Salvaging the rest of the season, 2016 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

We play GWS at Etihad in R23 also. Depends on how they're looking in terms of finals, but if they're going to miss, they could run a half-strength side.

We play GWS at Etihad in R23 also. Depends on how they're looking in terms of finals, but if they're going to miss, they could run a half-strength side.
Could be a really special game that one.

Two wins in a row and the year will be 'satisfactory'. Nothing special but it will show we've made progress.

If we can't string two wins in a row together then I will see it as a failed year.

My 2c:

We'll get a real gauge on how much we've improved in the first five rounds of next year. If that makes you angry, read on (or copy paste the following --> * you)

This year, as much as people hate it, we've still been finding our feet, and gelling as a side. I find it strange that people seem to find it so hard to fathom how bad we still can be; after all, everybody is painfully aware of how bad we were.

The two conditions are linked. It's not as if a new coach and new players turns things around -- not even in (nearly) two seasons. It has affected everything: effort levels, players' confidence, ability to win games we should, ability (or not) to hit targets.

People have short memories. Richmond were atrocious at the start of the year. My (long-suffering, and let's not turn it into a contest) Tigers supporting friend desperately wanted Hardwick gone. I suspect that anything less than a PF game for the Tigers will ultimately make that a foregone conclusion, but right now (aside from some patches of quite bad football on the weekend) they look good. This is the Tigers team that people in 2009/10 were calling 'worse than Fitzroy', remember.

We unfortunately have to accept the fact that this is the nth rebuild - two years in. Richmond are still working on theirs - five years into it. Even then they're not genuine flag threats. But isn't that what we want? To at least be challenging top four? To believe, that if things go our way, we might make it into a Grand Final?

This is why the 'Get Goodwin in now' thread shits me. You can appoint Goodwin now if you want. Then in two years you'll be asking for the next guy to come in. And so on. Right now it's not fashionable to put faith in Roos, but I do. I don't necessarily take his coaching record into consideration -- what I do take into consideration is his entire career up to date. He's a battler (he played for a certain Fitzroy side), he's professional, he loves football (why else would you take this bloody job? Don't say money. There's more to it than that).

"We've heard it all before" you'll write. Well, that's true. We heard this s**t through Bailey and through Neeld. But neither of them have had the resources that Roos has had; nor the pedigree. Neither of them beat Adelaide in Adelaide or Geelong in Geelong. The improvement is there; right now it's just hidden under about 8 years of frustration.

Go nuts at Round 6 next year if we're still looking horrid. Sack whoever you want. By then, with another preseason, another draft/list cull, and five games under our collective belts, we'll know a lot more about this team.

My 2c:

We'll get a real gauge on how much we've improved in the first five rounds of next year. If that makes you angry, read on (or copy paste the following --> **** you)

This year, as much as people hate it, we've still been finding our feet, and gelling as a side. I find it strange that people seem to find it so hard to fathom how bad we still can be; after all, everybody is painfully aware of how bad we were.

The two conditions are linked. It's not as if a new coach and new players turns things around -- not even in (nearly) two seasons. It has affected everything: effort levels, players' confidence, ability to win games we should, ability (or not) to hit targets.

People have short memories. Richmond were atrocious at the start of the year. My (long-suffering, and let's not turn it into a contest) Tigers supporting friend desperately wanted Hardwick gone. I suspect that anything less than a PF game for the Tigers will ultimately make that a foregone conclusion, but right now (aside from some patches of quite bad football on the weekend) they look good. This is the Tigers team that people in 2009/10 were calling 'worse than Fitzroy', remember.

We unfortunately have to accept the fact that this is the nth rebuild - two years in. Richmond are still working on theirs - five years into it. Even then they're not genuine flag threats. But isn't that what we want? To at least be challenging top four? To believe, that if things go our way, we might make it into a Grand Final?

This is why the 'Get Goodwin in now' thread shits me. You can appoint Goodwin now if you want. Then in two years you'll be asking for the next guy to come in. And so on. Right now it's not fashionable to put faith in Roos, but I do. I don't necessarily take his coaching record into consideration -- what I do take into consideration is his entire career up to date. He's a battler (he played for a certain Fitzroy side), he's professional, he loves football (why else would you take this bloody job? Don't say money. There's more to it than that).

"We've heard it all before" you'll write. Well, that's true. We heard this s**t through Bailey and through Neeld. But neither of them have had the resources that Roos has had; nor the pedigree. Neither of them beat Adelaide in Adelaide or Geelong in Geelong. The improvement is there; right now it's just hidden under about 8 years of frustration.

Go nuts at Round 6 next year if we're still looking horrid. Sack whoever you want. By then, with another preseason, another draft/list cull, and five games under our collective belts, we'll know a lot more about this team.
Fair enough, us demon supporters need to stay the course a tad longer

My 2c:

We'll get a real gauge on how much we've improved in the first five rounds of next year. If that makes you angry, read on (or copy paste the following --> **** you)

You're right, Roos has to go.

Really, how many players could you give a tick to for this season?

Gawn, Viney, Vince, hard to rate McDonalds season, Garland?, Brayshaw, Hogan, Garlett, Jetta. I'm struggling to think of any more... N Jones hasn't risen to his lofty standards.

I'm gonna go against one of my main rules here but also how much of a difference will Petracca, Salem, Kent, Frost and another top 5 drafted midfielder make to the way we play next year

Petracca Kent an frost have serious wheels and I suspect we would run the ball more with them in the side

I've calmed down a little

I think you are right. You really can't change a culture in under 3 years and that is still what kills us.

The fact is, the playing group are still (mentally) incompetent losers. Less of the time now but they still slip back into this don't try to win just not lose by so much mode.

Have we improved this year? Well our best is better. Our worst is not any less worse if that makes sense.

And obviously we can all point to a few games where the loser mentality has reared its head eg gws, port, hawthorn, st kilda.

So I agree really can't make a call until mid next year and to be realistic I do t expect us to really break the mental shackles until 2017 - by then hopefully nearly all of the. Neeld error have departed

P.s I don't expect us to win any more games this year. Not impossible but I think we have shut down for 2015 now

I'm gonna go against one of my main rules here but also how much of a difference will Petracca, Salem, Kent, Frost and another top 5 drafted midfielder make to the way we play next year

Petracca Kent an frost have serious wheels and I suspect we would run the ball more with them in the side

I've calmed down a little
Petracca is green. And I just hope the kid can have an ok year next year after that knee injury. I'd hate for him to be another Morabito. Frost excites me as a really promising key defender. Love to see him up and about next year with McDonald and Garland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must beat Carlton, and we need to win another to finish of the year properly. Collingwood - no. North - maybe. Fremantle - no. Bulldogs - maybe. Carlton - ****ing hope so. GWS - maybe.

A few chances in there. Only chances.
I think we're a chance tomorrow against the Pies. No Cloke, Elliot possibly underdone- Must put the last 3 weeks behind us though.

Carlton and GWS are must wins. I don't give a flying ****, they are must wins, no excuses.

Yeah, GWS are significantly better than us so, based on that alone, will beat us. That said, they're also green and will likely fade towards the end of the H&A, which maybe gives us a chance. Where they sit in the finals race may be the decider though. There's three possible scenarios: 1) They can't make the finals and are flat and tired = GOOD; 2) They're in the finals and rest a few star kiddies = GOOD; 3) They need to win to make finals = VERY BAD. They're currently sitting 9th, outside the 8 on percentage, with Essendon, Port, Sydney, Carlton, us to play. So they're still a good chance to make it.

It also makes a difference (shouldn't, but ****) whether we play it at MCG or Shityhad. Has that been settled yet?

GWS is not going to be an easy one, especially on verge of their first finals appearance. I am not even confident against Carlton mate, IMO we are in the same spot as Brisbane and Carlton.

Yeah, GWS are significantly better than us so, based on that alone, will beat us. That said, they're also green and will likely fade towards the end of the H&A, which maybe gives us a chance. Where they sit in the finals race may be the decider though. There's three possible scenarios: 1) They can't make the finals and are flat and tired = GOOD; 2) They're in the finals and rest a few star kiddies = GOOD; 3) They need to win to make finals = VERY BAD. They're currently sitting 9th, outside the 8 on percentage, with Essendon, Port, Sydney, Carlton, us to play. So they're still a good chance to make it.

It also makes a difference (shouldn't, but ****) whether we play it at MCG or Shityhad. Has that been settled yet?

Like I said, I don't give a flying *, standards need to be raised at this club right now. Not next year, not when Goodwin takes over, right ******* now. The MFC have been procrastinating harder then I do with lit reviews, time to pull the ******* finger out and DO.THE.WORK. I don't see GWS playing finals btw.

There's the numb, depressed part of me that says we'd be lucky to eek out even one more win based on recent weeks. I'd say this accounts for 90% of my current feeling.

There's the gullible, optimistic part of me that says we could actually pull off three wins and finish the season feeling good. This accounts for...hmm...maybe 2% of my feeling.

That final 8% is the stoic, determined side of me that thinks we should comfortably grab one or two and be competitive for the rest. This is the part of me that just needs to see the improvement, as incremental as it may be. The part of me that desperately wants to be rewarded for keeping the faith. In this mindset I see a win against Carlton as an absolute must. A win OR close game against GWS is also a must. Then I just want the team to show some grit against the others. This is what I would consider the baseline achievement. Anything less is a failed year. Anything more is an unexpected bonus.

I want us to ******* tackle like the Saints do every week.

I'd rather we kicked liked the Sinners. And the Sinners are much more fun...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back