, needs to kick 2-3 at least a game to help out Roo
Beau, time to pass the torch to lee, and reckon he'll be a terrific sport about it too
Savage, though looks better wing/forward later in the game
Playing injured/sore players, joey still had a chunk of ice on his calf, his kicking is off too
Wright injury, tough run for the kid
Disposal efficiency, Hayes, joey, Geary, Armo

We need another KPF option outside of Riewoldt pretty quickly. Teams will just shut Roo out of it and that's it, we're done. In the short term, obviously pump games into Lee, but hopefully we recruit a decent KPF in the off season either through draft or trade.

I'm satisfied with how we've plugged holes defensively, but forward line is our major concern at the moment.

Good
Jimmy Webster really shows classy moments, can't wait for him to hit 50 games
Saunders, took his moment, love his endeavour
Dempster back to AA form
We already miss hickey, no hickey no stkilda? ;)

Bad
I'm getting slammed for this opinion, but need more still from Stanley. Scoreboard pressure, needs to kick 2-3 at least a game to help out Roo
Beau, time to pass the torch to lee, and reckon he'll be a terrific sport about it too
Savage, though looks better wing/forward later in the game
Playing injured/sore players, joey still had a chunk of ice on his calf, his kicking is off too
Wright injury, tough run for the kid
Disposal efficiency, Hayes, joey, Geary, Armo

jimmy web does have some class, but today i felt he had a poor one.

38% DE

Watching players like Geary and Ray makes me question whether we're doing enough to develop foot skills. I can't really think of anyone who's kicking has improved the last few years (could be way off). Even Montagna's kicking has gone backwards a bit.

I was listening to Al Clarkson on the radio the other day and he said while kicking skills is a high priority in draftees they still do plenty of work on it. I wonder if we're putting in that extra work.

We need another KPF option outside of Riewoldt pretty quickly. Teams will just shut Roo out of it and that's it, we're done. In the short term, obviously pump games into Lee, but hopefully we recruit a decent KPF in the off season either through draft or trade.

I'm satisfied with how we've plugged holes defensively, but forward line is our major concern at the moment.

Quite a few times today we could have kicked it to Stanley/Maister in a 1 on 1 contest but instead kicked to Roo who would be against 2 Crows players.As good as Roo is this is not a great option because he will get beaten a decent amount of the time. Lee might give us an option the players are more confident in, but ultimately we just need to kick it to the higher % contest regardless of who it is.

There was also a few times where had had possession inside 50 but for some reason players were looking to pass the ball to a team mate instead of taking the shot. I understand the importance of doing the team thing, but sometimes players need to step up, take the responsibility and have the shot at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching players like Geary and Ray makes me question whether we're doing enough to develop foot skills. I can't really think of anyone who's kicking has improved the last few years (could be way off). Even Montagna's kicking has gone backwards a bit.

I was listening to Al Clarkson on the radio the other day and he said while kicking skills is a high priority in draftees they still do plenty of work on it. I wonder if we're putting in that extra work.

Clinton Jones has improved his kicking. The new guys all looked better at playing the run and spread game and didn't fumble and drop marks like some of the older boys. I think we have started to look for guys with good skills since Pelchen has been driving the recruiters. Crouch was an extremely high out put mid but wasn't as high in the draft as he would have been 5 to 10 years ago where getting the ball seemed to be the main priority.

Today was a very disappointing day today and it won't help with some flog coming on here and acting like a know it all....BUT!
I'm so ******* sick of people giving Maister excuses like he is at least 'crashing packs'. The guy for the last 4 weeks, as he was for majority of last year is NOT AFL STANDARD. Its so embarrassing to see someone that pathetic run around and wear our colours. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh and a few too many beers deep, but I will never go to another game where he is playing. I wouldn't be honest if I said I felt this way about him and no one else because Shane savage is the laziest footballer I've ever seen. If you're not not the most skillful (Clint jones) we can excuse that, but if you are walking around watching your opponent grab marks, run off you and not even putting in any sort of effort you can * off. It was pretty sad having Adelaide supporters around me laughing at savage and his ineptness to do absolutely anything for the team today. Lay a ******* shepherd or a spoil or do anything! I'm happy no one celebrated his goal at the end because I'm sure everyone else on the field felt he deserved the praise he got which was nothing. Thank god we Dunstan and acres in test trade.

Now despite the huge loss which I don't think any of us saw coming I didn't think it was all bad.
Saunders tried hard, armo did as well despite his atrocious disposal. Stanley played well despite his lol dropped mark in the last. Was great to see Jack back especially that amazing goal in the first. And then there was roo, who is just the most ridiculous footballer I've seen play.

Unfortunate Joey didn't turn up.

Hopefully a better effort next week against the dons.

I agree, think we are too Roo focused when we are going forward, if we are going to do it, at least ensure there is a small at his feet!

Good today:
Saunders - too his opportunity after being down last week
Dunstan - Great inside, think he looked tired 2nd half so easy week on the track I think!
Webster - think he did some good things today and some not so good, but is young so to be expected
Roo - is Roo as always
Stanley - think he doing better in ruck and took couple good marks today, think it will come for him

Bad:
Jones - getting lots of possies but dont think he did much with them today, looks a bit lost not taggin when watching @ the game I think
Ray - butchers just bout every disposal, but I may just notice his bad ones. Sharron does jump up into contests and spoils opposition marks
Wright - Such a great young bloke who is having crapola luck with injuries, was hoping he'd play 22 this year

Back from the game.
Crows looked faster slicker and better organised going forward.
Got the run of the ball and the umpiring (not that had a major influence but it makes me feel better to explain a 80 + point loss!)

We butchered the ball going inside 50. Confidence and experience you cannot buy when making that split second decision. We will improve on that.
Kicking to Rooey when there are three on him makes no sense. Stanley was often out of position hence kicking to no 12. Still think that in Stanley we are seeing gradual improvement whereas old Beau seems to be going backwards he gives his all but I do not think that he is AFL standard. Tom Lee is a must next week still not sure that he is ready but he needs a chance. Had my doubts re Saunders not an more. He is in my best 22. Longer clearly outclassed more time at Sandy I reckon.

The Bad Jones second quarter I think calling for a handball in the defensive half when he is on the wrong side for a left sided player did a U turn caught ball up. That is just not thinking through the consequences of his actions and he does it too often.

Running into fwd 50 and missing targets ball ended out of bounds 4 times in second qtr. Makes me want to spew!

Savage got better as the game went on, give him time.

Lets give Billings Ross Bruce and Markworth a go

I agree, think we are too Roo focused when we are going forward, if we are going to do it, at least ensure there is a small at his feet!

Good today:
Saunders - too his opportunity after being down last week
Dunstan - Great inside, think he looked tired 2nd half so easy week on the track I think!
Webster - think he did some good things today and some not so good, but is young so to be expected
Roo - is Roo as always
Stanley - think he doing better in ruck and took couple good marks today, think it will come for him

Bad:
Jones - getting lots of possies but dont think he did much with them today, looks a bit lost not taggin when watching @ the game I think
Ray - butchers just bout every disposal, but I may just notice his bad ones. Sharron does jump up into contests and spoils opposition marks
Wright - Such a great young bloke who is having crapola luck with injuries, was hoping he'd play 22 this year

Jones got a lot of uncontested possessions today. Outside mid is not his best role.

Jones got a lot of uncontested possessions today. Outside mid is not his best role.
Correct, but we are playing him in nowhere land up forward half the time and he ends up as a outside player.
Think his days are numbered in the best 22......

I knew at the start of the year that we'd struggle and probably only win a handful of games. But after winning the first two games, and being competitive away against West Coast, I got my hopes a bit too high this week. Still, a very disappointing game.

Good:
- Newnes, Dunstan, Saunders continue to impress
- Stanley is proving us wrong, and is definitely best 22
- "Swingman" is the buzz word in the AFL at the moment, and we have one in Gwilt

Bad:
- Beau Maister is not at AFL standard. He had zero confidence after missing that set shot, and I'd just about play an injured Lewis Pierce ahead of him right now.
- Nathan Wright's leg :(
- Our players didn't seem to have any time or space with the ball in hand
- Overall, our effort was about on par with our NAB challenge games

Correct, but we are playing him in nowhere land up forward half the time and he ends up as a outside player.
Think his days are numbered in the best 22......

Back in the McQualter days, McQualter would play the defensive forward, but he was also an important link up player, receiving the ball, holding it for long enough for "someone " to get forward then passing. Jones can't play that sort of role.

Back in the McQualter days, McQualter would play the defensive forward, but he was also an important link up player, receiving the ball, holding it for long enough for "someone " to get forward then passing. Jones can't play that sort of role.
Could Simpkin play that role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back