Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams is on 350-400k.
He signed on in 2012 before his market value went up. It was reported at 1.1m for 3 years at the time.
If he leaves next year as a free agent we won't get much compo for him on account of him not being in our top pay bracket.
He's not eligible as a free agent till the following year so if he leaves he takes a punt through the draft... And we get nothing.

Hence why a deal of some sort will get done

Apologies if this has been covered but just wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding our salary cap room?

Over the last year or 2 I've seen media outlets mentions we didn't have much room to move in the cap, but I would now think we have ample room to chase a big name. We may have paid overs to attract players like Young and White, but we have cut some big contracts from our list recently and with the names thrown up for trade I think we could have $1m+ available.

Having a stab at yearly salary of the names we've lost over the last 2 seasons and possibly this trade period my guesses would be (approx.):

Maxwell $300-400k
Ball $300-400k
Lynch $200k
Lumumba $300k
Beams $400-600k
Shaw $300-400k
Thomas $300-400k
Johnson $200-300k
Didak $300-400k
Jolly $300k

These are massive guesses, but taking into account new recruits and contract renewals I still think we would have a lot of money to play with.

We should be chasing that big name on a ridiculous contract. Whenever a big name is being rumoured to have been offered a big contract it's always another club willing to splash the cash. If we honestly believe we have some good kids we should look at getting a star in the 23-26y.o. bracket and give them a big salary, and front-load it so we have room to move in future years. Stop trying to rely on 'moneyball' reject pick ups and Hine draft specials.
those prices are way underestimated. especially Daisy.. he didnt get that much of a pay rise going to the blues...

This thread is all the reasons why I rarely read BF, except for VFL input from some fantastic contributors, and can't be bothered posting. Everything regarding cap, figures, recruiting of players, is all speculative. No facts behind it. Why do you all get so wrapped up in it? Do we have cap space, don't we, who cares! Pay your membership, elect the right people, and let them worry about that s**t. Life's too short to care about things you can't control. I'd love to know how many people on here have a speculative salary cap budget worked out but wouldn't know their personal budget? My guess is the majority.

This thread is all the reasons why I rarely read BF, except for VFL input from some fantastic contributors, and can't be bothered posting. Everything regarding cap, figures, recruiting of players, is all speculative. No facts behind it. Why do you all get so wrapped up in it? Do we have cap space, don't we, who cares! Pay your membership, elect the right people, and let them worry about that s**t. Life's too short to care about things you can't control. I'd love to know how many people on here have a speculative salary cap budget worked out but wouldn't know their personal budget? My guess is the majority.
We actually enjoy talking and speculating about footy, there is nothing wrong with that at all...

So just hop back onto your high horse and ride away.

I've also heard that we have hardly any cap space. If we are restricted, then how can hawthorn afford this:

It all doesn't make any sense...
Been asking this for over a year. I'd pay Roughead 800k -900k to come to Collingwood considering Cloke gets that.
I'd pay 600k for Cyril to come to Collingwood.
I'd pay 600k for Gibson to come to Collingwood.
I'd pay 600k for Bruest to come to Collingwood.

It's bullshit!

Been asking this for over a year. I'd pay Roughead 800k -900k to come to Collingwood considering Cloke gets that.
I'd pay 600k for Cyril to come to Collingwood.
I'd pay 600k for Gibson to come to Collingwood.
I'd pay 600k for Bruest to come to Collingwood.

It's bullshit!

Problem is they are all quite happy to be on about $350-400k and wearing their premiership medals. I reckon Roughy would 'only' be on $500k and he is significantly better than Cloke who is on $750k'ish. Bruest would only be on about $350k but a player of that quality demands $500k and a club down the table like ours.

*My missus likes, nay, loves this*

Problem is they are all quite happy to be on about $350-400k and wearing their premiership medals. I reckon Roughy would 'only' be on $500k and he is significantly better than Cloke who is on $750k'ish. Bruest would only be on about $350k but a player of that quality demands $500k and a club down the table like ours.
So our players are greedy?

So our players are greedy?

I never plan anything in my life.... but I have a team list for the first round 2015. I'm grossly overweight and I cant tell you by how much because I refuse to worry about it. However, I know the weight and height of every player on the Magpie list. I havent done a tax return in 10 years but I've financially modeled player payments for the next five years under my own projected telecast deal. I live alone and havent touched a woman in 10 years but I have my friends at BF to keep me warm. I was happy until recently...when the season ended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back