Discussion Saintsational

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty itself is stable and growing, and the Saints board is growing too, faster than several other club boards here on BigFooty. Some of that growth can be attributed to an influx of SS posters over the last year or so, but more of it comes from young fans finding us and returning a few times then finding themselves posting more and more frequently.

Both boards are valuable assets for the St Kilda FC and I hope that both prosper. SS suffered stagnation with no new members admitted for some time. This has probably been the biggest issue re: number of posters. I believe that issue has been addressed, but there will be a lag before numbers grow again.

One issue mentioned to me is that the posters at SS are like a dysfunctional family - they all know each other and react to each other in ways that don't seem friendly or justified at times and outsiders don't know how to react.

I went to SS once or twice and it was filled with incessant whining and arguing about minute details. I just really don't have the interest or time for that kind of melodrama. It's just footy, it's just entertainment.

BF is realistic, pessimistic, and sometimes depressive but always supportive. That's what a club environment should be. We all know we are currently shithouse, but you still fly the flag and recognize the good. Why make the experience a painfully negative one? I wouldn't follow a team if my only interaction was perpetual negativity. That just seems very silly to me.

i joined SS for about 5 min under a different name before i tried BF.
Seemed too bitchy for my liking so i tried BF instead.
I wouldnt exactly say im part of the BF furniture yet, but ive really enjoyed some of the posters views on here.
Mods are firm without being over the top IMO as well:thumbsu:

I get on both, both have their idiotic people and their good ones. I don't find either more bitchy particularly. I have had a few aggressive people on both. I think BF seems to have a younger vibe. SS is more of an older crowd would be my guess. Saintspremiers should stir the pot on here a bit. He is what you might call one of the more colourful posters on SS. No offence SP, just thought I'd warn them.

I like BF and like others had trouble attempting to join FF initially when I lived in England. Now I'm back in Oz I use it less but still like to get insights you just can't get anywhere else, from at the ground reports about our reserves, to rumors staring who knows where about trade time, to expert opinion on the WADA code, to people trying to get info from players at B&Fs! It's a great forum not to be taken too seriously and I whole heartedly enjoy my time here and appreciate the diversity of opinion (and have no idea what most people do in the real world!) and the sense of shared pain that only one elusive thing can ever resolve.

Thanks Mods and go Saints!!!

im on both but read and post here a lot more. SS is petulant, everyone is so concerned with their reputation and being right over there. There is one SS member that posts on here and puts me to sleep but I have them blocked :) I hope saying that isn't Bad Manners

eyy? ah forgetaboutit

Also bigfooty should have a sign next to the join up link saying "IT'S EASY", because it is and I should/would have done it long ago.

No SS experience so can't offer comparisons, so can only comment on BF. In just over 3 years here, I think it would be right to say that Saints BF posters are:
  • Insightful, perceptive, knowledgable, creative
  • On the inside rail with all discussions at the club, training, events, meetings on the draft, Richo's house and commercial services
  • Are able to source facts through making contact with a players mothers, hairdressers brothers, next door neighbour
  • Loyal, dedicated, fanatical and balanced
  • Possessed of investigative and tracking abilities that ASIO, CIA and major police forces would all be proud
  • Able to post and defend completely opposite personal opinions within minutes / hours / days of each other
  • Proud to be St Kilda members and supporters

Last edited:
No SS experience so can't offer comparisons, so can only comment on BF. In just over 3 years here, I think it would be right to say that Saints BF posters are:
  • Insightful, perceptive, knowledgable, creative
  • On the inside rail with all discussions at the club, training, events, meetings on the draft, Richo's house and commercial services
  • Are able to source facts through making contact with a players mothers, hairdressers brothers, next door neighbour
  • Loyal, dedicated, fanatical and balance
  • Possessed of investigative and tracking abilities that ASIO, CIA and major police forces would all be proud
  • Able to post and defend completely opposite personal opinions within minutes / hours / days of each other
  • Proud to be St Kilda members and supporters

It sounds like boy scouts...I might go back to fight club before we start holding hands;)

I was a long time participant on SS in it's various versions since the late 90's... I joined over here in 08 but only popped over on rare occasions.

Over the past 2-3 years I would now spent 95% of my Saints online time here. It's purely due to rubbish baiting & personal arguments that go on there. A difference of opinion here is generally celebrated (with the exception of incessant negativity of one)...on SS even great discussion invariably turn into a slanging matches (due to one individual mainly).

As can be seen from my join date here I have been around a fair while. In the early days of Bigfooty the Saints board was a graveyard and SS was the place to talk all things Saints.

Came over here for a look last year and was amazed at the traffic and the informed football discussion.

Also here Ignored members are totally ignored, you don't get to see their trolling or rubbish at all. At SS the Foe function doesn't get rid of quoted posts of the ignore member.

I have a couple of members on ignore here and it is great that you don't have to read their garbage. It can be confusing when someone answers their posts but so be it.

The football discussion here seems to be a bit more informed and reasonable. Sort of like BF is broadsheet and SS is tabloid. However let me stress both have their place.

For draft and trading discussion BF seems to be the place to be and it is good because even though it is a Saints board it is not so insular and opposition supporters can post and many times their input contributes greatly to the discussion. That cant happen at SS as it is wholly a Saints supporter site.

Over the past 2-3 years I would now spent 95% of my Saints online time here. It's purely due to rubbish baiting & personal arguments that go on there. A difference of opinion here is generally celebrated (with the exception of incessant negativity of one)...on SS even great discussion invariably turn into a slanging matches (due to one individual mainly).
Pretty much the reason I left there 2 or 3 years ago after a couple of years and 3000 or so posts on there (under the username AnythingsPossibleSaints- didn't occur to me to use the same name here). I initially joined here to post on the cricket board, but eventually started posting on this board, even though it was a bit of a ghost-town at times.

Not a lot of interest in having to wade through page after page of trash on SS to get to the footy discussion. I returned there briefly about two years ago, but seemed to spend most of my time conversing with p66 (he was the main one responding to my posts) and explaining my posts to him after he'd misinterpret them and I just have no interest spending any of my spare time with him, or explaining myself to him, so I left.

You can get pretty much everything you need here. If there is any news it is generally posted here within minutes and if anything of real interest gets posted on SS then it is generally reported back here anyway and you don't have to trawl through all the fighting and bickering in order to get to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been fairly active on BF since 2005 - but hate to say that I lost interest some two years or so ago (towards the final months, but not quite the end of the Watters era) and 'killed' my then BF identity. Now I am the occasional reader and even less frequent poster - and notice that some others of that time seem to not spend a lot of time posting any more (e.g. sainter, Squizzy, L2M4G - what are they doing with the mods on here ?).

But I'd consider that quite common (I also spend far less time on facebook and twitter and cannot for the life in me remember my myspace password any more) and all in all this was / is a good board if you don't take it too serious and remember that the real life involves stepping out of your main door.

And I only lasted about a week on SS back in 2005 (and was also not accepted when I tried to re-join a year or so ago).

i joined SS for about 5 min under a different name before i tried BF.
Seemed too bitchy for my liking so i tried BF instead.
I wouldnt exactly say im part of the BF furniture yet, but ive really enjoyed some of the posters views on here.
Mods are firm without being over the top IMO as well:thumbsu:
Dude, you're the comfy couch by the fireside.

We've lost a few high quality posters along the way, but even in the 5 or so years I've been here (6 months lurking, 2 years under GiG), the board has grown and matured and been a fabulous place to visit and converse with, not withstanding the ugly 3 or so months surrounding the sacking of Scott Watters.

Started looking for a saints forum in august last year, found the two obviously chose bf.

I find big footy to be the 4 star holiday resort that looks after eveybody from the young to the old to the family of four.

SS is the $50 a night budget hotel that you stay at if you get lost.
I've always seen SS as the Wild West (since I joined here at least).

I've been fairly active on BF since 2005 - but hate to say that I lost interest some two years or so ago (towards the final months, but not quite the end of the Watters era) and 'killed' my then BF identity. Now I am the occasional reader and even less frequent poster - and notice that some others of that time seem to not spend a lot of time posting any more (e.g. sainter, Squizzy, L2M4G - what are they doing with the mods on here ?).

But I'd consider that quite common (I also spend far less time on facebook and twitter and cannot for the life in me remember my myspace password any more) and all in all this was / is a good board if you don't take it too serious and remember that the real life involves stepping out of your main door.

And I only lasted about a week on SS back in 2005 (and was also not accepted when I tried to re-join a year or so ago).

Holden? I recognized the avatar but wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence. Seems not! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back